Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock ideas.

if you're looking for something cheap to play with, SiriusXM has been a fun ride. I jumped in at $.31/share when people were saying it was going to be delisted, and now it's been hovering around $1.50. I think as the auto market recovers they'll continue to make gains with OEM on new cars, and they just re-upped Howard Stern.

I also got in early on Digital Globe, half of what is essentially a duopoly in the satellite imaging industry along with GeoEye. They develop, launch and manage the satellites that capture images for everything from Google Earth to the US Govt. I only see upside in the industry and they have made a fast rise to compete with GeoEye.

Being around 30, I personally like to just pack away in my 401k with fairly aggressive international and small-med cap stocks since I have a long time left. Then I like to just keep a few thousand a year for "play money" on stocks like the ones I mentioned that I just simply find interesting.

I agree on Ford (no coincidence in my screen name), wished I would've jumped in when it was at 5-6!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyMuskie View Post
    I have a feeling that the gold bubble will burst sometime in the near future, so I'd be very careful with that stock.
    Fair point, unless you can find a well balanced fund with a strong dividend yield:

GABELLI GLB GLD NAT RES & INCM

9% yield. I would not touch gold individually at this point, but I'm in this fund for the reasons stated.
    X A V I E R

Definitely max out your 401k and consider a Roth IRA as well.

As for stocks, I really don't have any specific ones, but look for ones that have a good dividend/cost ration.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyMuskie View Post
    I have a feeling that the gold bubble will burst sometime in the near future, so I'd be very careful with that stock.
    As I said, its a very silver heavy company with reserves of about 196 million ounces of silver and only 1.4 million ounces of gold (a 140 to 1 silver to gold ratio). If something happens with the gold market, the silver market will take time to trail it giving some time to get out. To each their own.

MOO or PAGG are agricultural ETFs. They each track different indexes (or indices if you prefer) but have close to the same stocks and weightings. They don't buy futures, just stocks related to agriculture. Prices have been going up because of prior droughts, and will likely continue due to the Australian flood and the ever-popular government subsidized and mandated ethanol production. Producers have already raised the prices they charge food companies (Kraft, Kellogg, General mills, etc) and are re-investing their higher earnings in new equipment and more fertilizer(potash). These ETFs profit from all three of these sectors.

Disclosure: I own MOO and I stocked up on coffee a couple weeks before the price went up 30%.
    No, I be concubining.

Quote Originally Posted by pickledpigsfeet View Post
    As I said, its a very silver heavy company with reserves of about 196 million ounces of silver and only 1.4 million ounces of gold (a 140 to 1 silver to gold ratio). If something happens with the gold market, the silver market will take time to trail it giving some time to get out. To each their own.
    Although it doesn't always trade as such, silver does have industrial uses (other than the dead film market) and is not just a store of value in inflationary times or a jewelry component. I was early on CDE and now it is up 43% since I sold. It has benefitted from improved management and new mines starting production as well as the rising price of silver.
    No, I be concubining.

Silver is used in practically everything. Silver has antibacterial properties and is used in hospitals for disinfecting purposes. It is used in practically all technology gadgets - ipods, cell phones, computers, etc.

There is a shortage of silver supply and there are few primary silver mines making it less likely that supply spikes as demand grows.

Silver is the one investment I'm most confident on for the medium and long-term. It has experienced a huge spike recently so a pullback wouldn't be shocking but it should double at a minimum over the next few years and likely quadruple.

If by long-term you mean 20 to 30 years then gold is another must own as are energy, grains, basic metals, etc. The US debt situation when including social security and medicare/medicaid is impossible to manage without increasing the money supply and decreasing the value of the currency. This bodes well for all commodities. Gold could become the world's reserve currency once again or it could be part of a basket of important currencies.

Gold is not in a bubble. It will probably go through another major sell-off before reaching new highs but it will go higher over the next decade. Commodity cycles tend to last 15 to 20 years and this cycle is only 10 years old. This cycle will likely last longer than the norm because of debt problems at every major economy. This increases the odds of currency wars and inflation.

The only other investment sectors I love for the long-term are biotech, nursing homes, defense, and cemetaries. Everything else will have moments of strong performance but won't go the duration.

Emerging Markets will have extreme volatility but they should also continue to do extremely well over the long-term.

Silver: CDE, GRS, PAAS, SSRI, HL, SLW, apmex.com
    Gold: KGC, AZK, UXG, MFN, RIC, AUY, apmex.com
    Uranium: DNN, CCJ (both must own)
    Biotech: ISIS, MYGN, BTX, a biotech fund
    Nat Gas: MWE
    Oil: PBR, CNQ
    Energy Servicers: CAM, RIG, ESV, BHI
    Desalination: CWCO
    Other Metals: SWC, PAL, FCX, REE, MCP, GGB
    Brazil Electric: CIG, CPL
    Agriculture: MOO, DBA, POT, MOS, SQM, AGU, CRESY

Some interesting ideas. I'm going to use some of these to focus my research.

Ford: I have some siri. Unfortunately, I bought around $0.60 per share... before the 1:10 split. It's the single biggest loser in my portfolio.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Don't take stock advice from madness31:

Quote Originally Posted by madness31 View Post
    What is wrong with economic collapse?
    And don't trust experts:

Why You Shouldn't Trust Wall Street's Top Stocks for 2011
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I stand by my question of what is wrong with economic collapse. If you allow an economy to collapse due to misallocation of capital you create opportunity for new businesses to be created. The new businesses will allocate capital responsibly and allow the economy to recover from a stable base. If you prop up failed businesses you have an unstable foundation and it is far more difficult to fully recover. Without a collapse the US will not achieve full employment for many decades if ever.

I forgot to list my favorite investment for the next decade and beyond, TBT. This investment increases in value as interest rates go higher. I expect another pullback before rates rise dramatically but rates will rise while the government struggles with debt. Rates should double at a minimum and a triple is quite likely. You can also write call options against the position to reduce risk but it will also limit profits.