Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock ideas.

Another miner I've been watching is KGC. They had been on the aquisition path during 2010 and the stock price has suffered. A similar occurance happened with GG when they made a large aquisition a few years ago. The stock sold off hard and stayed down for over 6 months (can't recall exact duration). Once the aquisition started to pay-off it quickly returned to old highs and beyond.

KGC is having issues with ore grades to go along with the merger complications but they have a huge ore base and higher grades are out in the future. The potential growth is big and the stock is testing key support today on heavy volume thus far in the day. Should this support hold it will be the time to take a position. Considering the run most miners have had I'll be jumping in today to take advantage of cheap gold reserves. Should the stock head lower I'll just wait for the story to unfold. If the stock suffers too much it could be an aquisition target by a large diversified miner or one of the 3 biggest gold miners. Most majors are looking for cheap ways to replenish reserves but KGC would be a huge aquisition and too big for most.

Call options are another great way to play this. Short-term options could work off a pop from support and long-term options should work as synergies are realized and ore grades improve. Improved operating results probably won't be significant until late 3rd or 4th quarter. Risk/reward is favorable on this gold miner but waiting for support to hold is the safest action to take. $15 is the long-term support level.

Here's a stock tip that can't go wrong. Track my portfolio and never buy what's in it currently. You'll never go wrong with that tactic!

Quote Originally Posted by pickledpigsfeet View Post
    Glad you took the advice. Did you see what CDE closed at today? $33.08!
    Make that $34.50. 40 percent gain in under 1 month. Crazy.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Futler View Post
    Try some short term plays. Granted, I am only 20 and can afford to be very risky with my investments, but my portfolio will include up to 5 different stocks that I plan on holding for no more than a week at a time. It is a GREAT way to make money if you know what you're doing.
    I'm going to give you some advice that you will most likely ignore, then learn the hard way.

You don't know what you're doing.

Obviously, I don't know you. I may well be wrong. When I was 20, I didn't know anyone with a portfolio. I'm just playing the odds here though, and I speak from experience.

And really, I'm not addressing this to you, Buck Futler, individually. I'm really responding to a generic 20 year old promoting day trading as a great way to make money.
    Last edited by Kahns Krazy; 03-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

I've been taking profits in some of my high flying silver and gold stocks after recent spikes. I've shifted some of that money to others that haven't had big moves but have been strong performers over the years as well as some that have underperformed.

The above goes against the advice of letting your winners run and cutting your losses short. To me mining companies are a bit different than many other businesses and losers can turn into big winners as long as the assets are there. Many external factors as well as bad management can create temporary mining issues but as long as the assets exist then a buyout becomes likely or the problems work themselves out. The successful players will be looking to aquire cheap assets. I use charting to look for support levels when picking up shares in underperformers such as KGC.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject of picking up gold and silver stocks lagging the market vs buying/holding those that are spiking?

If anyone else thinks about doing something similar I would suggest slowly exiting your winners and keeping a base level of exposure to those you really believe in. I will never fully sell out of UXG, at least not until the upward move in gold and silver is over.

Any thoughts on picking up stock trading on the pink sheets? Its been a great run in mining stocks.

Selling shares in my new ipo - Coffee Can National. You get a 33 oz. recycled Chock Full of Nuts can and a 6"x 6" plot of land in my backyard, guarded by pitbulls and our new Mgr. Snake Plissken. No limit on vertical depth (just like the mkt if no debt bill is passed). Other security measures are solicited.

Seems to be time to get back into gold/silver stocks and out of most of the rest. Avoid the financial industry at all costs. There will be another implosion within the next year, 2 max. The ripple effect obviously won't be good for most stocks but those shocks should be more temporary for most companies. Many financials will cease to exist, unless of course there is another bailout.

Seems as though they are up to their old tricks in the swaps market on PIIGS debt and Euro bank debt. Maybe they all hedge perfectly but it takes just one medium sized player to get the hedges wrong and the hole system comes down due to leverage. That is why the first bailout happened. If AIG was allowed to go under Goldman and the rest of the boys would have gone down in a domino effect.

Greece is bankrupt. The day of reckoning can be delayed but not avoided. Mathmatically the debt simply cannot be paid by the Greeks. You can't solve a debt problem with more debt. Never works and never will so additional loans only delay the inevitable.

The Fed of course is ready for more QE so get ready for another episode of commodity inflation. Buy gold/silver and energy to protect yourself from inflating prices. Wages certainly won't protect you. Broader stocks will probably rise with the QE but as soon as a government bankruptcy hits the market will take a dive. Gold might fall too, oil certainly will but should gold drop it will be the first to comeback and it might even soar on the news.

The stock market is easy to beat --- just find out what muskienick did and either do nothing or (even better) do the opposite.

If. however, you want some looses to reduce your tax burden in the throes of a particularly good year, I can guarantee that for you.

Banks will soon charge you to save cash:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...y-in-cash.html

Things have changed a little, when as a Banker, I used to seek big deposits - haha

At Coffee Can National, we have no such fee.

How will the Dow do tmrw after the downgrade?

Custody banks are a little different deal, though.