Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Good point. My wife and I have had iPhone 3GS's for almost 2 years now. We will likely upgrade to the 4GS or 5 this fall when our contracts are up. I find the iphone to be a great 'personal phone' but a so-so (at best) 'business phone'. Typing emails on the iphone is a chore and the lack of tactile feedback provided by the touchscreen makes it more difficult for me to type accurately. I used to have a Blackberry Worldphone that I used for work that had an actual dedicated keyboard and I found that much easier to type emails on.

For basically everything else the iphone rocks. If you already use itunes and have an ipod you will love the seamless way the iphone fits with the itunes interface. The apps are good (they even have a TomTom app that turns your iphone into a GPS device) and from my experience the iphone is a durable and reliable device, much more so that any phone I have used in recent memory.

Overall my vote goes to the iphone, unless you are doing a lot of emailing, in which case you may want to consider a droid that has a slide-out keyboard.
    There is a free Mapquest GPS app with voice available for the iphone 4 that I have been using. I think the TomTom app is for an extra fee.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    There is a free Mapquest GPS app with voice available for the iphone 4 that I have been using. I think the TomTom app is for an extra fee.
    Yeah. It's not cheap, like $60 and another $60 for the windshield mount. It is pretty cool though. It works very well and also lets you use your iphone as hands-free device while driving. My understanding is that there is an actual GPS chip in the windshield mount for the TomTom app that renders it significantly more accurate than the iphone GPS.

I will check out the mapquest GPS though as well. Thanks for the heads up.
    Eat Donuts!

I have an evo and like it a lot. Only drawback is battery life, but I got some cheap extra batteries that I can swap out if I know I'm gonna be out for a while. I will probably upgrade to the Galaxy S2 when that comes out.

Rumor is iphone5 will come out in september, so if you go that route you might want to hold out a couple of months.

Really you can't go wrong with either the iphone or a high end android device. comes down to personal preference.

The droid has a better opperating system and while the # of apps currently lags the iphone it will surpass it within a few years if not sooner.

Also both phones have incredibly high approval ratings but droid is slightly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I was all set to get the iPhone4 and then I surprised myself and went Droid with an HTC Incredible2, which is very similar to the Thunderbolt except its not 4G. I have had it for about 2 months and I really like it. It was also a lot cheaper. I am a fan of both but I don't regret my choice. It foes what I want it to do and its plenty fast and unlike the iPhone, I can swap out the battery myself if there is an issue.
    Exactly what I did probably 3 or 4 months ago as well.

Mine has given me 1 or 2 problems tho. Every time I leave the state of Ohio, it thinks I leave the country. Granted, I have always thought that Kentucky was a foreign country anyway. Glad to see that Verizon agrees.
    Xavier university. Founded and still living in 1831.

Just an FYI. A Droid is just one type of Android phone. Not all Android phones are Droids. Kind of like "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares."

As for which one to get, it really depends on what you want out of your phone and what you want to do with it. I actually wrote a blog post about this to help my friend buy his first ever smartphone. He ended up with an Android. Check it out: Help I want to buy a smartphone
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.