Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ONIONS! - Bill Raftery on Game Preparation

Nice interest piece on the meticulous preparation of Bill Raftery:

A Sportscaster's Secret Playbook

But this comment indicates it may have put together some time ago:

"On the bottom right corner, Mr. Raftery lists strategic moves that might beat this team. Against Xavier, lay off guard Mark Lyons and lure him into shooting three-pointers."

That would be fine by me. Lyons is shooting 50% from three his past ten games.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Junior
    Color me impressed by the work that Raftery does in preparation for every game.

Obviously, those were Raft's notes from before the XU/Minnesota NCAA game last year.

Cool, nonetheless.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    I definitely have more respect for Raftery after reading that article, but his style still rubs me the wrong way. Small doses only.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    I definitely have more respect for Raftery after reading that article, but his style still rubs me the wrong way. Small doses only.
    He's a little over-enthusiastic sometimes, huh?

In that regard, he's like Dick Vitale, if you took all of the "suck" out of Dick Vitale. (Vitale's enthusiasm about college basketball is really the only thing I like about him. It's clear he really loves the sport, even as he suckles at the teat of everyone and everything famous)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    He's a little over-enthusiastic sometimes, huh?

In that regard, he's like Dick Vitale, if you took all of the "suck" out of Dick Vitale. (Vitale's enthusiasm about college basketball is really the only thing I like about him. It's clear he really loves the sport, even as he suckles at the teat of everyone and everything famous)

Smileyy, Having dealt with Dickie V I can say there is much more to Dick than a surface scan. First, a lot of my reaction to him is from the view of a former sportswriter. That said, I have found him to be a front runner who really likes Xavier and has since the days of Pete Gillen. I never called him that he hasn't returned my call, no matter what. He always asks to be remembered to Sister Rose Ann Fleming, something that never ceases to amaze me.
    I got to know Dick when he brought his Detroit U. teams into Schmidt , long before Xavier was even considered NCAA tournament -competitive. Before I left the Post, for good (The summer Matta bailed and Sean took over) I often called and talked to Dick on various subjects in the sporting world, especially college and pro basketball, which he has more contacts than anyone I've ever met. He was never too busy to talk with a colleague as he used to call me. A very nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Obviously, those were Raft's notes from before the XU/Minnesota NCAA game last year.

Cool, nonetheless.
    Didn't Ian Eagle and Jim Spinarkle (sp?) call the Minnesota and Pitt games in Milwaukee last year? Come to think of it... When did Raftery call us in the past 2 years? The A10 semis?
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

Junior
    q -

I don't doubt it. I probably should have clarified the "suck" part -- he's just not a very good announcer for PBP or color. A good guy to have drop into the booth to add his excitement though. He really does love college basketball and the players, and all the hard work and success that they see.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    Didn't Ian Eagle and Jim Spinarkle (sp?) call the Minnesota and Pitt games in Milwaukee last year? Come to think of it... When did Raftery call us in the past 2 years? The A10 semis?
    Yep, you're right. I was at the games. I just don't know when he would have made those notes though. He never has a Xavier game except in the NCAA.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Yep, you're right. I was at the games. I just don't know when he would have made those notes though. He never has a Xavier game except in the NCAA.
    Kansas St. game or was the Gus Johnson?

The last one I remember off the top of my head was definitely the West Virginia game in the tourney.