Page 475 of 520 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 5194

Conference carousel to start spinning again?

This would never happen, but its an interesting idea.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college...=hp_listb_pos1

In case that link doesn’t work.

https://flip.it/_9_SCL Happy Birthday, America. The British Have a Way to Save College Football

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Eighths View Post
    While many/most might agree that the Big 2 is inevitable, I don’t see the ACC just sitting back and letting it happen. They will look to add in order to stay as relevant as possible. It might be a fool’s errand in the end but I don’t think the ACC will just sit tight.

So, I see them looking to add WVU and Houston. Not great additions but solid enough to (in their minds) stave off the inevitable.
    I don't disagree with you at all. I agree the ACC, Big 12 and Pac (n) will do whatever they can to survive. But whatever they do will not matter in the near to long run. They have no answer for approx. $100 million per school, which is what the two goliaths are looking at when the dust settles.

JTG, even if the ACC offers Notre Dame the moon, they have the B1G next door offering them Saturn.

Again, these other conferences are in trouble. Can at least two of them survive in some form? Sure. And it remains to be seen if the playoff for a "national" championship will ultimately involve the "new 40" or the 125 that technically have access to it now. If the playoff system is still "inclusive" such that the current roster of FBS schools still have a crack at it, and if it expands to 8 teams from 4, then some of these schools can continue to pretend or do a little more than just pretend to play football at this level.

How is this for irony: Clifton Community College has always had to scratch and claw, working its way up to where it is now. Its athletic department is stressed - that department will continue to rely on upwards of possibly $20 million per year in student fees support, even after its media agreement is improved from its flaky $7 million to what was expected to be $20 million prior to the USC/UCLA to B1G bombshell announcement. But at least it has a base of 40,000+ students to draw fees from.

Compare that to TCU, which has less than 12,000 students (I believe). And TCU has had the luxury of enjoying a much better media agreement for the last number of years. As we know, the Horned Frogs - what a remarkably stupid nickname - aren't alone; BC, Wake and Baylor, and Syracuse are right there with them, sweating bullets.

UC's fans are probably mostly still looking up in all this, though I continue to believe they don't have a prayer in hell of making it into the SEC or B1G. Ohio State will not allow them into the B1G, just as we won't allow Dayton in the Big East. UC's only hope is that the SEC sees some strategic value in planting its flag in Ohio under Ohio State's nose, but I wouldn't stay up too late waiting for that to happen.
    Last edited by xudash; 07-04-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    X A V I E R

Dash...wait! I sort of like the Horned Frogs moniker.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Dash...wait! I sort of like the Horned Frogs moniker.
    I'll take it back for you, Paul. So long as the next first round at Dana's is on .... me!
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I'll take it back for you, Paul. So long as the next first round at Dana's is on .... me!
    I want an invite! Do I need a reservation?

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I want an invite! Do I need a reservation?
    Hell, no!

You only need to remember the secret password phrase: I want to get Moody with a Hudy. Belt that out at the entrance to Dana‘s and you will be in like Flynn.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    No worries. I've got the next one.

X A V I E R

More reasons to have gone to 4 16 team conferences if you wanted to be like the NFL.

This would take them to 20, although NC State instead of Virginia makes more sense.

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/07/...-join-the-sec/