Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lasser83

NBA's European expansion

As crazy as it sounds, it looks like the NBA might expand into Europe:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nal.expansion/

or here's the link.

As a big NBA fan, I love this. Europe and China can't get enough of basketball. While China would never work, expanding into Europe makes sense.

In contrast, the NFL brags about how they might start a team in Toronto and play another game in London. Lets face it: internationally, no one cares about football.

If they can play in Europe, they could play in China. Teams would probably play extended series in both locations. Chinas has Yao and Yi playing in the NBA too.

This would be awesome. Soccer has done it, so why not the NBA?

In my world, I would equate it to the way soccer plays things out. Champions league kind of thing. Hell, basketball is on its way to becoming the #1 international sport, so why not take advantage of it? I might just become an NBA fan if this happens.

What the NBA needs to do though is go to the established teams over there to make new teams. Get the leagues over there involved. None of this "starting from scratch" crap. Use the fanbase already there.
    Last edited by PM Thor; 02-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Lasser83
    PMthor, it doesn't sound like it would be liker soccer's current format in Europe (each country with a league and a European tourney).

It sounds like Stern wants teams in London, Rome, Madrid, Paris, and Berlin. And he wants those teams to be fully integrated into the NBA (like another conference).

I'd imagine this might piss off the teams already in the cities I mentioned. This sounds like it would be a nightmare to work out everything (especially with all the redtape in Europe).

But if Stern can pull it off, it would increase the fanbase of the NBA by a staggering amount.
    Last edited by Lasser83; 02-13-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Lasser, I would think that it would be a stepping stone for the NBA into Europe, meaning, I would really love it if every league in Europe would be willing to play in a "champions" league, with the NBA participating. That way, it would obviously upgrade every league and not so many high players would migrate to the NBA.

I would think this would be great for pro basketball internationally. Right now the NBA dominates. I don't like that. I want the rest of the world to play on...

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It would be interesting to say the least what would happen from a scheduling standpoint as far as international NBA games go. Just imagine a New York-London showdown taking place around 2:30 in the afternoon on the East Coast (or 11:30 for Los Angeles-London).

Sophomore
    Interesting - This week the English Premier League announced plans for every team to play 1 extra game in a foreign city. FIFA and some of the planned host countries are against the idea because they say it would ruin the development of the domestic soccer leagues.

An NBA expansion into Europe would do the same thing to the European leagues. Who would want to watch a Spanish league game when there is a full-fledged NBA team in Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by dc_x View Post
    Interesting - This week the English Premier League announced plans for every team to play 1 extra game in a foreign city. FIFA and some of the planned host countries are against the idea because they say it would ruin the development of the domestic soccer leagues.

An NBA expansion into Europe would do the same thing to the European leagues. Who would want to watch a Spanish league game when there is a full-fledged NBA team in Spain?
    Who would want to watch a full-fledged NBA game when there is a European basketball game on?

Quote Originally Posted by dc_x View Post

It's stupid for the NFL, the Premiership or any league to play league matches on another soil, meaning, crossing the Atlantic. The players don't want that added match either. I certainly hope it doesn't happen.

And I think most people say in Barcelona, will watch Barcelona play, rather then some NBA team in the same city. But who knows. Just because they stamp, NBA on it, doesn't mean people are going to flock to it.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

In fact... stamping NBA on it may push people away from it. Last time i checked... there was a huge difference between NBA style basketball versus the style most Euro Clubs use. I'm pretty sure the Euro clubs encourage jump shooting for instance.