Page 471 of 520 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 5194
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    ND on the clock apparently. I think this is going to happen.
    It makes sense. NBC will never match or even be able to match the single school payout that will equal what the B1G and SEC schools are about to receive. You pull out a scale. On one side is tradition and the benefits of true national independence. On the other side is a mountain of cash, and, ironically, the ability to maintain USC, Michigan State, etc. on your schedule. So what if you punt five ACC schools that you had to belly up to the bar with to the curb in order to maneuver what was necessary for maintaining some semblance of competitiveness the last time around.

Also in clear view, at least in the mind, is the fact that we are truly driving towards a watershed moment this time around; not very many train stops left to go after this upheaval takes place.

It simply isn't the mid-60's any longer when there where 3 network channels and Lindsay Nelson doing post game recaps of ND on Sunday morning. This puppy - big-time college football - has been stood on its head and morphed into a full fledged business. Already finding the competition severe, Notre Dame is now faced with getting financially boat raced by two conferences that are being driven collectively by probably about 10 schools, primarily, if they don't jump on board this time.
    Last edited by xudash; 07-01-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    X A V I E R

An interesting thing is ND moving might actually save a few teams that don’t get in otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    An interesting thing is ND moving might actually save a few teams that don’t get in otherwise.
    I actually see it going the other way.

Which programs are truly at risk if this is about, say, getting to 2 juggernauts with 20 teams apiece:

All existing B1G teams are LUCKY and protected (i.e. programs will not get kicked out).
    Ditto the SEC.

The ACC? How would you like to be the AD of Boston College, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and Pitt, in particular?

If it becomes true that the B1G will also eventually pick off two more PAC 12 schools, then how would you like to be the AD of Wassou, Oregon State, Utah and maybe even Colorado and ASU?

The entire Big 12, following UT and OU's departures will be at risk.

Schools like UNC, maybe UVA, Florida State, Clumpson, Miami, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Colorado are not sweating as much (I understand I have a little overlap in here from above (e.g. Colorado; it's just too fluid right now to pin things down)).

Pretty simple math, really. If it is about getting to two massive conferences having 20 teams apiece - if that is what ESPN and Fox is willing to optimize in terms of payouts - then there are only so many chairs left on the deck.
    Last edited by xudash; 07-01-2022 at 05:48 PM.
    X A V I E R

I think the Big might stand pat if ND doesn’t join.

Reading pac12 boards more programs than just Oregon and Washington “applied to the big.

One post I saw made a case for Zona due to it being a retirement locale for many big alums, and it’s great playoff bowl weather. Interesting stuff.

Just curious. Where does the magic 20 teams per big conference come from?

Anyway, I can see the SEC picking up the best from the ACC to get there.

Ah...the rumor mill: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1543024136099880961
    Last edited by paulxu; 07-01-2022 at 08:29 PM.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Just curious. Where does the magic 20 teams per big conference come from?

Anyway, I can see the SEC picking up the best from the ACC to get there.

Ah...the rumor mill: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1543024136099880961
    Paul, personally, I have seen it in a number of different places. Obviously, at this point, it probably is more speculation than anything. Nonetheless, getting to 20 teams per super conference or 24 teams per super conference seems to be the direction.
    X A V I E R

As far as ND goes - I would be shocked (and disappointed) if they joined the B1G. But the USC / UCLA was a bit of a shocker, and a disappointment, so...

Also, B1G compensation is already almost twice what ND gets (43 mil to 22 mil) so $$$ hasn't seemed to be as much of an issue...yet.

Maybe the deal will be too much to pass up.

I thought previous changes have been pretty monumental. This one could top them all. Historic.

Craziness abounds.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

They really need to separate football from everything else. Iff they manage to screw up the NCAA Tournament by excluding those outside the "super conferences" (whether the Big East makes that cut or not), it would be monumental in its stupidity.