Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Guns in bars

I was jumped going into a UDF. Had my nose broken and three teeth knocked out. Though I am pro CCW, I can tell you that I would have had no time to go for a weapon of any kind. However, if my friend who was about ten yards behind me would have had one, I have no doubt that I would still have my teeth.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    I was jumped going into a UDF. Had my nose broken and three teeth knocked out. Though I am pro CCW, I can tell you that I would have had no time to go for a weapon of any kind. However, if my friend who was about ten yards behind me would have had one, I have no doubt that I would still have my teeth.
    Maybe you could have shot them as they walked away though, had you had a gun. You probably would have wanted to get them to turn around first though, to make it look legit.

In all seriousness I think that we need more people shooting people who try to rob them. If somebody jumps you, you should be within your legal rights to shoot them in the back of the head while they walk away if you get the chance.

We also need much, much, much harsher penalties for perpetrators of violent crimes. Something that is a true deterrant. Many of the people who are in and out of jail don't really mind jail that much. It isn't much of a deterrant to them.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    We also need much, much, much harsher penalties for perpetrators of violent crimes. Something that is a true deterrant. Many of the people who are in and out of jail don't really mind jail that much. It isn't much of a deterrant to them.
    A few laws that are strictly enforced is much better than a ton of laws loosely enforced. I agree that the punishment for violent crime is not harsh enough. On top of that our law enforcement agencies waste far too much time fighting a needless war of prohibition. When you can spend more time in jail for smoking weed than assaulting someone with a baseball bat we have seriously misplaced priorities.

In all seriousness I think that we need more people shooting people who try to rob them. If somebody jumps you, you should be within your legal rights to shoot them in the back of the head while they walk away if you get the chance.
    Yeah, the law won't allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
    A few laws that are strictly enforced is much better than a ton of laws loosely enforced. I agree that the punishment for violent crime is not harsh enough. On top of that our law enforcement agencies waste far too much time fighting a needless war of prohibition. When you can spend more time in jail for smoking weed than assaulting someone with a baseball bat we have seriously misplaced priorities.
    +1

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I'm pondering this aloud because I honestly don't know the answer, but I wonder how often someone has actually thwarted a robbery, a burglary or an attack because they had a handgun in their sock.
    There was an incident out here in Omaha just over a year ago. Two youts were robbing a Walgreens with a shotgun. One of the customers was CCW. He pulled out his handgun, shot one dead and wounded the other. The wounded one hobbled off, but turned himself in for medical support. It turned out that their shotgun wasn't even loaded. They were just punks. Regardless, the shooter was a semi-hero for about week (being in the news and the papers and all). Turned out he worked at a video store or something. Now, the shooter was not the one being attacked, but he did thwart the robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I don't really get what you're trying to say. Holster, sock, whatever. Each requires a decent amount of time to grab in order to properly defend yourself.

Then why did you mention sock exclusively? I would assume you are aware that many people have used holstered weapons to fend off those who have malicious intentions. Why then would a sock be any different?
    It just doesn't make much sense, that's all.

I don't know man. People do some dumb stuff when they are drunk. I personnaly know some pretty big idiots who have gotten CCW permits so they definitely aren't difficult to obtain. I am very pro CCW but I don't think that they need to be in bars.

I also think this is pretty much a moot point as every bar owner would put up a sign banning guns from their establishment anyways.
    True, but again, a person that gets blitzed and doesn't have regard for anything, probably isn't going to be the person to care about CCW law anyway. I'm guessing they're more the type who huff paint, molest kids and beat women. Those types are everywhere. It's like the threat of a car wreck or cancer, just something we have to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    I've been robbed at gun and knife point a few times in my life (Puerto Rico as a whole isn't as safe as you might imagine it is when stopping through on vacation). It's my sincere belief (as is yours) that a concealed weapon would have been useless, or would have served to only escalate the situation. There is not an advanced warning system for being robbed; when it happens it happens. Perhaps in a few situations you may be able to postulate that the person walking toward you or behind you has less then honorable intentions. However, what are you to do if you have a concealed weapon? Are you going to draw your weapon on anybody approaching you that looks remotely shady, that you may suspect is trying to visit harm upon you? I'm not against a person who is properly licensed and a law abiding citizen carrying a gun, but I don't believe it actually makes you any safer. I actually like guns. I've been shooting with my grandfather since I was 10 (Safe? no. Smart? probably not. Awesome? You bet your ass.)

I think a gun is fine for protection in the home. The circumstances are different when someone breaks in, namely, you know they are bad and you know you can blow em' away and be well within your rights. All in all, while some people may feel more secure with a concealed weapon, I don't think it actually makes you any safer.
    "He's just saying that because he loses every year. If I got my butt kicked, I'd say the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by EternalLife View Post
    True, but again, a person that gets blitzed and doesn't have regard for anything, probably isn't going to be the person to care about CCW law anyway. I'm guessing they're more the type who huff paint, molest kids and beat women. Those types are everywhere. It's like the threat of a car wreck or cancer, just something we have to live with.
    I always use Singapore as an example of this. Violent crime is extremely rare in Singapore becuase the punishments as very harsh. Even drug addicts and scumbags have a sense of self preservation. If you were going to spend 25 years in prison in very poor conditions for beating and robbing someone most people would be less likely to do so.

I'm not saying Singapore is a perfect system (they have harsh penalties for a lot of crimes that, IMO, don't warrant it) but it is a very safe country because they punish violent criminals.
    Eat Donuts!