Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
    DC, I have no problem with Xavier wishing a Merry Christmas. In fact, I think it would would have been the best choice of words for a Jesuit institution. I just don't like the culture wars BS. It bogs us down in pointless debates; how many angels can dance on the head of a needle and what not. As a believer married to an atheist I know how ineffective it is. She gets more and more turned off to the faith every time some debate like this comes up. In her words--and I agree with the sentiment--we need to spend more time following Christ and less time making sure others notice how much we intend to do so.

You say we can not end hunger, I say why not? You say we can not solve poverty, I say we have a direct order from our Lord to make the attempt. We ARE a Christian school. We DO need to put Christ back in Christmas. But the way to do so is through Christ-like action, not inquisition-like words.
    This.

I thought this was a free country. Say "Merry Christmas" Dammit!??

I celebrate Christmas, I celebrate the Solstice, I celebrate the new year. Intolerance of Christian institutions that don't say Merry Christmas every time is just reverse Christian PC. There MUST be something more important to get fired up about.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Banned
    Anyone else just get their "Merry Christmas" video from XU starring the Blue Blob?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Anyone else just get their "Merry Christmas" video from XU starring the Blue Blob?
    Yep. Just got it.
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

yep got it too... maybe only alumni get "Merry Christmas"... everyone else gets Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie1000 View Post
    yep got it too... maybe only alumni get "Merry Christmas"... everyone else gets Happy Holidays.
    It all depends what list you are on. "Happy Holidays" came from XU Athletics, "Merry Christmas" came from the University.

My card said "Go to Hell".

Sophomore
    I posted Merry Kiss My Ass on the Butler and UD blogs...which I thought is better than Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    Look, if we don't stop this war on Christmas it will only get worse. Look at our school! Happy Holidays! That's what terrorists say. And yes I stole that line from 30 Rock, but it's true. Left winged Anti-Christian terrorists say Happy Holidays.

How lazy can you get? You can't take the time to say Merry Christmas? Or Happy Solemnity of Mary? Happy New Year? Are you kidding me? Do you walk around with a goat head on a stick praying to statues?

We need to draw a line in this war. And it should start with Xavier.

It's Merry Christmas. Happy Solemnity of Mary. Holy Days of Obligation in our Church, for our Faith for our past and for our future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
    Thing is, some of us don't think there needs to be a war. It just seems so over the top and contrived. Want to fight a "war" on behalf of Christ? Then let's feed the poor, tend to the sick and comfort the afflicted. If that is the war you want to fight I am more than happy to enlist. But if it is a war to promote the phony-baloney "christianity" of so many throughout the ages then I want no part.
    Let us stop the bickering on the 3rd day before Christmas and focus on something that we all are thankful for and can appreciate

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The Onion would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and to remind you all that Santa is watching:

The Onion - 12/13/2006 "Ho ho ho - I saw you masturbating!"