Reminder: Re contacting recruits

We thought we'd bring everybody's attention to the following:

Please be aware that NO written, telephonic or in-person communication is permitted between a recruit and a booster of an NCAA institution regardless of the medium. Please note the following paragraph describing the NCAA rule governing this type of contact and clarifying that anyone who encourages a recruit to attend Xavier University is automatically considered a booster.

The NCAA rules which govern the actions that have been deemed impermissible in this instance are: NCAA Bylaw 13.01.4 prohibits a booster from “making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephonic communications with a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or legal guardians.” (this includes message boards, posting on myspace, facebook, and other such mediums).

Many claim that they are not a booster because they do not contribute financially to the University. However, NCAA Bylaw 13.02.13 states that one criteria defining someone as a booster is anyone “who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to be assisting in the recruitment of prospects.”

In short. Don't contact these guys via, twitter, FB, or any other social medium.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Thanks Muskie, I thought that was the case.

Muskie,
    Thanks for posting this ever-present reminder.

Folks, it's as simple as this... If you love Xavier basketball, then trust the coaching staff to do the recruiting on their own.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

I'm curious about this contact deal. In the recent blow-up between udpride and the blackburn review, the Meadows guy noted that he spent time watching (what I assume are potential high school recruits) guys at their games, and interviewing them.
    Is that not the sort of contact that is probibitied?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm curious about this contact deal. In the recent blow-up between udpride and the blackburn review, the Meadows guy noted that he spent time watching (what I assume are potential high school recruits) guys at their games, and interviewing them.
    Is that not the sort of contact that is probibitied?
    He "may be claiming" that he is a member of the media, and he is just interviewing the recruits and not encouraging them to go somewhere. If that sounds like a stretch it is probably because it is a stretch. Probably not a good idea.

Leave the recruiting to the coaches. The only way we should be involved in the recruitment of a student athlete is by making Cintas the best home court in college basketball.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    He "may be claiming" that he is a member of the media, and he is just interviewing the recruits and not encouraging them to go somewhere. If that sounds like a stretch it is probably because it is a stretch.
    Well, since he claims to have a full time job and only does it on his "own dime" than it's a real stretch.
    And if the "media" he belongs to is udpride, than that makes all of us reporters able to contact recruits.
    So I suggest we send Muskie, Madx, Amex, Xeus, Waggy and the Q out on the "media" circuit at once. Maybe they can get DSR to come back to us from Lousivlle.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

XU has recently updated their site with an excellent summary:

Recruiting rules
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Well, since he claims to have a full time job and only does it on his "own dime" than it's a real stretch.
    And if the "media" he belongs to is udpride, than that makes all of us reporters able to contact recruits.
    So I suggest we send Muskie, Madx, Amex, Xeus, Waggy and the Q out on the "media" circuit at once. Maybe they can get DSR to come back to us from Lousivlle.
    Two questions on that:
    1-can we afford the bill for the alcohol?
    2-do they have to wear Snuggies as proof they represent this message board?