Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Filled up my bug for that in the 60's
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    To be fair: It's pretty evident that most people don't understand how gas prices work either, based on the amount of folks I hear blaming the President for high gas prices. We don't have nationalized oil production, nor does the government set gas prices (nor should they), so they are limited in the scope of what they can do outside of things like a gas tax holiday and potentially taxing so-called windfall profits from oil companies. Which would certainly help.

High gas prices are a global problem so it seems relatively unlikely that the President of one country would be solely responsible. It's the same reason 'pumping more oil domestically' doesn't really achieve the desired objective. The oil that companies pump domestically doesn't necessarily stay in America. If oil is trading at $110 a barrel, those private corporations aren't going to sell it to domestic gas producers at $60 per barrel when they can sell it internationally for $110.

The United States is actually a/the leading producer of oil - neck and neck with Russia and Saudi Arabia. The thing is that the oil we pump isn't just for us, and it isn't pumped by the government. Private companies decide where it goes, and the market determines the price.

Republicans want people to believe that Joe Biden and the Democrats are responsible for high gas prices, and Joe Biden and the Democrats want you to believe that corporate greed is to blame for high gas prices. Both are leaving out a lot of important details, IMO.
    Um, wouldn't normally share this, but your post kind of prompts me to do it: we own oil wells in Texas. Why don't you take your post down to Houston and Dallas and meet with a few folks who have a direct interest in exploration and development to see what they say about the present economic climate for putting capital at risk in this sector. While you're at it, pop in and visit a few of the folks at the Texas Railroad Commission, more specifically their Oil and Gas Division, to hear their thoughts about all of this.

The spineless moron who currently serves as our President, who cannot even stay upright on a Schwinn Ten Speed Bicycle, is very much responsible for this particular mess.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Um, wouldn't normally share this, but your post kind of prompts me to do it: we own oil wells in Texas. Why don't you take your post down to Houston and Dallas and meet with a few folks who have a direct interest in exploration and development to see what they say about the present economic climate for putting capital at risk in this sector. While you're at it, pop in and visit a few of the folks at the Texas Railroad Commission, more specifically their Oil and Gas Division, to hear their thoughts about all of this.

The spineless moron who currently serves as our President, who cannot even stay upright on a Schwinn Ten Speed Bicycle, is very much responsible for this particular mess.
    It seems it’s at least partially related to the greater inflationary mess, which I will contend stems from printing trillions of dollars to hand out money to people who often didn’t need it at all. My son and his wife got thousands of dollars when they were earning more than they had ever made in their lives. They cashed the checks, but couldn’t understand why they were getting them.

Now, here’s the part that REALLY pisses me off: they justified the payments by saying they would tax the wealthy more to pay for the handouts. Like punishing successful people was a double bonus. They like to act like being successful means you are evil in some way. There was NO WAY they could tax us that much! The only way to give away free money (a/k/a buy votes) was to PRINT money. Who is surprised that lead to inflation in general?

Rant over, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    It seems it’s at least partially related to the greater inflationary mess, which I will contend stems from printing trillions of dollars to hand out money to people who often didn’t need it at all. My son and his wife got thousands of dollars when they were earning more than they had ever made in their lives. They cashed the checks, but couldn’t understand why they were getting them.

Now, here’s the part that REALLY pisses me off: they justified the payments by saying they would tax the wealthy more to pay for the handouts. Like punishing successful people was a double bonus. They like to act like being successful means you are evil in some way. There was NO WAY they could tax us that much! The only way to give away free money (a/k/a buy votes) was to PRINT money. Who is surprised that lead to inflation in general?

Rant over, for now.
    You’re right, it is a cause not an effect of the inflationary mess.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

And yet your kid and his Wife took the money. Or did they take the option to donate back to the treasury? Did anybody?
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    And yet your kid and his Wife took the money. Or did they take the option to donate back to the treasury? Did anybody?
    Did you write a check and send it in to “help the cause”? They never asked for the money. The clowns in Washington (who apparently missed Econ 101) just sent it to them.

Rant over, for now.
    Great point. Too much free money. A sledgehammer taken to energy independence. And the most embarrassing open border policy ever witnessed in modern society - how about that remarkable number of terrorists who have been arrested at the border YTD. No financial stress with that maneuver.

And that exit out of Afghanistan was just a remarkable piece of work, but that is a different topic and category of ineptitude.
    X A V I E R

Did you write a check and send it in to “help the cause”? They never asked for the money. The clowns in Washington (who apparently missed Econ 101) just sent it to them.
    No, i bought a new car. I just looked at it as a refund of overpaying taxes. Your kid is doing great and somebody sent him a windfall and he gladly spent it. Keep up the bitching. OH GOD help ME? My kis is successful but he took money from the government!!! So what.
    Colorado sending me another 1500 in August from overpaying state taxes (Tabor). I'll take it.
    2023 Sweet 16

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    No, i bought a new car. I just looked at it as a refund of overpaying taxes. Your kid is doing great and somebody sent him a windfall and he gladly spent it. Keep up the bitching. OH GOD help ME? My kis is successful but he took money from the government!!! So what.
    Colorado sending me another 1500 in August from overpaying state taxes (Tabor). I'll take it.
    ill take missing the point entirely for 500, Alex.

No 500 in Jeopardy genius.
    2023 Sweet 16