Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

Screw Teaching, New Career HELP

Guys, I have had it with teaching. I am calling bullshit on the education system, and I really can't take the profession serious anymore. There are some AMAZING teachers, but the system is so screwed up I don't see good teachers being able to do their job anymore. The old saying those who can do, those who can't teach--that is really not true across the board. However, those who can are basically always shut down by those who can't.

Regardless, my question is, what field would I translate into? I have done a LOT of management with staff/scheduling, and frankly I am very good at it, and I am effecient. I would have very strong references. I work extremely well with people. I have a strong reputation with my work ethic.

I am thinking of throwing myself into hospitality management. I am moving to Jekyll Island Georgia in 2 weeks, it is a major tourist area without a great deal of educated people. There is also a local college that offers a certificate in the field. I am also expecting the economy to spike back in the next few years and there to be a run on hiring.

Anyway, you guys who have a feel for this, what should my MO be? Should I step into an entry level position and just start? go to the college program? Both?

Any help/suggestion is appreciated. I'm starting to realize if I'm going to work in a dirty field I just as well make coin.
    2011-2012. KICK DOWN THE FUKING DOOR!

You could also look into corporate training. Your skills would be transferrable and you would have a "normal" work environment.
    "I was in Dayton, Ohio you ever been there? You know what's fun to do there...pack up and get the f#@$ out of there." Dave Attell

Go to law school. Clients are like spoiled children, so you'll know how to handle them better than most.

I'm interested to see where this thread goes. I'm wondering the same thing.

7 years of experience, and laid off for next year unless I get a call back. They slipped 270 in my district up in MI.

With the economy, if I don't get called back, there will be ZERO districts hiring. What on earth would I do with such a specific degree.

It's such a shame to be young and good at teaching and to get hosed by seniority while there are dinosaurs who teach kids NOTHING who have their jobs forever simply because they are old. Not to turn this into a debate on unions.

Does anybody with any knowledge have any clue of positions that aren't education related that would require a degree and take a teaching degree? With 3+ years of retail and 7 years of teaching, I've got the people skills thing down.

I just graduated and found a job with the government. It is a really good deal and most agencies, from what I can tell, are going on a big hiring push right now. There is this pretty sweet website called USAjobs.gov, if you go there you can browse for things that suit your field and your geographical area. You would probably have to start at the entry level, but I think it would be worth it because the job security is amazing.

Good luck to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Go to law school. Clients are like spoiled children, so you'll know how to handle them better than most.
    I can't think of a worse career move right now than going to law school. Schools are churning out JDs as fast as they can while everyone in the field is cutting back.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I can't think of a worse career move right now than going to law school. Schools are churning out JDs as fast as they can while everyone in the field is cutting back.
    Well, the key is to not be an idiot. A lot of the JDs being churned out are. A good schoolteacher will have a lot of the skills that make attorneys successful in real life.

Sophomore
    Go, if I was younger and had time to go through Law School I would. I should have done that 10 years ago. However, I'm ready to go to work and cash checks. This move is all about dollar signs.

All-Conference
    As mentioned above, your best bet will be in corporate training. Check out ASTD or GCHRA for Cincinnati based networking opportunities/events.

Actually, your best best bet will be having a good buddy that owns his own company...other than that, see above.

Sophomore
    And on a side note, my wife is about a year from opening up a tatoo shop. She will make great money at that, and if she does well enough I will play golf all day everyday. Maybe I will even become passable as a golfer. :)