Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by pickledpigsfeet View Post
    Check out Coeur d Alene Mines Corp (CDE). Its a mining company that's just recently brought a huge silver and gold mine up to full speed and the company overall has seemingly turned the corner over the last 3-6 months. More heavily involved in silver than gold but does both but the benefit of being silver heavy is that silver price fluctuations usually follow gold price fluctuations by at least a few months so it would appear that they will get the benefit of high gold prices now and high silver prices later. I've had it for about a year and plan to hold it for the foreseeable future.
    After the suggestion I did some research in this stock and a couple othe players in the silver market. I pulled the trigger on CDE at $24.61. I'm currently regretting not having also picked up some GPL.

The silver market is pretty interesting.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

One of my predictions for the future is that people will be keeping and repairing their cars more often instead of buying new ones. Investing in auto parts is a good idea. I also think cable companies will do well based on people staying at home more and wanting entertainment. Usually it's the last thing people want to cut from the entertainment budget.
    76-53. It's history not footnoted. - wkrq59

Buy Chinese Yuan.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Try some short term plays. Granted, I am only 20 and can afford to be very risky with my investments, but my portfolio will include up to 5 different stocks that I plan on holding for no more than a week at a time. It is a GREAT way to make money if you know what you're doing.

As far as long terms, credit isn't going anywhere and of course the super banks aren't going anywhere. C, BAC, and V would probably be safe bets. Also, look for Facebook and Groupon to issue their IPOs in early 2012, that would be an idea chance to catch some quick money off of name value pumps.

www.stockcharts.com

www.finviz.com
    "What exactly is a Jesuit?"

Quote Originally Posted by pizza delivery View Post
    One of my predictions for the future is that people will be keeping and repairing their cars more often instead of buying new ones. Investing in auto parts is a good idea. I also think cable companies will do well based on people staying at home more and wanting entertainment. Usually it's the last thing people want to cut from the entertainment budget.
    Agree and disagree on the cable company stock. I think that the logic regarding people staying home more is sound, however I would have some concerns regarding satellite and the proliferation of Internet TV and other alternative sources of programming. I think that competition may pick up in the television provider market, at least in the short term. I agree with the logic re: auto parts though.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyMuskie View Post
    I have a feeling that the gold bubble will burst sometime in the near future, so I'd be very careful with that stock.
    I was reading about someone, don't remember the name and it's not that important, who is buying gold like there's no tomorrow. Wondering if there's a possibility of a player big enough to be driving the price all by his lonesome. wasn't it a hunt that went big time into the tank 20 years ago in the silver market that way?

Quote Originally Posted by pizza delivery View Post
    One of my predictions for the future is that people will be keeping and repairing their cars more often instead of buying new ones. Investing in auto parts is a good idea.
    You may be onto something there. My wife and I are driving two ten year old cars. Our logic is that as long as the cost of monthly repairs (including inconvenience/loss of use) does not exceed the cost of a new car payment, we'll keep our old ones. Right now the cars both run well and we see no need for a shiny new toy.

There are rules against cornering the market in commodities. The rules are not always enforced perfectly but they are much more diligent in preventing people/organizations from driving commodity prices higher. Forcing them lower is more frequently over looked.

The exchanges have been raising margin requirements on many commodities to reduce the leverage that can be used to accumulate positions. For the most part China and India are driving demand for gold. The gold and silver markets still have huge upside. It will eventually be a bubble but we are not even close. The gains have been very gradual from an oversold level in 1999. Past peaks in gold resulted in a dow to gold ratio of about 2 to 1. This means it took about 2 ounces of gold to buy the dow index. I believe it was almost 1 to 1 at one point but I'm not 100% sure. Neither of these ratios will necessarily happen again or at least any time soon but it show how far we are from the most extreme gold values.

Bubbles always have the blow-off top, a time when the euphoria is so great that people begin to believe you can't lose in that particular investment. There are some that think that about gold, including me, but we are the fringe not the general public. The nasdaq/internet bubble had extreme excitement and a majority of middle class to upper middle class rushing into technology funds. Housing had people flipping properties for profits without doing anything but holding them for a few months. It also had people buying with no money down or even taking cash from the bank at closing.

Most people right now fear a potential bubble in gold and basically don't touch the sector unless their mutual fund owns some mining shares. I expect $5,000 gold but this value is subject to change based on market conditions. Should the price spike from current levels to $3,000 in 6 months to a year I'd reduce that target significantly. At a minimum the price will hit $2,500 within the next few years. Of course I'm always open to other views but that is the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    After the suggestion I did some research in this stock and a couple othe players in the silver market. I pulled the trigger on CDE at $24.61. I'm currently regretting not having also picked up some GPL.

The silver market is pretty interesting.
    Glad you took the advice. Did you see what CDE closed at today? $33.08!

Many of the junior miners have been on fire recently with daily moves near 10%. CDE is a good stock and has done well but I've also enjoyed moves in VGZ, RIC, UXG, MFN, AZK, etc. SLW should be a core silver holding.

The CEO of UXG recently added to his stake in the company along with a private placement. He has been exceptional at creating value and has a huge stake in the company. He was formerly CEO of GG.