Page 465 of 520 FirstFirst ... 365415455463464465466467475515 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,650 of 5194
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    football. sucks. period.

It was an added bonus that it didn't exist when I came to Xavier. Good riddance to that blood sport and I hope it meets its eventual demise in a future generation.
    Same. I would hate being a fan of a school with a football team. It sucks enough that Cincy has the Bengals.

UC now has the #3 rated recruiting class in the country for football. Three and four star recruits are liking what they saw the last couple seasons out of Clifton.

It's only one year's class, and you don't know how things will shake out, but I think that team in a year or so should be back in the top 5. As long as Fick is coaching at UC things will continue to stay competitive and in the hunt for BCS. This season is a bit unknown with so many major pieces leaving for the NFL.

After the change the Big 12 could easily be considered one of the top basketball conferences. That will mean leverage with media contracts, no doubt about it.

And with UC, BYU, Houston, and UCF now all recruiting for football as members of the Big 12, all of those programs will be gaining strength. I don't think their status as a conference will drop off at all because of one very-good Oklahoma and a not-so-great Texas leaving.

UCF has a HUGE alumni base and finally a reason to start donating to the program for recruiting. It's currently the largest campus in the nation. Houston is a desirable school and could easily start building better recruiting classes out of Texas. And UC and BYU have been doing well, just on the outside looking in.

Yes, the SEC stranglehold will continue, but there's still plenty of good players and opportunity that media outlets will want to be gunning for.

The increase in media money for UC will easily cover their conference exit fee. I hate the business college football has become, but with all the road blocks UC has suffered, they are finally starting to gain some real steam to be in a position of power.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    UC now has the #3 rated recruiting class in the country for football. Three and four star recruits are liking what they saw the last couple seasons out of Clifton.

It's only one year's class, and you don't know how things will shake out, but I think that team in a year or so should be back in the top 5. As long as Fick is coaching at UC things will continue to stay competitive and in the hunt for BCS. This season is a bit unknown with so many major pieces leaving for the NFL.

After the change the Big 12 could easily be considered one of the top basketball conferences. That will mean leverage with media contracts, no doubt about it.

And with UC, BYU, Houston, and UCF now all recruiting for football as members of the Big 12, all of those programs will be gaining strength. I don't think their status as a conference will drop off at all because of one very-good Oklahoma and a not-so-great Texas leaving.

UCF has a HUGE alumni base and finally a reason to start donating to the program for recruiting. It's currently the largest campus in the nation. Houston is a desirable school and could easily start building better recruiting classes out of Texas. And UC and BYU have been doing well, just on the outside looking in.

Yes, the SEC stranglehold will continue, but there's still plenty of good players and opportunity that media outlets will want to be gunning for.

The increase in media money for UC will easily cover their conference exit fee. I hate the business college football has become, but with all the road blocks UC has suffered, they are finally starting to gain some real steam to be in a position of power.
    UC’s recruiting in 22 has them ranked 42nd with 3 4 stars and 16 3 stars. They are currently ranked 3rd with that exact same breakdown. My guess is that this this time next year they are closer to the 42 than the 3.

UC's 2023 class is a nice one, but it will end up nowhere close to #3. They simply have their whole class basically done, while most of the others only have about half their spots filled. If you look at the average ranking of their commits, it's clear when the dust settles that class will be closer to #30 than #3.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    uc now has the #3 rated recruiting class in the country for football. Three and four star recruits are liking what they saw the last couple seasons out of clifton.

It's only one year's class, and you don't know how things will shake out, but i think that team in a year or so should be back in the top 5. As long as fick is coaching at uc things will continue to stay competitive and in the hunt for bcs. This season is a bit unknown with so many major pieces leaving for the nfl.

After the change the big 12 could easily be considered one of the top basketball conferences. That will mean leverage with media contracts, no doubt about it.

And with uc, byu, houston, and ucf now all recruiting for football as members of the big 12, all of those programs will be gaining strength. I don't think their status as a conference will drop off at all because of one very-good oklahoma and a not-so-great texas leaving.

Ucf has a huge alumni base and finally a reason to start donating to the program for recruiting. It's currently the largest campus in the nation. Houston is a desirable school and could easily start building better recruiting classes out of texas. And uc and byu have been doing well, just on the outside looking in.

Yes, the sec stranglehold will continue, but there's still plenty of good players and opportunity that media outlets will want to be gunning for.

The increase in media money for uc will easily cover their conference exit fee. I hate the business college football has become, but with all the road blocks uc has suffered, they are finally starting to gain some real steam to be in a position of power.
    bcs?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

The list of schools that have raised the level of their brand as much as UC has in recent years is very small. In fact they are probably unequaled. Perhaps Baylor is also on that list. The investments they've put into athletics have paid off big time. Any and all past predictions of how they were going to collapse or fall short have been proven to be spectacularly wrong.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quoting myself from my earlier post:

I made it very clear that, IMO, UC will improve its position. The issue is by how much as developments proceed during this decade, and will it be enough to compete at the highest level, or will it be enough to continue to be able to field a competitive product, or will it wither and die at some point. I see the second scenario happening for UC.

Go back and take a look at the WCPO report. Looking at it from the overall institutional level, the following must be taken into account:

UC’s $27.1 million contribution to athletics in the 2021 fiscal year was a 10.8 reduction from the prior year, in which UC set a record by contributing $30.4 million to athletics.

“What we don’t talk about is where money is not being spent,” McNay said. “Money is not being spent on the students. It’s not being spent on the faculty. It’s not being spent on the academic mission of the university.”

If you wash out the effects of the COVID timeframe (i.e. no butts in the seats, etc.), if you consider that UC is more successful with attendance figures at Nippert Stadium now, and with a positive bump in media payouts coming down the road, you have to believe that the university subsidy has a chance to go down. The problem is that it is a small chance, because expenditures will increase as UC continues to try to keep up at the highest level. I am not even addressing the NIL issue here. At least UC has the advantage of spreading that subsidy over a large student population. The issue with that is what Professor McNay brings up – the money is going into athletics, not into academics. As long as the student population tolerates/accepts/puts up with all that, then UC can at least grind forward, doing what they’re doing.

One last thing, regarding my opinion on UC’s ability to compete at the highest level: UC’s playoff game against Alabama was never in doubt. It will always be that way for UC IF they make it back to that level. Why? Because while UC can field some damn fine players on both sides of the ball in key positions, they will never have the ability to platoon waves of highly talented players into a game like Alabama or Ohio State, etc. can – they’ll be able to fight for a while during a game, but will tend to be beaten down by sometime in the third quarter, as a general rule.

That is why, IMO, UC will be able to move forward for a while with fielding a competitive product. You can't become a juggernaut with a 40k capacity stadium.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Quoting myself from my earlier post:

I made it very clear that, IMO, UC will improve its position. The issue is by how much as developments proceed during this decade, and will it be enough to compete at the highest level, or will it be enough to continue to be able to field a competitive product, or will it wither and die at some point. I see the second scenario happening for UC.

Go back and take a look at the WCPO report. Looking at it from the overall institutional level, the following must be taken into account:

UC’s $27.1 million contribution to athletics in the 2021 fiscal year was a 10.8 reduction from the prior year, in which UC set a record by contributing $30.4 million to athletics.

“What we don’t talk about is where money is not being spent,” McNay said. “Money is not being spent on the students. It’s not being spent on the faculty. It’s not being spent on the academic mission of the university.”

If you wash out the effects of the COVID timeframe (i.e. no butts in the seats, etc.), if you consider that UC is more successful with attendance figures at Nippert Stadium now, and with a positive bump in media payouts coming down the road, you have to believe that the university subsidy has a chance to go down. The problem is that it is a small chance, because expenditures will increase as UC continues to try to keep up at the highest level. I am not even addressing the NIL issue here. At least UC has the advantage of spreading that subsidy over a large student population. The issue with that is what Professor McNay brings up – the money is going into athletics, not into academics. As long as the student population tolerates/accepts/puts up with all that, then UC can at least grind forward, doing what they’re doing.

One last thing, regarding my opinion on UC’s ability to compete at the highest level: UC’s playoff game against Alabama was never in doubt. It will always be that way for UC IF they make it back to that level. Why? Because while UC can field some damn fine players on both sides of the ball in key positions, they will never have the ability to platoon waves of highly talented players into a game like Alabama or Ohio State, etc. can – they’ll be able to fight for a while during a game, but will tend to be beaten down by sometime in the third quarter, as a general rule.

That is why, IMO, UC will be able to move forward for a while with fielding a competitive product. You can't become a juggernaut with a 40k capacity stadium.

So, UC's athletic spending has gone up, their enrollment has gone up, and their tuition continues to remain pretty much the same. It did go up a little this past year, but over time it's been kept pretty consistent. At the end of the day, students basically care about the overall price tag that they're having to pay and that's it. So if they're not having to pay more in tuition, most aren't going to feel all that strongly about how much or how little the university is subsidizing athletics.

There is a piece that I'm missing here. Tuition is the same and athletic spending is up. So, one could only logically conclude that spending in other areas has been cut or eliminated entirely. The question is, to the quote in bold, what specifically aren't they spending money on?? People within the UC have said this, but when asked specifically where spending in other areas has been cut and what specific impacts it has had, no one seems to know. They HAVE to have cut something, but there's been no salary cuts, no noticeable reduction in faculty (at least I don't think), no fewer courses or degrees being offered. So...while this statement would make sense, where exactly is UC "not spending money" where they previously had been?? I'm genuinely curious. Enrollment continues to go up, but not by THAT much. It's not like it has doubled or anything like that.

And...I don't know how long this ride will continue, but holy shit they've elevated themselves.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-17-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Has the Big 12 ever made overtures for launching a network yet? They're going to be at a disadvantage when they're fighting the likes of the B1G, ACC, SEC and Pac-12. Then again, the Pac-12 should be a lesson on how to not run a network. The best thing to happen to that conference was Larry Scott getting fired last year.

Is today April Fool's Day?!?

If USC and UCLA to the Big Ten is real, I guess Gonzaga to the Big East starts to make more sense.

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/st...l_n27rEnODFIjA