Page 3 of 520 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
    Big 12 Schools Jockeying For Position

According to inside sources, Texas A&M administrators believe at this time that ESPN is unlikely to compromise on the high school games and they are moving forward with an aggressive approach to programming meaning they are in no mood to compromise.

If ESPN/Texas does not back down at the upcoming athletic directors meeting, this could be the tipping point. From a Texas A&M standpoint, that would likely be a move to the SEC – something that has been rumored since last year and is supported by recent actions of due diligence by the university. It sounds like the rest of the Big 12 is getting nervous as well and starting to check out conference options.

Several sources inside Texas A&M suggest a move could happen sooner rather than later if current conference conditions remain the same, which frankly surprises me if true. I was told it could be "weeks" versus "next year" in terms of a final decision to accept a standing offer to join the SEC. That would likely mean a move to the SEC for the 2013 athletic season.

The smoke with Missouri is building according to SEC sources. After getting snubbed by the Big 10 last year, Missouri is posturing for an offer to the SEC and working the phones hard. It might just pay off for Missouri. Apparently, Oklahoma was told by several SEC sources that a future deal including Oklahoma State was highly unlikely...that they would need to split if they wanted to be seriously considered for inclusion. That explains recent rumors that OU has been inquiring about the PAC-12’s interest level in expanding the conference with both Oklahoma schools. If that doesn’t pan out, then the Sooners may come back to the SEC and consider working the politics of splitting with OSU. But, Missouri is ready to go now and if the chips start falling pretty soon, it looks like Missouri could be in line to get that western division SEC spot along with the Aggies.

What is also helping out Missouri's cause right now is that Arkansas is pushing the SEC to take both Missouri and A&M as a package. For the Razorbacks, that would be a great addition with the proximity of both schools and the built-in rivalries along with the enhanced recruiting possibilities in Texas and Missouri.

Texas Tech is also putting out feelers with the PAC-12 and Kansas has been in contact with the Big East for quite some time and there’s talk that Kansas State could also be in the discussions. And of course, that would leave Texas free to pursue independence and cement its partnership with ESPN with a more comprehensive TV contract. Unless the PAC-12, Big 10, or SEC reverses its stance on not wanting a new partner with an exclusive network, the Longhorns must go independent. That appears to be the end game for Texas anyway.

This is an extremely fluid situation and nothing will surprise me in the short term. But if Byrne and Texas A&M walk away from the conference AD's meeting unsatisfied and it appears that ESPN and Texas are going to move forward with disputed programming regardless of the Big 12's concern, then this could go down quickly...and if so, it appears that Missouri could be the big winner in all of this chess play.

If the meetings go well and Texas A&M gets assurances of significant changes to the issues surrounding the LHN, then this situation will play out much longer as we originally anticipated. However, this won’t be the end of the saber rattling because the Big 12 is an imperfect and inequitable union. Another problem associated with inequity will pop-up and at some point this hastily-crafted conference will finally collapse. It’s inevitable. The question is whether that collapse will occur in weeks, months, or a year. ESPN’s profit motive will see to that. Big 12 schools are preparing for that

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1090643.html
    Live Action

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It's interesting that Kansas/KSU would consider the Big East but they're not mentioned in SEC talks.

At least they're both viable expansion candidates in this round of negotiations; we saw how little pull college BB had in these discussions last year when both Kansas/KSU were an afterthought when the Big 10 was mulling their expansion options.

I'll ask SEC fans (cough)xu95 and Glow(cough) who their favorite candidates would be. Besides possibly A&M and Missouri, do you also consider a couple of ACC teams as well?

I heard that there are double secret conversations going on between the SEC, PAC-Whatever and the dying Big XII, concerning holding off from any moves until they figure how LaSalle and Fordham will play into all this.

I heard that during a comical delusional dream last night.

Seriously, I wonder what Texas was thinking. All indications are that they could care less. Texas is essentially a nation in size and Gross State Product. They were going to push for whatever they wanted, without giving one damn about a conference affiliation.

Roll the dice, already knowing that you've won what you wanted - $300 million for 20 years from ESPN - and see how far and for how long everyone else will bend over. It's look like they bent over too far such that it will not be for too long.
    X A V I E R

I am fine with A&M and Missou. I think the SEC will also look east at Clemson. If they take one they are taking four. Anything less than 16 teams won't make sense.

Neither Kansas or Kansas St make sense and won't happen. The 16th team would probably be Oklahoma or someone else from the ACC.

You will then see the Big 10 and the ACC pillage the BE for the rest of their teams. Welcome back to CUSA UC.

xu95

Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    I think the SEC will also look east at Clemson.
    Bring it on!

I don't understand the Texas stuff. But then, I never understood why ND didn't go to the Big 10. Guess I like some sort of geographical sense to a league, but that seems to have gone by the wayside; and maybe it should with jet travel. But how Miami and BC can be interested in the each other escapes me.

For the SEC, in the dream world it would have all the big schools in its states. It does for some now, and some states only have one big school.

Mississippi 2
    Alabama 2
    Tennessee 2
    LSU, Arkansas,
    South Carolina...add Clemson
    Kentucky...add Louisville
    Georgia...add Tech
    Florida...add Florida State

That would be a fun 16 team SEC!
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

X A V I E R

please not ESPN again! I couldn't stand another however many years listening to ESPN drool over the Big Least everday. I'm kind of hoping it ends up being NBC/Comcast, but I don't see it happening. It would be good to add another network into the competition
    "And I’m going to get Xavier to the Final Four. Make sure you write that down.”
    Jalen Reynolds

So the chain of events would be something like this:

Texas AM and Missouri to SEC

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and probably 1 other team to Pac 12

Kansas and Kansas State to Big East

Hopefully causing the Big East to split between bball and football school teams OR just have them kick out all the non football teams.

Then Here's my hope(although its probably a long shot)

X jumps in with UD, Butler, GTown, Nova, Depaul, St Johns, Seton Hall, Marquette, ND
    Live Action

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes37 View Post

Hopefully causing the Big East to split between bball and football school teams OR just have them kick out all the non football teams.

Then Here's my hope(although its probably a long shot)

X jumps in with UD, Butler, GTown, Nova, Depaul, St Johns, Seton Hall, Marquette, ND
    Georgetown and Nova people are hoping that the BE will still keep 4 hoops schools - them and say St. Johns say ND. I don't see that happening, especially if Kansas brings its hoops program to the league.

This is going to get very interesting again.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes37 View Post

If that happens look for the big football schools to form their own version of the NCAA and leave the rest behind.

It's gonna happen sooner or later.