Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    My deal old grandma used to herself all slopped up on some rott gut called PM Deluxe. She used to make pitchers of manhattans with it when we had big family get togethers.

It tasted like crap but it might be the fountain of youth as she lived to be 93 on a diet of PM Delux, Entemanns cookies and Viceroys
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Excellent thread!

Two of my favorites:

and

I'll be drinking a couple of pours of EC12 tonight during the Butler game.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    There's already a Scotch thread...

In all seriousness though, I enjoy a nice bourbon from time to time as well. I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve in my liquor cabinet right now that is not too bad. I always like Woodford reserve and Knob creek as well. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty good also.

I haven't really tried any of the more 'boutique' bourbons yet. I will have to make a point to do so soon.
    Scotch is a nice used barrel whiskey...........:D

I drink a little scotch from time to time only when bourbon is not available on a flight as I'm not a fan of TN moonshine errr whiskey. I'd love to have a great aged scotch but I can't bring myself to spend top dollar on anything other then pure...Ky..bourbon.

Did I mention I'm a Ky native? :D
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Excellent thread!

Two of my favorites:

and

I'll be drinking a couple of pours of EC12 tonight during the Butler game.
    You have excellent taste. I too am enjoying a generous pour after tonights glorious triumph.....work is going to be a bumpy adventure tomorrow.

Does the United States have an official drink?? If not, it should definitely be bourbon! Bourbon is one thing you can count on that will never have its manufacturing out-sourced to another country. If you should ever pick up a bottle of bourbon and find "made in China" stamped on it, the apocalypse is right around the corner.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    Does the United States have an official drink?? ...
    As close as it comes. Its the official spirit.

On August 2, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution sponsored by Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) officially declaring September 2007 "National Bourbon Heritage Month", marking the history of bourbon whiskey.[16] Notably, the resolution claims that Congress declared bourbon to be "America's Native Spirit" in its 1964 resolution.[16] The 1964 resolution, however, does not contain such a statement per se; it only declares that bourbon is a distinctive product identifiable with the United States in the same way that Scotch is identifiable with Scotland.[13] The resolution has been passed each year since.

Loving reading this post. I have my favorite brands (one in particular) but rather than focus on brands I try to focus on flavors. I like the spiciness of a bourbon that has a mash bill high in rye content. Nothing sweet that one gets from bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. I avoid those that are too burnt, because they use a char in the barrel that burns into the "red line". Definitely don't like those that smell/taste too much like corn.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Old Crow! how about this:

But it's good for bee stings!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post

On August 2, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution sponsored by Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) officially declaring September 2007 "National Bourbon Heritage Month", marking the history of bourbon whiskey.[16] Notably, the resolution claims that Congress declared bourbon to be "America's Native Spirit" in its 1964 resolution.[16] The 1964 resolution, however, does not contain such a statement per se; it only declares that bourbon is a distinctive product identifiable with the United States in the same way that Scotch is identifiable with Scotland.[13] The resolution has been passed each year since.

Loving reading this post. I have my favorite brands (one in particular) but rather than focus on brands I try to focus on flavors. I like the spiciness of a bourbon that has a mash bill high in rye content. Nothing sweet that one gets from bourbons that use wheat instead of rye. I avoid those that are too burnt, because they use a char in the barrel that burns into the "red line". Definitely don't like those that smell/taste too much like corn.
    Bourbonman is a good friend of mine and shows wisdom in lots of areas. But, trust me when I tell you, if you want to know anything, I mean ANYTHING about bourbon, past, present or future, listen to bourbonman. The man knows like no other when he speaks on this topic. In fact, he lives it!
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    You aren't exactly suffering with Woodford and Blanton's.

I have Knob Creek on the bar presently.

So a little more detail on Four Roses and perhaps it's off to ABC Liquors with me.
    4 roses is a really nice pour. It was bought by Seagrams in the 50's and was export only until 2004 and was only sold in Ky until '07. Now it is in 40+ states. I was skeptical when the wife kicked off the tour there but, I hate to admit that she was right and that it was/is a great place (much better than our Woodford experience). As to taste I would describe it as a little smoother than Maker's and a little harsher than Woodford.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post

I'm impressed. I truly am impressed. I enjoy listening to or reading about people who really know what they're talking about, be it professionally or about an avocation or both. As vee noted, you obviously know and enjoy this topic.
    X A V I E R