Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Little-Time' Dayton, Big-Time Xavier

Just thought I'd bring this up to everyone because it was an interesting and hilarious topic my brother and I had on the way up to UD yesterday, about UD and somewhat UC as well. We always judge programs on who 'gets it' and understands; in translation being BIG TIME. Now I'm not even talking about UD's team here, just an off-topic insight on UD fans and the game outside the court yesterday.

Just another reason(s) Dayton's athletic programs are 'little time' and why I truly do not like this school:

1. Listening to UC's game on the way up 75 Dan Hoard was announcing UCONN's starting lineup on 700 yesterday. He said 'A player UC should have had 4 years ago, From the Bronx, Kemba Walker.' I laughed, as did my brother. My brother stated 'If you claim to be a big time program you don't have to say things such as that to defend yourselves.'

2. As Dan Hoard said that I promptly pulled out the parking pass we were so fortunate to receive for the game yesterday. LOT A, right next to the arena:
    a. It said GAME #20. Really? 20 home games already. If you were a big time school invested in basketball you would go out and play teams. Xavier has 17 homers altogether, 2 exhibition.
    b. I immediately noticed after that there is no reserved parking spots next to the arena. Free for all, general admission, 1st come 1st serve. Now I don't have a reserved spot at X, but if your parking lot is the main parking lot of the arena, right in front of the main entrance (big donors lot), don't you have numbered/reserved spots.

3. I then pull out the game tix in the parking lot and they are face down. My brother did his making fun of something laugh when he saw them. Stated, 'Are these tickets real? Is somebody playing a joke on us?' The back of these tickets were blank. I don't know if anyone else's tickets had anything on the back, but I've never been to an athletic event, including high school games, and not had something on the back of tickets. That's little time.

4. Seats are in the corner right by UD student section and in between the X bench, so I can hear it all. Yeah their enthusiasm is great, but talk about 0 class. Now it doesn't bother me and I didn't comment one time to the students, but man some of the comments were vulger. The disprespect during the national anthem was rather uncalled for, as well. That's a little time school. I don't care if you were drunk students.
    a. Also, students knew everything about every Xavier player. As did some of the fans. Now I consider myself a huge X fan, but I don't know squat about UD other than Chris Wright and now Chris Johnson because of his 2 games this year. Everyone up there talking about how good Wright is NBA bound is beyond my understanding as well, but that's not relevant.
    b. Sitting next to all of the UD students also made me realize how much they envy Xavier. My friend, a UD grad, absolutely loves UD; Very obnoxious how much he does. Sitting 4 feet away from the section made me realize how much they all adore X and are jealous of the basketball program. My friend knows everything about every Xavier player, from TU to Jay Canty. Has something to say about every player, and not good either, so he does hate X. But, I know nothing about UD players, as stated above. Another reason UD is little time.

I know I rambled on, but it was just funny and I could put it in more of a perspective yesterday as I sat next to the students and close to X's bench. I've been to about 12 X games at UD, but have never sat that close to the student section.

Rah Rah Rah UD your arena gets loud, we get it. It doesn't bother good teams really anymore. Yeah you'll get your big win here and there, but every school does that so often. (You've lost 4 games this year at home, including ETSU). Your program is LITTLE-TIME, in a little time city and at a little time, clueless fan-based school.

You forgot that nobody will play them there - too afraid. Any big time program sees what happened to Pitt and will absouletely not play there since they have no chance of winning.

I know you agree with me here, but even more reason for them to go on the road and play games; maybe build up a resume for the real tourney. Good, close losses at tough places look better than home wins over the likes of Mt St Mary's, Florida A&M, Western Carolina, etc. Yeah you schedule some of those, but not too many. Frankly they have 19 wins on their record, but aren't even being considered for the NCAA tourney. Means they are scared; not a BIG TIME program.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBask View Post
    I know you agree with me here, but even more reason for them to go on the road and play games; maybe build up a resume for the real tourney. Good, close losses at tough places look better than home wins over the likes of Mt St Mary's, Florida A&M, Western Carolina, etc. Yeah you schedule some of those, but not too many. Frankly they have 19 wins on their record, but aren't even being considered for the NCAA tourney. Means they are scared; not a BIG TIME program.
    Syracuse and UC did that this year. With UC's success this year, Mick will never schedule hard again. He's found his formula. Just watch.
    Balls of Steele!!

We're better than you, and we know it.
    Long Live the X.

Great post and thanks for the personal perspective.

I have no desire to research this, but consider that there are 67 BCS football schools, including ND. Now add in non-BCS schools having a strong basketball presence to go with their non-BCS football-based athletic department (e.g. you end up with teams like Memphis, Houston, UNLV, New Mexico, Utah State, etc., etc.) Now add in non-football marquee hoops programs with top flight facilities (e.g. Xavier).

The point: there are a lot of programs with big facilities, many of which are capable of packing and do pack in big crowds for basketball games.

UD simply is living in the 60's and 70's when it comes to believing that UD Arena provides some kind of mystical advantage to them.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    UD simply is living in the 60's and 70's when it comes to believing that UD Arena provides some kind of mystical advantage to them.
    ::CoughButlerCough::

I was going to correct this for you, but I said screw it.
    "The kid tried to jump with me and that was his first mistake."- postgame interview with Jamel McLean after defeating Wisconsin 60-49

Sophomore
    And people here claim we don't have a Dayton obsession or that they aren't a real rival.........

My friend and I had a moment where Darren Oliver was in the game, and we were like, "Who's this freakin guy?" All Major League like.

How do you actually get to know the Dayton players? They only play like three minutes at a time. If they score, they are immediately taken out.

It's weird.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD86 View Post
    And people here claim we don't have a Dayton obsession or that they aren't a real rival.........
    I agree. He should apologize for trying to make us all laugh. What a dick.
    Xavier university. Founded and still living in 1831.