Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobballfan View Post
    Yes, it does seem wbbfan has not denied the accusations of DoubleDribble. I think DoubleDribble hit it right on the head. A shame Coach Neighbors was such a sore loser and had to knock Coach Waugh and the program when they have not even had a chance to prove themselves. I think this staff will work very hard to prove the the ex-coach wrong.
    Just who was it that PROVED in any way shape or form that wbfan is who he or she is accused of? Anyone??? Good Lord folks, one unsubstantiated conspiracy theory and all of the sudden our former top assistance is a "sore loser" and "classless?" Jeezel petes.

Don't want to take away from the turn this thread has taken so I'll predict that wbfan, aka ex coach neighbors will be challenged by doubledribble, aka coach waugh to an all or nothing winner take all wwf style texas cage match. Winner gets to return here, belt in hand, and call the other a poopy head. Lets get ready to rumblllllllllle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by spongebob; 05-29-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    That's what I meant earlier when I said: "that's not what college sports is all about." Paying its own way should not be the only criterion for a college to retain or jettison a specific sports program. The fact remains that Xavier is already on the low end on the number of sports programs it sponsors at the intercollegiate level. As far as I know, there is no wrestling, softball, LAX (m or w), men's volleyball, fencing, rowing, or gymnastics (m or w). XU dropped its support of the rifle team (which I think won at least one national championship). We all know of the demise of our NCAA Football team in 1973.

Using the pay-or-you-go logic, I assume some people won't be happy until XU gets rid of all sports except Men's Basketball. The only problem with that is --- what Conference would want such a one-dimentional member?
    If paying it's way shouldn't be a criteria then why not provide all athletes with full scholarships instead of just basketball players. That would be nice and it could be covered by raising everybody elses tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    My argument is that the men's basketball program pays it's own way and the women's program doesn't and the big reason is that most women don't care enough about the sport to go the the games and subsidize it financially. Most business can't operate that way and running a University is a business.
    Again I'll ask what your point is. Do you mean that women's sport is less important than mens? If you look around at games I think you'll find a much higher percentage of women and young girls at the games than men, and that percentage is much higher than it is at men's games. When you spout about this do you mean that men are better than women? Or do you mean that since women's sports at the college level do not pay their way, they should be eliminated? If that is your suggestion then just wipe then all out, because even UConn;s WBB program is not self supporting. Then wipe out all the D-II and D-III sport programs across the country since they are not self supporting.
    We know that women's sports are not well supported, are you working to change that? I am.
    Last edited by XU-PA; 05-30-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    Again I'll ask what your point is. Do you mean that women's sport is less important than mens? If you look around at games I think you'll find a much higher percentage of women and young girls at the games than men, and that percentage is much higher than it is at men's games. When you spout about this do you mean that men are better than women? Or do you mean that since women's sports at the college level do not pay their way, they should be eliminated? If that is your suggestion then just wipe then all out, because even UConn;s WBB program is not self supporting. Then wipe out all the D-II and D-III sport programs across the country since they are not self supporting.
    We know that women's sports are not well supported, are you working to change that? I am.
    All you have to do is get women to support womens sports at the same level that men support mens sports and the funding problem will be solved. I don't determine which one is the most important. It's reflected in the attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    All you have to do is get women to support womens sports at the same level that men support mens sports and the funding problem will be solved. I don't determine which one is the most important. It's reflected in the attendance.

That's just plain stupid

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    That's just plain stupid
    I don't think I'd go so far as to describe xuwin's statement as "stupid," but I certainly don't see the solution to the xuwin-perceived XU Women's basketball attendance "problem" as a gender-related thing.

A lot of women attend the XU men's games. Given the truth of that statement, would it not make sense therefore to place some of the deficiencies in attendance at the women's games at the feet of a similar number of men who fail to attend those games?

I've heard guys state that the women are not as big, athletic, and interesting to watch. But the two games (men's ansd women's) are relative. It's not like the Muskie Ladies have to try to compete against Temple's, UMass's, or GW's Men's teams. The women's games are interesting, the skills needed for success in each are the same, and now that we have a coach who was brought up in the more technically-savvy system of Melanie Balcomb, the future could well be bright after we experience a period of adjustment.

Mike Bobinski has made few, if any, mistakes in picking coaches for the two most watched sports on Xavier's campus. I am going to assume his selection of Amy Waugh will produce dividends down the line just like we've seen with Coach McGuff and his men's coaching counterparts.

First of all, I am not Mike Neighbors. Secondly, I suppose I have been “quiet” by your standards because I was actually out visiting with the 3-D people of the world instead of sitting on a message board bashing people’s character all during my Memorial Day weekend. Happy holidays! I am not the one who brought up Coach Neighbors’ name in the first place on here and am FAR from the first person to mention his name on this board and even in this thread as a potential option for our coach. I didn’t even say I wanted him to be the coach. I said I wouldn’t mind if he had been chosen. The only reason I gave such a long answer is because I was asked THREE different times why I felt the way I did. I’d also like to say that all my opinions have been based in fact and I didn’t slam anybody personally, nor would I. I ALSO said I hoped I was wrong in my assumption that the team and staff may struggle. This is a game, people. Lighten up! You also may want to look into defamation of character laws as they pertain to message boards next time you’re sitting on the computer all day waiting for me to say something.

I don't pretend to know the relative health of the Women's program, but what are some of the ways we can get more fans involved?

I've been a proponent of doing a double header with the Women's team playing a game on Saturday Afternoon followed by the Men's game that night.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

After reviewing this thread, I'm closing it. It hasn't been about the subject in several pages now. I realize this is the off-season. But please remember to keep it civil. There's no need to be calling people stupid or other names because you don't agree.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook