Page 103 of 520 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 5194
    The following is from a one year old post by blogger Frank the Tank (wtf).

A source with knowledge of the agreement that was entered into by the Big East schools following the ACC raid of 2003 states that in the event that 2 football members leave the conference, the football and non-football members can split the league without any penalty and retain their respective revenues, such as NCAA Tournament distributions. What is surprising is that the Catholic non-football members comprise the faction that is pushing the issue. If you recall, those schools met back in March to discuss “contingency plans”. Apparently, the Catholic schools have decided that they will exercise the split option if 2 Big East schools leave the conference (no matter who they might be) and have informed Big East commissioner John Marinatto as such. Financially, the Catholic schools would actually be in a fine position because they would have a large reserve of NCAA Tournament credits with Georgetown and Villanova having both made it to the Final Four in the last 4 years. There is also the stability and cultural fit standpoint, where the Catholic schools are not enthralled with the “usual suspects” of Big East expansion candidates from Conference USA.
    And as far as Texas goes, they're worse than ND. At least with ND you know where you stand. I'll be very impressed if any conference they don't control is able to get them (TX) to sign.
    Last edited by waggy; 09-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes37 View Post
    So Missouri is joining the SEC now?
    Sue 'em Kenny boy!
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Another tid-bit from Frank, the Big East is guaranteed a BCS slot thru 2013. Don't know if this would include a bowl actually played in 2014, but nevertheless this has got to be a consideration. Don't know if the bball schools get any piece of that or not though.

PeteThamelNYT: The Pac-12 will not expand. On a conference call tonight presidents affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference."
    Well, see y'all next year.

(Or does this mean Big XII goes after the Big East?)
    Last edited by BMoreX; 09-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Pac 12 NOT to expand?

PeteThamel NYTPete Thamel

"The Pac-12 will not expand. On a conference call tonight presidents affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference."
    Long Live the X.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMuskie View Post
    Pac 12 NOT to expand?

PeteThamel NYTPete Thamel

"The Pac-12 will not expand. On a conference call tonight presidents affirmed their decision to remain a 12-team conference."
    AKA, to avoid any law suit filed by the remaining big Xii schools we have decided not to expand....oh what, Oklahoma has asked to join out of the blue with out us asking them, sure you can come along....oh you brought your friend OSU, Texas and Texas Tech, I guess they can join the party too.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    AKA, to avoid any law suit filed by the remaining big Xii schools we have decided not to expand....oh what, Oklahoma has asked to join out of the blue with out us asking them, sure you can come along....oh you brought your friend OSU, Texas and Texas Tech, I guess they can join the party too.
    Actually, I read this to mean that they didn't want to be a ploy to force the resurrection of the Big XII, weren't thrilled about OK St and TX Tech, and TX wasn't willing to play ball on the LHN deal.

For whatever reason, I don't think they're bluffing. I think Pac-12 is going to stay pat.

What happens next is anyone's guess. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibilities for the SEC to take OK, OK St. and Missouri -- leaving Texas to pick up the pieces of the conference it destroyed. Not sure what that would do to the Big East, but gawd would I like to see Texas in that predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Actually, I read this to mean that they didn't want to be a ploy to force the resurrection of the Big XII, weren't thrilled about OK St and TX Tech, and TX wasn't willing to play ball on the LHN deal.

For whatever reason, I don't think they're bluffing. I think Pac-12 is going to stay pat.

What happens next is anyone's guess. I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibilities for the SEC to take OK, OK St. and Missouri -- leaving Texas to pick up the pieces of the conference it destroyed. Not sure what that would do to the Big East, but gawd would I like to see Texas in that predicament.
    It's interesting that they are content with staying pat when they literally could have gotten 2 of the biggest football programs to join. I do wonder if its a bluff like the SEC said about A&M a week before they accepted them

So what will the Pac 12 do when the ACC and SEC go to 16?

Also, everyone in the Big 12 has to hate each other at this point. Oklahoma wanted Beebe gone. Texas and ESPN lied to everyone about not airing HS games. There's still horribly unequal revenue sharing. A&M and probably Missouri are gone.
    Live Action

Here's to hoping that the ACC takes UConn and Rutgers. That move would leave the Big East in dire straits. Four schools, five including a TCU program that you would think would jump on a Big 12 invite in a heartbeat, or at least return to the Mountain West instead of joining a damaged BE conference.

So at the current time Kansas' choices are:

1. Stay in disfunctional, unequal share, unstable B12.

2. Or move to far flung maybe even more unstable east coast based league for probably even less money.