Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Maybe it would have been better for Jordan if he would have stayed. He would be a Junior, along with Holloway and Frease. Talk about a class.

He isn't playing in the NBA. It is better to be playing than not playing. He could have stayed and increased his draft stock. Imagine this team with Junior Jorday Crawford. He has to be thinking that too when watching the game. Looks to me like he went too soon and it will hurt his development as a player by not playing.
    Wrong. He is learning a lot more on that NBA bench then he ever could at Xavier. (or any other college for that matter)

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Wrong. He is learning a lot more on that NBA bench then he ever could at Xavier. (or any other college for that matter)
    Yeah, I'm not sure that's true. I don't think you get better sitting and watching. And it's not like he was so dominant at the college level that he wasn't going to be challenged. He had plenty left to learn at the college level.

I don't think there's a clear answer as to whether it was the right decision for him to go. But as long as he's happy, that's all that really matters.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure that's true. I don't think you get better sitting and watching. And it's not like he was so dominant at the college level that he wasn't going to be challenged. He had plenty left to learn at the college level.

I don't think there's a clear answer as to whether it was the right decision for him to go. But as long as he's happy, that's all that really matters.
    1- He get to practice and play against NBA players every day.
    2- He has NBA coaches that will tell him/teach him what he needs to work on in order to stay in the NBA.

I think its obvious you will learn more sitting on an NBA bench, going through practices and having NBA teachers then you will playing in the NCAA.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I'm sorry, but this makes zero sense.

He was drafted in the first round, and got guaranteed seven figures. It was his dream to play in the NBA, and his career is not quite a year old. I don't see how one could say that he left too soon. There's no guarantee that had he stuck around for this year that his stock would have been as high. Even if it was, the payout likely would not be much higher than what he got now. I don't agree that one more year in college would mean he'd likely get more play his rookie year in the pros. Crawford's a scorer. He left Xavier scoring a lot of points. He struck while the iron was hot, and and it paid off. Boy, did it pay off. He has plenty of time to become a big time player in the league, he just has to take his early lumps and continue to work at it.

Also, people incorrectly assume that once players get to the NBA, their development stops, and they'll continue to be the same player they were when they got drafted. There are so many examples to the contrary, it's almost not worth addressing. I mean, look no further than our own David West. He did nothing his first few years in the NBA before becoming an All-Star.
    This. While I would have loved for Jordan to stay, there isnt any doubt in my mind he made the right decision. With Jamal Crawford being a free agent after ther year, and the Hawks almost certainly wont be resigning him, Jordan should have more opportunity to play next year. Jordan was coming off the best stretch of games of his career, he left at the right time to take advantage of it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

1- He get to practice and play against NBA players every day.
    2- He has NBA coaches that will tell him/teach him what he needs to work on in order to stay in the NBA.

I think its obvious you will learn more sitting on an NBA bench, going through practices and having NBA teachers then you will playing in the NCAA.
    OK. I don't think you get better not playing.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    OK. I don't think you get better not playing.
    Touche, Id rather learn from an NBA coach then an NCAA coach- their is a reason they are in the NBA. Beating up on bad a-10 teams wont make you a better NBA player- practicing against NBA players on a daily basis will.

Touche, Id rather learn from an NBA coach then an NCAA coach- their is a reason they are in the NBA. Beating up on bad a-10 teams wont make you a better NBA player- practicing against NBA players on a daily basis will.
    As rigorous as the NBA schedule is I doubt that they do a lot of heavy scrimmaging once the season starts.

I agree that it was kind of a dumb question, but all JC had to say was this "No I don't regret the decision, but I miss my teammates, coaches, etc." He would've come off a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyMuskie View Post
    I agree that it was kind of a dumb question, but all JC had to say was this "No I don't regret the decision, but I miss my teammates, coaches, etc." He would've come off a lot better.
    Exactly. Instead he said "nahhhh" while slumped back in his seat. I didn't mean to bring up the whole NBA bs college debate. I just didn't like his attitude the entire interview. It was all just strange.
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.

I watch a lot of college basketball and the NBA.

It's amazing how quickly NBA rookies and sophomores improve their shots in the NBA. I talked to someone about this with some experience in the NBA. He told me that assistant coaches and trainers are very well qualified and the players have more time to practice.

Of course, that makes sense. NBA teams have bigger budgets and they want to get absolutely everything out of their expensive players.

But I think some college basketball fans don't appreciate that fully and believe incorrectly that college is a much better place to develop than the NBA.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 02-20-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."