Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    They don't do doubleheaders in a true sense at Xavier - it's logistically impossible when you factor in regular attendance for the men (usually about 95-100% capacity) plus the season ticket base for the women (about 1000-1500). They'll clear the arena out and do a day-night doubleheader for both teams when necessary.

I'd like to think that winning in and of itself will draw fans out, but it doesn't do it alone. McGuff when he was here would schedule some BCS conference teams but rarely would you get a real name team like Georgia or Maryland to come to Cintas. At this point, I don't know if Duke and Stanford are committed to coming in 2011-12; I could see those games getting a few hundred fans that wouldn't normally come to a women's game, but no more.

I don't think it's conference affiliation - UC plays in the Big East (which I do think is now the premier conference in women's hoops) and they can't draw jack because they refuse to commit to that program whatsoever. The Xavier brass does want women's hoops to succeed, but we're a long way off from seeing the program becoming self-sustaining (if ever).
    They brought USC to the Cintas this year and drew 1600 fans. I was there and couldn't believe the turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post

I for one will always be there, although living 1000 miles frm Cintas makes it tough to see more than a couple games a year. My support will be through listening to Schmaltzy's broadcast on the web and watching the TV broadcast whenever I can, I'll also pick up those internet broadcasts whenever I can, even if it does cost a few bucks. I support women's basketball up though, besides being the announcer for one fo the states top college teams, I attended about 2 dozen games last season.
    The travel is my major hurdle. It's hard making the commitment when I already take time away from work to go to the Men's Games. I could be better about watching online or tv though. Perhaps I should look into that.

How much do Women's Season Tickets cost?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    The travel is my major hurdle. It's hard making the commitment when I already take time away from work to go to the Men's Games. I could be better about watching online or tv though. Perhaps I should look into that.

How much do Women's Season Tickets cost?
    As little as $50
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    They brought USC to the Cintas this year and drew 1600 fans. I was there and couldn't believe the turnout.
    USC may have been big when they had Cheryl Miller in the mid-80s, but they're no longer a blue-blood in the women's game like I mentioned. Even traditionally strong schools like Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion have faded away.

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    Just a small note to add, separately since most of you won't read my long rant.
    If you really love hoops, embrace the game at all levels. I really learned to love the game when my daughter started playing. I can watch jr high, high school, any level of college ball, even pick up games . Boys, girls, men women, even the seniors. I love it.
    And my love for the game has grown even bigger, I am in the midst of certifying to referee at the high school level. Nothing more fun than reffing back to back middle school games!

If you really love the game, get involved in it and you'll start to see that it is exciting at any level!
    I concur. I just love bball.

I love to watch the NBA, WNBA, college, foreign. I caught a D league game on tv a couple years ago and watch it.

Basketball is an awesome game. I can't get enough of it.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    As little as $50
    I'm trying to decide if I should buy them to support the program (even though I likely won't use 80% of the tickets). I could always donate them to the Boys/Girls club.

I think we need actual people in the seats... not just money pumped into the program.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Same reason why all other female sports (amatuer or professional) get less attendance.

When you have the option of watching more athletic, bigger, faster, stronger players in the male athlete, the time and money are going to be spent there.

The only female sporting event I would even consider watching is professional golf. They are damn good and some are easy on the eyes.....Natalie Gulbis.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Same reason why all other female sports (amatuer or professional) get less attendance.

When you have the option of watching more athletic, bigger, faster, stronger players in the male athlete, the time and money are going to be spent there.

The only female sporting event I would even consider watching is professional golf. They are damn good and some are easy on the eyes.....Natalie Gulbis.
    athletic, bigger, faster, and stronger players don't in my mind necessarily make a better game of basketball. But I'm not a fan of highlight reel dunks every time down the floor either.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    The Xavier brass does want women's hoops to succeed, but we're a long way off from seeing the program becoming self-sustaining (if ever).
    They really do want the women's program to succeed. I was involved with the program a few years back and was in on some of the marketing stuff, they were running the program just like the men's with real marketing efforts, similar stuff during the halftime and timeouts.

As far as being self sustaining, that right now is not a realistic goal, and I suspect XU is fully aware of that. Did you know that even UConn's WBB is not a self sustaining program?

Muskie, I would urge you to become a season ticket holder. Take friends with you, if you have to miss a game give the tickets to a co worker with kids. I think that once people see the product the XU puts on the floor they will become fans, it's just a matter of getting over the tired old "men are better" attitude. That is an insult to the effort these players put forth in the name of XU. I would think that XU alums would be very happy to pay just a couple bucks for the opportunity of quality entertainment and the chance to exhibit pride in the Alma Mater!

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    I concur. I just love bball.

I love to watch the NBA, WNBA, college, foreign. I caught a D league game on tv a couple years ago and watch it.

Basketball is an awesome game. I can't get enough of it.
    I've gone to D-league games. We have a team here in Maine. It's run under the Celtics, and was coached by Ainge's son (who was point guard at BYU when XU beat em in the NCAA in 07!)
    It's a very exciting product. And who would have thought Maine would turn out for the games, but it's been hosting sellouts for 2 years!
    It's not near the product you see on the floor in an NBA game, but it appears to me they do it with some instilled "home town team" pride.
    However they do it, it does seem to work.