Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unbreakable Sports Records

Dan Uggla's recently stopped hitting streak made me have my annual will-anybody-ever-break-DiMaggio's-hitting-streak conversation with myself. For years I felt like DiMaggio's hitting streak is the one that would stand for a very, very long time. In fact, had Joe not had his streak ended in Cleveland, it would have gone on for something like another 16 games. Now, I know that there is a longer hitting streak in college baseball, but that isn't a Major League Record. I was very much aware of Pete's 44 game hit streak, which was exciting. Then came Ironman Ripken's consecutive game streak. I also think about Hersheiser's consecutive no runs allowed streak and Favre's consecutive game streak, though Manning is on his tail. Of course, Pete's all-time hit record is a tough one to top.

There are many other records in in professional sports and I have three questions:

-Which professional sports record do you think will never be broken?

-Which professional sports record do you not want broken?

-What is your favorite all time sports record?

For me, the answers are Ripken's record, DiMaggio's consecutive hit record and I have to think about the third question.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post

-Which professional sports record do you think will never be broken?
    Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in one inning. And if that wasn't good enough, it was off the same pitcher.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

My answer to all three? Ripken's record of 2632 consecutive games played. Unreal record, with an unreal amount of talent over such a period of time, without injury or the word "quit". It won't ever be broken again, period.

If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

Cy young 511 wins
    Nolan ryan. 57xx strikeouts

Untouchable

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in one inning. And if that wasn't good enough, it was off the same pitcher.
    That was awesome when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanxman04 View Post
    My answer to all three? Ripken's record of 2632 consecutive games played. Unreal record, with an unreal amount of talent over such a period of time, without injury or the word "quit". It won't ever be broken again, period.

Kevin Costner almost blew the whole thing

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/costner.asp

-Which professional sports record do you think will never be broken? Nicklaus's majors record. Tiger isn't going to make it from here. There is so much money in the sport and players are now coming from across the globe that, assuming Tiger doesn't catch him, he won't be caught.

-Which professional sports record do you not want broken? The one above, especially if it involves Tiger breaking it.

-What is your favorite all time sports record? I'm not a huge fan of baseball, but Ripken's record speaks to the idea of an athlete playing the game he loved and for all the right reasons. I doubt anyone could have achieved such longevity without being so well grounded. It's a great statement about the man and about his character. Refreshing as hell.
    X A V I E R

Easy for all 3:

Reds Pitcher Johnny Vander Meer's Back-to-Back No-Hitters - No one will EVER throw 3 NONO's in a row.

Bonus trivia: Who was the last Brooklyn Dodger he faced in the second one?

Cy Young's 511 career wins and UCLA's 7 straight national titles in hoops are both absolutely untouchable. I like to argue this point in both the 'improbable' and 'impossible' categories. A few that i often reference:

Impossible:
    Cy Young 511 wins
    UCLA 7 straight titles
    Cal Ripken 2632 straight games
    Pete Rose 4256 hits
    Wayne Gretzky 4 200 point seasons
    Nolan Ryan 7 no hitters and 5714 strikeouts

Improbable:
    Dimaggio 56 game hit streak
    Jack Nicklaus 18 majors
    Wilt Chamberlain's 100 pt game
    Brett Favre 297 consecutive starts

Interesting point Dash with Jack and Tiger. I suspect that there were plenty more folks rooting for Tiger to beat Jack's record before his personal tribulations. Which brings up an interesting point to me. It seems more interesting if the record holders are either both still alive or contemporaries. In addition to Jack and Tiger, there is Brett and Peyton. It seems that if Peyton stays healthy (neck injury at the moment) he could replace many of Brett's records. In Jack's case, we can't forget that he came is second at majors more times that he won them. That's really amazing.
    Pray the Rosary daily