Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I completely disagree with this. If UCONN did anything overwhelming, they would have won by 30.

Both offenses were offensive.

UCONN just played less worse.
    That's how I saw it too. Any excuses for why either team played so poorly are just that... excuses. They played hard defense, but it was the pathetic offensive display last night that left the overwhelming mark.

As for the topic of the thread, I agree that college basketball is in no way declining. I've never felt that way. This was just a down year, no two ways around it. There was no sign of greatness this year for even one second, unless you count Kemba Walker or Jimmer Fredette individually. I agree that it is shortsighted to think that that is a sign of a declining product, but I also think it's shortsighted to try and draw too many overwhelming positives from this year's Final Four and tournament in general. It was fun as always, and random as ever, but there was a lot more stepping down than stepping up throughout the whole thing in my opinion. It sucks as a Xavier fan because this would have been a prime year to make a "surprise" run (I would be much less surprised with a run next year.) I do think that next year's NCAA season is going to feature much more greatness than this year's, and we will just have to be that much more prepared because of it.

I found the game to be a lot of fun. But I guess that stems from my hatred of Butler.

I love college basketball. But I'd love to see a shorter shot clock (30 seconds, or perhaps even 24). It would limit the number of upsets and make every possession a little less important. But on the positive side, games would have more of a natural flow and teams will have a better chance at making comebacks. And I think it would limit the number of intentional fouls at the end of games.

Some rumors floated around last year that major conferences opposed and swayed the NCAA to not make a major expansion of the tourney (sort of makes sense...it's much more of a fundraiser for the NCAA, not the conferences who don't want their regular season watered down).
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 04-05-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    I will openly boo whoever actually does this. Are kids so spoiled they can't wait eight hours to open their presents? Do we have to give them something every night? Just wait till the next morning, jeez.

That said I agree with the rest of what you said.

Personally, I was rooting for Butler, but then I thought that when Xavier wins next year it will make it more special to be THE non-BCS school to win it in recent history. We will be the culmination of the work done by George Mason, Memphis, VCU and Butler. It is DESTINY
    Six, in my family the reason we got gifts Xmas Eve wasn't because we were greedy and spoiled but because my parents wanted to be left in peace to catch up with visiting family. We were allowed to open a gift, one my parents knew was a toy, so we had something to occupy us and keep us out of their hair until we finally passed out. Other families do so because they spend Xmas Eve and Xmas Day with different parts of the family and want them to see the kids open the gifts they brought.

Back on the subject, I am so glad I didn't waste time on the game. While I wanted Butler to win, I wasn't excited enough to cancel one of my scheduled DVR recordings so I could watch. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Here's hoping I have a much better reason to watch next year!!

As most of you know, I've been against playing up the "luck" factor on Butler's side for the last few weeks. So I'm not going to buy into the "bad luck" or "luck catching up to them" factors, either. What I saw yesterday was a team that was physically out-classed at every position on the court. It was bound to happen, you could tell. Every shot 21-feet in was challenged. UConn had 10 --count 'em 10 -- blocked shots. They blocked nearly as many FG's as Butler made. And those that weren't blocked were adjusted to avoid the block or short-armed out of fear of a block. Howard and Smith looked like freshmen when they went up with shots. They had no confidence at all. At least half of their shots on the inside looked like they were just heaved up with the hope of hitting something. That 2nd half was an utter dismantling of a well-coached team. If they hadn't kept playing defense, it would have been a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    I found the game to be a lot of fun. But I guess that stems from my hatred of Butler.

I love college basketball. But I'd love to see a shorter shot clock (30 seconds, or perhaps even 24). It would limit the number of upsets and make every possession a little less important. But on the positive side, games would have more of a natural flow and teams will have a better chance at making comebacks. And I think it would limit the number of intentional fouls at the end of games.
    I absolutely agree that the shot clock needs to be shortened. Far too many teams are taking the air out of the ball to shorten the game. No one wants to watch a PG dribble the ball at half court for 10-15 seconds every possession.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I absolutely agree that the shot clock needs to be shortened. Far too many teams are taking the air out of the ball to shorten the game. No one wants to watch a PG dribble the ball at half court for 10-15 seconds every possession.
    My biggest problem is the number of stoppages. It's becoming like a damned football game with every play scripted from the bench. I was at the First Four and there was one passage where :47 of play in the middle of the half took close to 15 minutes to play. If it's inevitable that there are going to be 4 TV timeouts per half, then they should dramatically reduce the number of timeouts teams have to use, and make them all :30 or :45.

Quote Originally Posted by blobfan View Post
    six, in my family the reason we got gifts xmas eve wasn't because we were greedy and spoiled but because my parents wanted to be left in peace to catch up with visiting family. We were allowed to open a gift, one my parents knew was a toy, so we had something to occupy us and keep us out of their hair until we finally passed out. Other families do so because they spend xmas eve and xmas day with different parts of the family and want them to see the kids open the gifts they brought.
    boooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    My biggest problem is the number of stoppages. It's becoming like a damned football game with every play scripted from the bench. I was at the First Four and there was one passage where :47 of play in the middle of the half took close to 15 minutes to play. If it's inevitable that there are going to be 4 TV timeouts per half, then they should dramatically reduce the number of timeouts teams have to use, and make them all :30 or :45.
    Since I watch mostly on TV, I don't mind those. More opportunities to go to the fridge and the toilet.

"And one of these days, a non-BCS team will win it all......"

BCS is a football term, but I know what you mean...That team is destined to be Xavier. Let's get it done.
    Last edited by waggy; 04-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    As most of you know, I've been against playing up the "luck" factor on Butler's side for the last few weeks. So I'm not going to buy into the "bad luck" or "luck catching up to them" factors, either. What I saw yesterday was a team that was physically out-classed at every position on the court. It was bound to happen, you could tell. Every shot 21-feet in was challenged. UConn had 10 --count 'em 10 -- blocked shots. They blocked nearly as many FG's as Butler made. And those that weren't blocked were adjusted to avoid the block or short-armed out of fear of a block. Howard and Smith looked like freshmen when they went up with shots. They had no confidence at all. At least half of their shots on the inside looked like they were just heaved up with the hope of hitting something. That 2nd half was an utter dismantling of a well-coached team. If they hadn't kept playing defense, it would have been a joke.

Totally agree. That's exactly what I saw, and why I responded as I did. No other team had been able to last against Butler's "play every possession mentality" till Monday. You could just see the life beginning to ooz out of Butler around the 10 minute mark.

It was an ugly, defensive war, but one that UConn found a way to actually distance itself from Butler to win at the end.

On that note: screw the Big East.
    X A V I E R