Page 473 of 483 FirstFirst ... 373423463471472473474475 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 4830
    You make a great point dash. If a school can’t be relevant in football, it needs to at least be relevant in basketball. And the BE is going to be the conference that offers that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Paul, personally, I have seen it in a number of different places. Obviously, at this point, it probably is more speculation than anything. Nonetheless, getting to 20 teams per super conference or 24 teams per super conference seems to be the direction.
    Dash, I agree. I see it in places..."20 team super conference" but so far, no rational for 20. Why not 24? Or 30?
    Is it a schedule situation? The ACC is talking 3-5-5, playing 3 teams every year, and the other 10 on a rotating 5 one year, 5 the next.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Dash, I agree. I see it in places..."20 team super conference" but so far, no rational for 20. Why not 24? Or 30?
    Is it a schedule situation? The ACC is talking 3-5-5, playing 3 teams every year, and the other 10 on a rotating 5 one year, 5 the next.
    Paul, it is a MONEY situation, pure and simple. More to the point, it is about what optimizes a per school payout via a media agreement by virtue of the number and mix of schools comprising the new super conferences. The B1G adds USC and UCLA? Fine. The television executives are salivating over that one, as are the presidents and AD's of the schools involved. They did the same when the SEC picked off Texas and the Sooners. So now it is about the next "layer." We're back to that very popular and probably worn out phrase: WHO MOVES THE NEEDLE?

Which programs may do that for the B1G? Maybe Washington and Oregon. Then perhaps they start looking towards the Atlantic and south: UNC and ? Look where I am with this paragraph - I'm already running out of obvious candidates - beyond Notre Dame, and who knows what they're thinking right now - that would be accretive to any new monster mash media agreement. I'm running out of candidates because of the AAU thingy, and because I don't think they would want a Clemson or Florida State anyway. Remember the research dollars that come with the B1G's AAU status. It's about football, but it's not only about football in their case.

How about this: are the SEC and B1G powers even talking very quietly with one another at this point (i.e. let's cooperate while we divy up the world) or are they still attempting to grind through their territorial acquisitions on their own? The answer to that would be revealing. What if they've already locked into defining what the extent of the club will be - what if they've both agreed that there are only 40 programs in the country that make sense for optimizing media agreements and so they quietly agree to stop there. BTW, they wouldn't be deciding on the "40" - the television executives would be very much involved in letting them know what is truly marketable and what begins to look like a dead cat bounce when it comes to considering expansion candidates.

Beyond all that is the "political" climate that comes with shutting out a layer of schools that presently pretend like they have a shot at the playoff because they play in a P5 conference. There are 125 Division 1 FCS football teams. Are these two battleship conferences going to take the club down to a total of 40 relevant programs that are allowed to compete for that? They won't need to since their competitive advantage will be so substantial.

This is exactly why programs like BC, Syracuse, Iowa State, Washington State, Wake Forest, etc. are soiling themselves right now. They KNOW they're poorly positioned. We're talking about a current power structure that includes 64 teams plus ND in the P5 (give or take one; I've lost count and I don't want to research it). The simple point is that the two power conferences are finally saying enough is enough. They want to boil it down to 40'ish when it comes to a conference media agreement.

So, the playoff setup might stay the same or even expand. But imagine being a D1A program that operates outside of this payday arrangement competing against members of the club. Look at UC. If it doesn't make the cut - and I expect it to not make the cut - it can still play football with a juicy student fee allocation to athletics, make some media money, hold onto Luke Fickell or someone like him as long as it can, and kind of look the part. That is until it ends up playing a new era Ohio State or Alabama and finds itself on the gallant end of 30+ point loss.

The USC / UCLA news has opened the proverbial floodgates.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by XUBison View Post
    Oh, those UD losers on HLOH will not like this (spot on) assessment.
    Bison, thankfully for VD, they have their well honed delusion to fall back on.

I took a look at the tweet that had the best college teams by state mapped out in a map if the U.S. Obviously, Xavier was in the Ohio slot. Then I looked at some of the comments. There were a few VD fans that took exception to X being the top team in Ohio. They can be good for a laugh.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Paul, it is a MONEY situation, pure and simple. More to the point, it is about what optimizes a per school payout via a media agreement by virtue of the number and mix of schools comprising the new super conferences. The B1G adds USC and UCLA? Fine. The television executives are salivating over that one, as are the presidents and AD's of the schools involved. They did the same when the SEC picked off Texas and the Sooners. So now it is about the next "layer." We're back to that very popular and probably worn out phrase: WHO MOVES THE NEEDLE?

Which programs may do that for the B1G? Maybe Washington and Oregon. Then perhaps they start looking towards the Atlantic and south: UNC and ? Look where I am with this paragraph - I'm already running out of obvious candidates - beyond Notre Dame, and who knows what they're thinking right now - that would be accretive to any new monster mash media agreement. I'm running out of candidates because of the AAU thingy, and because I don't think they would want a Clemson or Florida State anyway. Remember the research dollars that come with the B1G's AAU status. It's about football, but it's not only about football in their case.

How about this: are the SEC and B1G powers even talking very quietly with one another at this point (i.e. let's cooperate while we divy up the world) or are they still attempting to grind through their territorial acquisitions on their own? The answer to that would be revealing. What if they've already locked into defining what the extent of the club will be - what if they've both agreed that there are only 40 programs in the country that make sense for optimizing media agreements and so they quietly agree to stop there. BTW, they wouldn't be deciding on the "40" - the television executives would be very much involved in letting them know what is truly marketable and what begins to look like a dead cat bounce when it comes to considering expansion candidates.

Beyond all that is the "political" climate that comes with shutting out a layer of schools that presently pretend like they have a shot at the playoff because they play in a P5 conference. There are 125 Division 1 FCS football teams. Are these two battleship conferences going to take the club down to a total of 40 relevant programs that are allowed to compete for that? They won't need to since their competitive advantage will be so substantial.

This is exactly why programs like BC, Syracuse, Iowa State, Washington State, Wake Forest, etc. are soiling themselves right now. They KNOW they're poorly positioned. We're talking about a current power structure that includes 64 teams plus ND in the P5 (give or take one; I've lost count and I don't want to research it). The simple point is that the two power conferences are finally saying enough is enough. They want to boil it down to 40'ish when it comes to a conference media agreement.

So, the playoff setup might stay the same or even expand. But imagine being a D1A program that operates outside of this payday arrangement competing against members of the club. Look at UC. If it doesn't make the cut - and I expect it to not make the cut - it can still play football with a juicy student fee allocation to athletics, make some media money, hold onto Luke Fickell or someone like him as long as it can, and kind of look the part. That is until it ends up playing a new era Ohio State or Alabama and finds itself on the gallant end of 30+ point loss.

The USC / UCLA news has opened the proverbial floodgates.
    It is the fact the end game remains so close to the chest that is concerning. The only need for the continued secrecy is because they know they’re taking it to a place many people will not like.

Or, the worse, and probably more likely scenario, is there is no end game. There may simply be a feedback loop in which every school is uncertain of what’s going to happen, and so they are all acting out of a paranoid need to protect their respective interests, believing they will otherwise be left out of the (non-existent) master plan.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Strangely, all this talk reminds me of why I liked 4 conferences of 16 teams, a long time ago.
    It seem that it offered the best of all possibilities.
    1 - it got rid of some of the weaker schools like Wake and Vandy
    2 - it preserved some semblance of geography and natural/historic rivalries
    3 - it addressed time zones to some extent
    4 - it seemed to be a natural in creating a postseason playoff/championship route (like the 32 team NFL does)
    5 - it seemed built for the networks to be happy

I'm sure the powers to be know what they are doing with 20. Wonder how long before the dust settles.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Junior
    If this is indeed, all about football and 2 20 team mega conferences, which most agree it is, how does the BIG reconcile IU, Rutgers, Maryland, and Northwestern as one of the 40 best ? Indiana especially, loss wise, the worst school in major college football history. Rutgers, Maryland, 2 worthless throw ins, and lowly Northwestern. Those schools do not deserve a $100 million a year windfall. What about the SEC with Vandy and UK Ms St ? These folks should be positioned ahead of the Clemsons, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Baylor, Washingtons ? There is already talk in some circles of teams being booted from the BIG.Namely Minn and Purdue, but both have more illustrious football heritage than the bottom feeders mentioned above. The stated logic is that would be done to make room for more worth football institutions. I sure no one would miss IU, UK, Rutgers, Md or Vandy on Sat afternoons in the fall. I
    Last edited by JTG; 07-03-2022 at 11:24 AM.

It is all about the money, but be careful what you wish for. I saw a story online yesterday about Apple contacting the BIG about media rights right after USC and UCLA joining was announced. Apple can certainly outbid any network if they really want to. Imagine the outcry if you’ll need an Apple TV or Apple TV+ subscription to watch any BIG or SEC games. Apple did just that with MLS starting next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Apple is already dipping a toe in the water with a Friday Night MLB package where they get exclusive rights to baseball games, even over local networks (i.e. Bally Sports Ohio). Peacock (NBC streaming) also started doing a Sunday morning MLB game this season.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Apple is already dipping a toe in the water with a Friday Night MLB package where they get exclusive rights to baseball games, even over local networks (i.e. Bally Sports Ohio). Peacock (NBC streaming) also started doing a Sunday morning MLB game this season.
    Rumor is they’ll get NFL Sunday Ticket when DirecTV’s contract ends. Maybe 2024? They have enough cash on hand to pretty much do whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.