Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    If you meet certain basic science prereqs in a little over 2 years you can earn a Physician's Assistant degree, have great job security, and make $85,000 to 200,000 per year depending on what specialty you enter (primary care the lowest, dermatology the highest).

Good investment vs. earning potential/job security.

Start your own Corporate Training/Consulting company. Probably target small/medium size clients. Use writing skills to publish manuals, videos, etc.

Alternative is HR related positions, but those early level jobs are not high pay.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I can't think of a worse career move right now than going to law school. Schools are churning out JDs as fast as they can while everyone in the field is cutting back.
    I totally agree. And I would also stay away from "certificate" programs unless you are confident that the kinds of jobs you are interested want that sort of certification. If they don't, I would get my foot in the door any way I could and then work my way up through experience and insider connections.
    Last edited by X-man; 05-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Go to law school. Clients are like spoiled children, so you'll know how to handle them better than most.
    If you're a lawyer and recommending that someone go to law school, then that's just plain mean. My first words of advice when someone tells me they're going to law school is "change your mind."

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so back to the OP: hospitality is a bitch. It's a cut-throat industry, folks aren't particularly nice, and you have to work unconventional hours (a nice way of saying you have to work nights and weekends when you'd probably prefer to be with your family). I like the corporate training suggestion.

Sophomore
    I appreciate it guys,

Joe, the corporate consulting idea is tempting. I don't know if I have the coin to start something right now, but I would definately be good at any form of training. Thing is, I gotta know the material I train on. (The prob with bad teachers).

BTW, I would LOVE to travel for my work. I will look into training companies.
    2011-2012. KICK DOWN THE FUKING DOOR!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    If you're a lawyer and recommending that someone go to law school, then that's just plain mean. My first words of advice when someone tells me they're going to law school is "change your mind."
    Now that I'm in-house, my perspective on all that has changed. Life is much better.

And I tell fresh out of college with no skills kids to change their mind about law school. Actual professionals with actual skills acquired pre law school is what the profession needs more of (and those people stand a much better chance of getting the precious few good jobs available for fresh law grads).

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so back to the OP: hospitality is a bitch. It's a cut-throat industry, folks aren't particularly nice, and you have to work unconventional hours (a nice way of saying you have to work nights and weekends when you'd probably prefer to be with your family). I like the corporate training suggestion.
    I agree. Hospitality can really blow, has high turnover, and requires crazy hours. You would really have to love it to want to live it.

Corporate training sounds like a good idea, but may be hard to do from Jekyll Island.
    Eat Donuts!

Your education degree is more transferable than you may realize. All large corporations, state and federal agencies need individuals experienced in providing training and education to internal staff. This is often a function of human resources in many instances; however, many agencies have separate education departments. The creation and implementation of training/educational programs coupled with metrics to measure effectiveness are skills that are needed.

Search training as a keyword on USAJOBS.gov and see what comes up. I think you'll be surprised.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Now that I'm in-house, my perspective on all that has changed. Life is much better.

And I tell fresh out of college with no skills kids to change their mind about law school. Actual professionals with actual skills acquired pre law school is what the profession needs more of (and those people stand a much better chance of getting the precious few good jobs available for fresh law grads).
    At the very least a kid should take a year or two off from school before he or she heads to law school. Law school sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Law school sucks.
    If you've never worked before, that's probably true. If you've spent a few years in the workforce, there's a pretty good chance you'll disagree. I enjoyed the hell out of law school (other than during finals).