Page 466 of 520 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467468476516 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,660 of 5194
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Is today April Fool's Day?!?

If USC and UCLA to the Big Ten is real, I guess Gonzaga to the Big East starts to make more sense.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/st...l_n27rEnODFIjA
    Wow. That is wild.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Pretty soon the big 10 is going to have all the P5 schools. Maybe that’s the plan

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Pretty soon the big 10 is going to have all the P5 schools. Maybe that’s the plan
    It will be the Big10, the SEC and then the Slippery Rock’s and Lehigh’s of the world.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Moves like this are why it amazes me that anyone gives a shit that college athletes can now make money due to NIL.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Is today April Fool's Day?!?

If USC and UCLA to the Big Ten is real, I guess Gonzaga to the Big East starts to make more sense.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/st...l_n27rEnODFIjA
    Frankly, it kind of does make more sense, doesn't it. Different revenue dollars and different expenses associated with all this - between football and basketball, but it is the early 21st Century.

Perhaps a little too abstract of a thought, but think about Knute Rockne and ND travelling by train to play USC in LA and vice versa. That is now approaching 100 years ago. Think about the exposure for both schools back then. Move the "tape" forward to today and you have this announcement.

This is massive for all parties, but I have to believe that the B1G snagging Los Angeles as a viewing market, playing more games in the Rose Bowl, the new stadiums that are out there now - all of it will be accretive to that conference. It is a rather extraordinary response to the SEC's Texas and OU acquisition, especially considering when you compare Norman, OK to Los Angeles, CA. Granted, the SEC also picks up Austin, TX and the massive following of the Longhorns, while the B1G literally locks into only one market with the two schools announced, but the population of greater LA is 12.5 million versus Austin, TX at 2.3 million and Norman, OK at 1.4 million. You can argue different levels of passion, etc., but the POTENTIAL of this move is staggering.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Saw Kansas has interest in joining the Big East/ football going independent. That would be great. As things are swirling so much it’s nice to be the only basketball centric league. Bring Gonzaga while your at it.

I think egos get in the way of a lot of rational thought on some of this.
    If they had gone to 4 16 team conferences you might have prevented this rush to 2 mega conferences.
    Pac 12 will end up being the AAC of the west coast.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

With USC and UCLA in the Big10, maybe Gonzaga to the Big East isnt all that far fetched in todays landscape.

i give up.

Instead of playing the long game with some long term objective in mind, it appears that there will just continue to be a series of very short term decisions that are made that make sense in complete isolation. This wont be the last move. And the next move will probably also make no sense

We have hockey only conferences, and it makes complete sense for that sport. I think football only conferences would make sense as well. Football is it's own animal. it's not anything like any other college sport. The roster size is unique. The schedule length is unique. The physical nature of the game is unique. The necessary resources are unique. It's totally it's own thing.

Basketball is also a revenue generating sport, but that is where the similarities with football end. In terms of resources, roster size, schedule length, necessary support staff, etc, basketball has far more in common with volleyball, and softball, and soccer, and pretty much every other sport. Basketball has more in common with rifle than it does football.

UCLA and Rutgers playing in football every year isn't that ridiculous. UCLA and Rutgers playing in basketball, and baseball, and softball, and volleyball, and women's soccer is a little more ridiculous. Those sports would be better off playing a conference schedule that's more regionally based. Unlike football, every other sport plays multiple games a week and plays during the week. Not just once a week on the weekends. I'm becoming more and more of a proponent of football only conferences and/or different conference lineups for football than for all other sports.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White