Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gettysburg/Washington DC

Taking my 16 and 18 year old boys to Gettysburg Thursday and DC Fri-Sunday and coming back Monday. I'll be setting up room reservations tomorrow.

Thoughts, ideas, any you don't want to miss this suggestions, or don't waste your time doing this would be appreciated.
    Balls of Steele!!

I've been to Gettysburg a few times chaperoning 8th graders. Just being on the hills, in Devil's Den, etc. can be pretty moving if you take your time and quietly observe the area. I really felt like I was not alone.

A friend somehow got on the grounds early, around dawn. He talks about it like it was one of the most freaky things he's experienced.

In DC, I always try to grab lunch at the top of the Washington Hotel, overlooking the White House.
    Last edited by Frambo; 04-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Gettysburg is scary. I'm not kidding. If you don't believe in ghosts, spend a night out on the battlefield and see if you don't change your mind.

As for DC, it really depends on what you're trying to do (I mean the best thing going on in town this weekend is the Caps/Rangers game 5 Saturday night!) Obviously, you should do the mall, check out the monuments/memorials/museums. Do you have any specific things you want to see/do/eat/etc. in mind? Most people like seeing the cherry blossoms this time of year (honestly, I never really got it) and it is really nice to be around that part of town if you get decent weather. But if you are taking metro, try to avoid it Saturday a couple hours before and right after the Caps game, because it will be unbearably packed and uncomfortable, more so than normal rush hour. Otherwise, it's a very useful way of transportation that will get you pretty much everywhere notable except for Georgetown.

gettysburg tip

In gettysburg I would suggest the guided tour. go to the visitor center and they have guides that will drive your vehicle around the area. let's you see the sites and they know where to go and can point out stuff you would never know about. It was cheap too. I know I tipped the guy ( who was a civil war buff) $20.00 and it was still the highlight of our trip. I would not miss standing in the spot Lincoln gave his famous speech is way cool and historic. Also if you drive back the southern route the ride is beautiful through the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by strsail View Post
    In gettysburg I would suggest the guided tour. go to the visitor center and they have guides that will drive your vehicle around the area. let's you see the sites and they know where to go and can point out stuff you would never know about. It was cheap too. I know I tipped the guy ( who was a civil war buff) $20.00 and it was still the highlight of our trip. I would not miss standing in the spot Lincoln gave his famous speech is way cool and historic. Also if you drive back the southern route the ride is beautiful through the mountains.
    I second this.

In DC, if you can try and get to Mount Vernon, about an hour south, check it out. Pretty cool.

Good luck, both places are fun and interesting.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Gettysburg is a very moving experience. Good for your sons and you.

I agree about the tours. The tours will provide so much more insight and information than if you wing it.

Many things happened, but who knows what the outcome of the war would have been had Chamberlain not held at Little Roundtop. How everything unfolded there was extraordinary. It is worth just going there to stand where Pickett's charge made their breach. Go stand at the Highwater Mark of the Confederacy, then imagine going through a passport station on your way into Virginia.

The South came in from the North and the North came in from the South. And three of the most extraordinary days in the history of this nation took place.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Taking my 16 and 18 year old boys to Gettysburg Thursday and DC Fri-Sunday and coming back Monday. I'll be setting up room reservations tomorrow.

Thoughts, ideas, any you don't want to miss this suggestions, or don't waste your time doing this would be appreciated.
    EVERYBODY needs to make this trip with their kids at least once. Great stuff. Last time we stayed at a hotel a block from the Capitol. Took the tour bus one of the days to see what we wanted to spend more time in the next day - Air and Space won, of course.

The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is one of the most inspiring and emotion-invoking ceremonies you will ever witness. You can't walk away without feeling a ridiculous amount of patriotism.

If you and your sons are news junkies check out the Newseum. Very cool and worth the money.

Sophomore
    I agree with seeing the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington.
    I saw this as a freshman in high school over 25 years ago and still get goose bumps when I think about it