Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

What does everyone here do for a living?

Since we have a networking board now (Thanks Muskie!) I thought that it might be good for us to post a little bit about our careers for the benefit of other posters who may be in the same field/industry and want to network, as well as the students who may want to reach out to a fellow posters to get information about a particular job field. I know that I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do when I was an undergraduate student!

I'll start:

I work in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry doing Sales and Shopper Insights work for a global beverage company. I have about 3 years of experience in that field. Previously I spent about 3 years in the banking industry doing both Sales and Credit Analysis. I have an undergrad degree from Xavier in Finance (minor in IT) and will finish my MBA at Xavier (marketing concentration) in May.

I love to network with anyone out there who works in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry, or any students who are considering working in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry. Just send me a PM.
    Eat Donuts!

I sell crack cocaine to inner city youth. I give it out for free at playgrounds and I wait for the kids that come back. The kids that come back are the ones you want. It is a great Multi-Level marketing opportunity and if anyone wants a franchise hit me up with some reps and I will set you up with a base account for the school children in your own community. Great perks and benefits and the time off is the whip. It's changed my life. The money you can make in this field is only limited to your own ambition.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

I buy crack cocaine from a shady gentleman who calls himself "Snipe."

Trophy husband.

Junior
    I'm a software engineer for an online retail company in Seattle. If there are any smart software developers or business/MBA-type folks who want a job in Seattle, let me know. It's extremely rare that we're not hiring.

Great idea - I'll play along. Since October 2010, I am no longer an employee, but I've never been busier in my life.

1. I am co-owner and President of Big Ten SportsWatch (www.bigtensportswatch.com), which is just one part of the entire brand of SportsWatch conference sites. The founder of SportsWatch owns the domain rights to the six major conferences plus the Mountain West since he's based in Vegas. (If only the A-10 had football...)

Our Big Ten site will go live by the end of the month, but Pac-12 is supposed to go live today and one of the articles features Sean Miller and Arizona basketball. I didn't write it myself, otherwise there'd be a connection to X in there, of course. (www.pac12sportswatch.com should be up by 3 PM.) The SportsWatch sites will cover college athletics exclusively, including men's and women's teams in all sports. In addition to owning the site and managing the content, I will also be contributing articles on occasion and writing a weekly column. (I've already figured out a way to reference Xavier twice.)

We are hosting a radio show every Saturday night on Fox affiliate 720 AM KDWN in Las Vegas called Jock Talk. We will have a "listen live" link on our Big 10 site. The founder is a former sports radio talk show host with ESPN in the West and will be one of the co-hosts of Jock Talk.

Opportunity: I posted an Internship opportunity in another thread that has already landed me two student journalists, and potentially two others.

2. I am the Director of Ident-a-Kid of Cincinnati and founder of the Cincinnati KinderGuard nonprofit company. We provide digital visitor tracking systems to schools and child rescue ID cards to parents. This year, we added digital cell phone IDs so parents can carry them on their mobile phones. Our partners include The Cincinnati Reds Community Fund, the Child Rescue Network, and we are searching for one key business partner in order to financially support the efforts of the charity. We sent a proposal to Cincinnati Bell last week as there is a natural alignment there. Every parent should be carrying a child ID card and/or digital eKid version. The response to a missing child crisis is delayed considerably without a current photo and critical data.

Opportunity: If the Cincinnati Bell proposal falls through, we will be seeking a fund-raising director for the charity. It will be a part-time, commission based job.

3. I am an independent agent for AssureTec Technologies:
    Assure-Alert: Top-of-the-line ID authentication device to be used by anyone at risk for credit card fraud, anyone who needs foolproof age verification, employers who are reviewing candidates for hire, or anyone who could be at risk for accepting a false ID (such as a car dealer, check-cashing site, etc.) I am trying to work with Cincinnati Public Schools as part of my affiliation with Cincinnati KinderGuard to equip each school with one of these scanning devices. Really, all schools should have one to prevent anyone from entering the building who is misrepresenting his or her actual identity.

Opportunity: A sub-contractor role has been approved by the corporation. Again, this would be part-time and commission based.

4. I am an independent agent for a restaurant marketing firm called Repeat Returns:
    Repeat Returns: Fully-integrated marketing system for restaurants, with a customer rewards program at the core. Quick and easy to set up a rewards program for your business, single or multiple locations, and we guarantee results in writing.

Opportunity: I don't know that I can take on a sub-contractor here, but I would be glad to offer compensation for connections that turn into clients.
    Last edited by Michigan Muskie; 03-08-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Forgot about radio show
    It's winning time.

I'll bet I'm the only on here, possibly the only Xavier Alum, who is a junk man.
    That's what I do, I haul of junk out of houses. Furniture, appliances, attic crap, stinking crap, garage crap, backyard crap. If it's crap, I'll haul it! Lots of what I do is through the real estate market, helping people getting their houses ready to show, or getting the extra cleared out when they are ready to close. Also just get calls from people doing some spring cleaning, whatever.
    I see them all, messy college roommates, eviction leftovers, people who seemingly disappeared and left all their stuff behind, also the hoarders, clean out lots of dead peoples stuff.
    The other half of our business is unloading all that stuff. My wife has a seasonal antique store up here, also sells on Ebay, and we take items to auction, and I do the occasional yard sale, though I'm getting too old for that.

I'm a communications grad from X, '90. Worked in the newsroom at 55WKRC for 5 years, then another 8 on the assignment desk for the 11 oclock news at channel 12. Got burnt out, put on my work clothes and changed careers.

As little as possible while I slink my way to retirement in 2....3.....4......5....errr.....years.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Trophy husband.
    I am working towards that.

I currently sell IT equipment to the Federal Government.

xu95

I keep Xavier students and Alumni comfortably numb.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens