or

Cabrini Green
    Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Saturday, December 7, 2002
    Five questions with Jamal Walker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamal Walker played guard for Xavier University under Pete Gillen from 1987-91 and is a member of the school's 1,000-point club.

It was Walker's 3-point shot from the corner that gave the Musketeers a 90-88 overtime victory over the University of Cincinnati in UC coach Bob Huggins' first Crosstown Shootout.

Now 33, Walker is the athletic director at Woodward High School. Summer-league basketball fans know him as the Deveroes Summer League public address announcer who provides humorous running commentary during the games and assigns nicknames to the players.

Walker took the time during Shootout week to answer five questions from Enquirer reporter Bill Koch.

Q: What do you remember from the shot that beat UC in the 1990 game?

A: That's one of my top five memories from playing at Xavier. I remember that they left me open. The scouting report must have been to leave me open.

Q: How did you prepare for the Crosstown Shootout when you were a player?

A: It's a big game, but it doesn't become a big game until you hit the court and you see the crowd. Pete Gillen had us prepared for anything, like it was pretty much a regular game. But when you got to the Gardens, it was a totally different atmosphere.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

2009–10 Xavier 83 Cincinnati 79 Cintas Center (2OT)
    2008–09 Xavier 76 Cincinnati 66 Fifth Third Arena
    2007–08 Xavier 64 Cincinnati 59 Cintas Center

2006–07 Cincinnati 67 Xavier 57 Fifth Third Arena
    2005–06 Xavier 73 Cincinnati 71 Cintas Center (OT)
    2004–05 Cincinnati 65 Xavier 54 Fifth Third Arena
    2003–04 Xavier 71 Cincinnati 69 Cintas Center
    2002–03 Xavier 50 Cincinnati 44 Fifth Third Arena

2001–02 Cincinnati 75 Xavier 55 Cintas Center
    2000–01 Xavier 69 Cincinnati 67 Fifth Third Arena
    1999-00 Xavier 66 Cincinnati 64 Cincinnati Gardens

1998–99 Cincinnati 87 Xavier 77 Fifth Third Arena
    1997–98 Xavier 88 Cincinnati 68 Cincinnati Gardens
    1996–97 Xavier 71 Cincinnati 69 Fifth Third Arena
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Summer-league basketball fans know him as the Deveroes Summer League public address announcer who provides humorous running commentary during the games and assigns nicknames to the players.
    I beg to differ, it is more like "provides annoying and distracting commentary often just screaming into the microphone".

I'm guessing this was from an archive and not recent, as Jamal is probably in his early 40's, but still a classic. If you ask Jamal or Michael Davenport, they will also tell you the key turnover by UC at the end of the game, actually went off Davenport. True story.

When Bob Huggins dies I will go on a road trip to piss on his grave.

ESCALATE THE HATE!
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Saturday, December 7, 2002
    Five questions with Jamal Walker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamal Walker played guard for Xavier University under Pete Gillen from 1987-91 and is a member of the school's 1,000-point club.

It was Walker's 3-point shot from the corner that gave the Musketeers a 90-88 overtime victory over the University of Cincinnati in UC coach Bob Huggins' first Crosstown Shootout.

Now 33, Walker is the athletic director at Woodward High School. Summer-league basketball fans know him as the Deveroes Summer League public address announcer who provides humorous running commentary during the games and assigns nicknames to the players.

Walker took the time during Shootout week to answer five questions from Enquirer reporter Bill Koch.

Q: What do you remember from the shot that beat UC in the 1990 game?

A: That's one of my top five memories from playing at Xavier. I remember that they left me open. The scouting report must have been to leave me open.

Q: How did you prepare for the Crosstown Shootout when you were a player?

A: It's a big game, but it doesn't become a big game until you hit the court and you see the crowd. Pete Gillen had us prepared for anything, like it was pretty much a regular game. But when you got to the Gardens, it was a totally different atmosphere.
    I read this yesterday while looking for a Jamal Walker picture for my avatar. Jamal's a beauty. My first favorite player growing up. I remember he could dunk, which really impressed me (and I think the crowd, because he was pretty short and could just barely do it). He also would get everybody going by standing outside the top of the key with the ball on his hip and circle his other finger in the air to get the offense going. To me, he was like a signature player and really defined the XU underdog spirit in those days. I'd pay 100 bucks for some old footage from those days.

OK, back to today. f-UC-k!
    76-53. It's history not footnoted. - wkrq59

Walk-On

I hate UC

That is all. Nothing more needs to be said. I'm tired of their talk and their boasting about championships in the early 1960s. I'm tired of how "good" they are because they play in the Big East.

We will win tonight, disappearing Dante will show up because he shows up when we least expect it.