Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Miller Having AZ Recruiting Fits-and-Starts

My son sent this article to me. I think it could be indicative of some of the recruiting barriers that west coast teams have generally and specifically AZ has experienced recently.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketba...e859dedd7.html

I am sure that Sean's lack of experience in the west doesn't help. That gap will probably lessen over time, but in the meantime, things could be subject to fits-and-starts in recruiting.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Junior
    Cry me a river...

Remarkable. I am completely dumbfounded as to Arizona's place in the basketball world.

Got to hand it to Miller. He is playing this perfectly. He has somehow managed to walk into a place where you can turn down Quinn Cook, and yet still feel slighted.

I tip my cap to him.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

West Coast talent is really down recently. Most guys with any talent go to Findlay Prep or Mater Dei and the rest is not what it used to be. Ben Howland recruited the east from his Pitt roots and thats why he won Final Fours.

The fact that the Pac 10 doesn't have a contract with ESPN has to hurt too

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Remarkable. I am completely dumbfounded as to Arizona's place in the basketball world.

Got to hand it to Miller. He is playing this perfectly. He has somehow managed to walk into a place where you can turn down Quinn Cook, and yet still feel slighted.

I tip my cap to him.
    Miller turned down Quinn Cook? I never heard that, but he went to Arizona because he felt it was a national program that could win national championships, so he shouldn't be complaining too much about which regions of this nation have more talent. I agree that at this point in time he is kind of having his cake and eating it too, because he has his team ranked in the top 10 in a year where the expectations were not quite that high, but that will all be different very soon. By next year, Miller will be expected to be running a top program and nobody will take any excuses seriously. Personally, I think he's up for the task.

Just another bitch like Mick Cronin. Shut up fat raccoon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    Cry me a river...
    ......And shut the "F" up.

For all of the "slights" they still convinced a bunch of bubbleheaded clowns to vote them 10th in the polls despite hardly beating anybody.

Yeah, that is some indication that no body gives them respect.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I imagine he's also upset about not being included in that new ESPN commercial with the coaches dancing. I would have that those making the commercial could've had some fun with the coughing or maybe the elbow play, head tapping, etc.

Can't wait to see AZ lose the first weekend of the tourney. And it's not even because of the Miller factor. I just hate seeing teams get so overrated. AZ has a weak schedule and there's no way they should be Top 10 in the country. Not a chance. Well, I guess time - and the tournament - will tell.

B... Bu...But... wait a minute!... I thought the reason one upgrades from a "Buick" type program to a "Lexus" type program is to get that national exposure and therefore put yourself in a realistic position to win National Championship?...

...Wait... What?... Really? Arizona only has 1 National Championship? And it was when they got rediculously hot as a 4 seed?... Wow, I didn't know that... And in their last 6 NCAA Tournament appearances, they have half the amount of victories as Xavier?... I bet their graduation rate is much higher than Xavier's though... Really? 4th worst in the NCAA?... I'll be darned...

...Really? Winning the Pac-10 carries as much esteem as an award for being the hottest stripper in Alaska? Maybe that's why they're the only BCS conference without a major TV affiliation; since no one wants to watch sloppy basketball!...

...Yea, I remember Damon Staudamire. He was the main reason the media re-named his team Portland "Jail-Blazers" right?... He's quite a villian in Portland these days, you know... Really, he came from Arizona? Wow... Didn't the Jailblazers get coined after that one guy left and the team slipped into complete chaos? Who was that guy? I remember he was both hard working and he is still adored by the Portland community... Oh yea! Brian Grant, that's right!...

...Yea, I agree... Damon Staudamire is a pot head dumbass... But not as big a dumbass as as that guy who brought a gun into his NBA lockerroom last year. What's his name? Oh yea! Gilbert Arenas!... He went to Arizona, too!... Wow!...

... Hearing all this really makes me wonder whether all that Sean Miller "Lexus/Buick" talk was just a fancy cover up for the fact that Arizona came up with $12million overnight in their hack search for their next head coach...
    Last edited by Blue Blooded-05; 02-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg