Page 474 of 483 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 4830
  1. #4731
    All-Conference xudash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    If this is indeed, all about football and 2 20 team mega conferences, which most agree it is, how does the BIG reconcile IU, Rutgers, Maryland, and Northwestern as one of the 40 best ? Indiana especially, loss wise, the worst school in major college football history. Rutgers, Maryland, 2 worthless throw ins, and lowly Northwestern. Those schools do not deserve a $100 million a year windfall. What about the SEC with Vandy and UK Ms St ? These folks should be positioned ahead of the Clemsons, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Baylor, Washingtons ? There is already talk in some circles of teams being booted from the BIG.Namely Minn and Purdue, but both have more illustrious football heritage than the bottom feeders mentioned above. The stated logic is that would be done to make room for more worth football institutions. I sure no one would miss IU, UK, Rutgers, Md or Vandy on Sat afternoons in the fall. I
    Great point. The reality is that they do not have to reconcile anything. That is the one, crazy thing about this entire process in terms of it not being 100% market driven: if you are already in, you will not be kicked out. That is regardless of your value. Collegiality and all that!

    EDIT: You could argue, as one abstract example, that a home game involving UC and a P5 school would probably do no better than Northwestern playing another major program in Chicago at home. The point is, at the margin, what is the difference in media value of the lower schools once you dip below the top, say, 20 programs.
    Last edited by xudash; 07-03-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    X A V I E R

  2. #4732
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    18,094
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    It is all about the money, but be careful what you wish for. I saw a story online yesterday about Apple contacting the BIG about media rights right after USC and UCLA joining was announced. Apple can certainly outbid any network if they really want to. Imagine the outcry if you’ll need an Apple TV or Apple TV+ subscription to watch any BIG or SEC games. Apple did just that with MLS starting next season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm OK unless they start screwing with NCAAM basketball.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  3. #4733
    Supporting Member bjf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm OK unless they start screwing with NCAAM basketball.
    Never say never!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

  4. #4734
    Supporting Member waggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gold Country
    Posts
    11,152
    Read on a Michigan board that’s it’s going to be ND and Stanford to the B1G. Poster doesn’t seem super connected though. Makes the most sense though, once those are in the barn they can get anyone else at half price for an introductory period.

  5. #4735
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Read on a Michigan board that’s it’s going to be ND and Stanford to the B1G. Poster doesn’t seem super connected though. Makes the most sense though, once those are in the barn they can get anyone else at half price for an introductory period.
    If ND joins the Big 10, the ACC should add WVU and Houston. The ACC has to be proactive in hopes of keeping a Big 4 instead of a Big 2.

  6. #4736
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Rumor is they’ll get NFL Sunday Ticket when DirecTV’s contract ends. Maybe 2024? They have enough cash on hand to pretty much do whatever they want.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They just bought up the MLS rights too.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

  7. #4737
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,532
    Not that it would ever happen, but I think promotion and relegation would be interesting in College football. Create ten 13 team divisions with each team playing all of the members of their division once. At the end of the year the Bottom 3 of each division move down and the top 3 of the division below will move up. Sure the usual suspects will continue to dominate, but it would add a lot more intrigue to late season games of team out of the national title running.

    Now it will never happen, cause there is no way that the schools would agree on how to rank everyone in year one.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

  8. #4738
    All-Conference xudash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Eighths View Post
    If ND joins the Big 10, the ACC should add WVU and Houston. The ACC has to be proactive in hopes of keeping a Big 4 instead of a Big 2.
    I think the idea is that there will be no Big 4; there will only be a Big 2. More to the point, there will only be a Big 2 with respect to massive media payouts for the schools in those two conferences. Schools outside of those conferences can and will still play football. They'll just be doing that with whatever lessor media agreements they can stitch together, and they'll most likely all be looking at student fees support for their athletic departments.

    Think about that last statement for a moment. Now think about it as you consider the likes of Wake Forest, Boston College, Baylor, TCU and even Syracuse - all private and all with relatively small student bodies (i.e. around < 20k). It will be hard for those schools to generate the kind of student fees needed.
    X A V I E R

  9. #4739
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I think the idea is that there will be no Big 4; there will only be a Big 2. More to the point, there will only be a Big 2 with respect to massive media payouts for the schools in those two conferences. Schools outside of those conferences can and will still play football. They'll just be doing that with whatever lessor media agreements they can stitch together, and they'll most likely all be looking at student fees support for their athletic departments.

    Think about that last statement for a moment. Now think about it as you consider the likes of Wake Forest, Boston College, Baylor, TCU and even Syracuse - all private and all with relatively small student bodies (i.e. around < 20k). It will be hard for those schools to generate the kind of student fees needed.
    While many/most might agree that the Big 2 is inevitable, I don’t see the ACC just sitting back and letting it happen. They will look to add in order to stay as relevant as possible. It might be a fool’s errand in the end but I don’t think the ACC will just sit tight.

    So, I see them looking to add WVU and Houston. Not great additions but solid enough to (in their minds) stave off the inevitable.

  10. #4740
    Junior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    2,663
    If it is indeed a Mega 2, then the SEC will grab FSU, Clemson and Miami. The BIG will get ND and Stanford and look for #s 19 & 20. I've heard it speculated ND expressed interest in Standford as a like minded school and frequent opponent. But who knows. If I were the ACC I'd offer ND the moon just to save the conference, because I think schools will find a way out of their long term 2036 agreement. I still think some of the crappy football schools need to be shipped off. Let the ACC have IU, MD, Rutgers and Northwestern, then the BIG takes Pitt Clemson and BC. The SEC gets FSU and Miami. Also the ACC gets Army & Navy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •