Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Waugh

It's Waugh

not official till 2:30 i guess, but the players were notified.

I had received a private e-mail saying not to publicize it, but Joe Kay of the Associated Press already Tweeted about it.

So much for keeping it under your hat.

Congratulations, Amy. I like the hire!!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

on the plus side for Coach Waugh.
    She played the game, and will expect her players to put the same intensity into their game.
    Maybe you haven't heard the story, but in XU's elite 8 year back then, Waugh tore an achilles early, or ,maybe it was a knee, in the season. Instead of just laying back and waiting to take off the cast she would head to the practice court every day, sit in a chair and shoot from all spots on the floor. That is dedication!
    She is a magnet. When she was in uniform, she was one of those players that had her own audience, young budding ball players flocked to the game, and hung around afterwards just for a chance at talking to her, or getting an autograph. She had the same impact in the Xavier camps during her playing time.

I'll be very interesting in seeing the make up of her staff. I was very impressed with Neighbors and Morrow, wonder who she'll add. I think that with her years of experience, she'll want to add someone with strength in recruiting, perhaps someone with experience working with bigs

I focus on the pain. The only thing that's real.
    Congrats to Amy.

This should make the banquet tonight even MORE interesting. Glad I have my ticket.

Sophomore
    Very cool to see a member of my graduating class achieve a high level position on campus that I am sure she coveted. Good Luck to her and the Lady Muskies.

Freshman
    I like it. I remember that when she arrived on campus as a player, she'd made an extensive playbook just from watching Xavier play the season before. I'm pretty sure Balcomb took it and made copies for everyone else. If her playing days are any cue, we'll definitely have a much more structured offense than we've seen the past couple years.

With that said, and with all due respect to our current crop of players, people are going to have to be very patient. Next year is going to be a big challenge given what we lost out of this senior class and given we've lost at least one recruit for this class coming in.

It's working with Chris Mack, a former Muskie player dedicated to learning the nuances of the game the hard way. Amy Waugh was cut from the same cloth.

I anticipate that Coach Waugh, over the next few years, will assemble a Xavier Women's Basketball program that will not only routinely excel in the A-10 but also fulfill and even exceed expectations on the national scene.

Next year will likely be a rebuilding year but I don't look forward to giving up my women's season tickets any time soon. You can't beat it for the money and it'll be fun to watch a new coach build her program.

Waugh's hire is in keeping with the X tradition...keeping it in the family.

Freshman
    Unsurprisingly given the Cincinnati media, no one asked anything interesting during the press conference.

Amy's been here under both of our most successful coaches — playing for both Balcomb and McGuff, and then coaching under McGuff — and I would have been interested to hear what she learned from both of them, and what she plans to implement from either of them.

I'm personally really excited! I'd be curious to know who else interviewed for the job, but I assume we'll never know.