Page 461 of 520 FirstFirst ... 361411451459460461462463471511 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 5194
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    So, do the new schools get to share in the TV contract and any NCAA Tournament share money right away or do they have a “probationary” period like what happened with the Big East?
    Great question.

I would think that isn’t possible, certainly as long as the 800 lb. gorilla (Texas) is still attached.

Cannot wait to see how this reconfigured conference holds up in terms of content value.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    So, do the new schools get to share in the TV contract and any NCAA Tournament share money right away or do they have a “probationary” period like what happened with the Big East?
    It will be prorated the first two seasons and they will become a full financial member in 2025 when the Big 12 signs a new TV deal.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It will be prorated the first two seasons and they will become a full financial member in 2025 when the Big 12 signs a new TV deal.

Have you heard anything about an interim adjustment to the existing media agreement for their inclusion? Oklahoma and Texas said then they intend to stay in the Big 12 through June 30, 2025. Texas and Oklahoma do not care about the financial well being of the new schools. I'm asking; I'm not trying to be snide about this.

I'll note it again, once UT and OU step out of that conference, you're looking at television markets and brands involving KSU, KU Baylor, TCU, TTU and Iowa State. Seriously, it's as though Cincinnati, Houston and Orlando might be propping them up on a relative basis, but it still isn't going to be close to the current payout per school.
    X A V I E R

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Don't forget BYU.

Their media markets would then include Salt Lake City, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Cincinnati, Orlando, Kansas City, Oklahoma City and Pittsburgh. Basketball will still be good but foosball...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Don't forget BYU.

Their media markets would then include Salt Lake City, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Cincinnati, Orlando, Kansas City, Oklahoma City and Pittsburgh. Basketball will still be good but foosball...not so much.
    I apologize in advance, and it’s not my intent to derail the thread but; have you ever been to Salt Lake City? We flew in and hoped to get something to eat before heading to Park City. We drove all over town and and saw nothing but closed shops and boarded up stores. We saw a sign for a Marriott or something and figured they had to have a restaurant so we didn’t starve to death.

I realize that’s a curious little rant. It’s obviously a major city and serious market if they can support an NBA team. I guess every place is different so we can all find an option that works for us. Salt Lake City felt like a dream location for people who want to avoid enjoying life.

Perhaps their restaurants are not open at 3:30 AM?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

You’d think they’d want to be open after the strip clubs close!

This was a Saturday afternoon. Go figure?

BYU's TV market is the entire country, honestly.

I've not been to SLC, but Utah may be my favorite state. At least southern Utah. Zion, Bryce, Escalante. Place is absurd.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I apologize in advance, and it’s not my intent to derail the thread but; have you ever been to Salt Lake City? We flew in and hoped to get something to eat before heading to Park City. We drove all over town and and saw nothing but closed shops and boarded up stores. We saw a sign for a Marriott or something and figured they had to have a restaurant so we didn’t starve to death.

I realize that’s a curious little rant. It’s obviously a major city and serious market if they can support an NBA team. I guess every place is different so we can all find an option that works for us. Salt Lake City felt like a dream location for people who want to avoid enjoying life.
    Interesting.

One of my best friends from college lives in Salt Lake. I have been there a few times to visit him and he took me a lot of places. Although their drinking and bar laws were weird. I think it has changed but you had to be a member or guest of a member to go to the bars. Also couldn't have more than one pitcher of beer for every 2 people. So 3 people could only order one pitcher not 2.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

The question in regards to TV contracts with the BIG 12 seems to be…..can the inclusion of the TV markets of Houston, Orlando, Cincinnati, and what BYU with its national audience can bring to the table, make up for the loss of Texas and Oklahoma? And if not, how much of a drop off will it be?

I really don’t know the answer to that question, but I think that some of it will depend on just how well the teams in the Big 12 do in regards to contending for national championships. That may well depend on what happens with the football playoff in the future, along with how scheduling changes, and don’t discount the desire by certain broadcast networks to compete with others. As they say at auctions, it only takes two people in the room with the same desire to own an object, to run the price up. If enough of the Big12 teams are regular contenders for football and basketball championships, it will remain a hot commodity and it should have no trouble getting paid big bucks.

As I said before, I don’t know what it’s going g to happen 3-4 years down the road, but it’s going to be interesting (and possibly entertaining!).