Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$2 Million lottery winner uses food stamps

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_locald...of-food-stamps

Ron French, Detroit News staff writer
    A Michigan man who won $2 million in a state lottery game continues to collect food stamps 11 months after striking it rich.
    And there's nothing the state can do about it, at least for now.
    Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.
    Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.
    Food stamps are paid for through tax dollars and are meant to help support low-income families.
    "If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday.
    Wilson said Fick told the DHS officials he'd won $2 million but was told he could keep using the Bridge Card issued to him to buy groceries.
    Fick could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
    Al Kimichik, director of the office of inspector general for DHS, said the department could not comment on individual cases but that it this week began the process of requesting a waiver from the federal government to close the lottery loophole. If it is granted, assets would be counted in determining food stamp eligibility.
    Though the food stamp program is federal and states must follow U.S. guidelines, states sometimes request waivers of rules. Michigan was granted a waiver recently to stop college students from qualifying for food stamps.
    "For Leroy Fick to continue to use a Bridge Card, paid for by the taxpayers, after winning the lottery, is obscene," said Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge. "What a waste of taxpayer money."
    Jones contacted DHS officials Monday about Fick's case, and was told the department's hands were tied by federal regulations.
    "There is no liquid asset requirement for getting food stamps," Jones said. "The department is asking the federal government for an immediate change (in policy). They're hoping this case will help the federal government act."
    Until then, Fick can collect food stamps and keep his lottery winnings in the bank.
    "I am not going to sit and debate the ethics of this," Wilson said. "But from his standpoint, he did what he was supposed to do -- he informed the state, and the state said he could keep using the card. The problem is with the state."
    No, I be concubining.

Part of Detroit is in John Conyers district. I'm sure he'll straighten this all out. Right after he gets full employment for everyone.
    ... We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm

"I am not going to sit and debate the ethics of this," Wilson said. "But from his standpoint, he did what he was supposed to do -- he informed the state, and the state said he could keep using the card. The problem is with the state."

While this may be true, he could make the personal decision to not use the card even though it has been issued to him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you aren't forced to use food stamps. Does the bridge card come with a man from the state holding a gun to your head forcing you to use the card? Just shred the damn thing and call it a day.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMuskie View Post

While this may be true, he could make the personal decision to not use the card even though it has been issued to him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you aren't forced to use food stamps. Does the bridge card come with a man from the state holding a gun to your head forcing you to use the card? Just shred the damn thing and call it a day.

His argument was that he didn't feel guilty about taking the food stamps because with the amount of taxes that the government took out of his winnings he definitely paid more than his share anyway. As bad as it looks I think he does have an argument. His taxes are paying for a lot of food stamps.

The government takes a lot of my money too, but I don't get food stamps. I've been working since I was 14 years old, so I know I've paid my fair share in to the welfare system. He was on food stamps prior to winning the lottery, so I sincerely doubt he was paying taxes for his food stamps at that point. Even though the government does take taxes from lottery winnings, he still can decide not to use the food stamps now that he has more money than many people. He does have that capability, and would make him a more conscientious member of the community. His attitude is the attitude of most people in this country, and that's why this country is in the shape it's in. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything and that the government should be there to serve them in every way possible.
    Zip Em Up!

The government takes a lot of my money too, but I don't get food stamps. I've been working since I was 14 years old, so I know I've paid my fair share in to the welfare system. He was on food stamps prior to winning the lottery, so I sincerely doubt he was paying taxes for his food stamps at that point. Even though the government does take taxes from lottery winnings, he still can decide not to use the food stamps now that he has more money than many people. He does have that capability, and would make him a more conscientious member of the community. His attitude is the attitude of most people in this country, and that's why this country is in the shape it's in. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything and that the government should be there to serve them in every way possible.

Racist!

Two million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. He's got to maintain his crack habit, have multiple velvet Elvis paintings commissioned, double wides to build in tornado alley for all his family, an illegal gun collection to build and $300K still needs to be buried in the backyard for safe keeping.

His attitude is the attitude of most people in this country, and that's why this country is in the shape it's in. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything and that the government should be there to serve them in every way possible.
    I'm not sure that's right. He was fully in compliance. He reported his winnings and was apparently wiling to forgo the food stamps if that was the decision of the state agency. His decision to continue may not be my favorite ever, but it wasn't him who claimed to be entitled to the food stamps. It was the government. He's just enjoying the favorable result of their decision.

I don't love the guy's actions, but the bulk of the blame goes to the government in my opinion.

His attitude is the attitude of most people in this country, and that's why this country is in the shape it's in. Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything and that the government should be there to serve them in every way possible.
    You want an entitled a**hole. This guy (freak) chooses to live his life as a baby, complete with a live in nurse. They even have a P.C. name for it, "adult baby."

Stanley the Adult Baby

Now I know you're wondering, "what does this guy's fetish (or whatever the hell you want to call it) have to do with entitlement." Well the guy is actually perfectly capable of functioning like a regular human being but claims he cannot hold down a steady job and therefore lives off of disability benefits. Not only that, when threatened with losing his benefits, this is the fantastic response he gives:

"You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don't care. I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag."
    I'm with you Lady Muskie, this pervasive "me first" entitlement attitude is what has this country in this shape. I hope they cut his checks and I hope he offs himself. The guy is a waste resources.
    "He's just saying that because he loses every year. If I got my butt kicked, I'd say the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    Two million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to. He's got to maintain his crack habit, have multiple velvet Elvis paintings commissioned, double wides to build in tornado alley for all his family, an illegal gun collection to build and $300K still needs to be buried in the backyard for safe keeping.
    Fair point. I didn't think of that.
    Zip Em Up!