Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I will always be a Maker's guy. Going to school in Kentucky in the 80's will do that to you. I know it's everywhere now but I still remember walking into Morton's in Vegas about 15 years ago and asking for a Maker's and the bartender looked at me like I was from outer space.

That being said, I also enjoy Woodford and Blanton's. A friend introduced me to Pappy's a while ago and it's very, very good. Probably the smoothest sipping whiskey I've ever had.

Really, though, is there a bad bourbon out there?

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post

Really, though, is there a bad bourbon out there?
    I submit this gem as my candidate. $15 a handle, nicht gut
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by ballyhoohoo View Post
    That's like drinking Busch Light. Get beer cold enough and it's fine. Mix bourbon with enough coke and a lot of ice and you're good to go. Maybe not the next morning, but who thinks that far ahead?

Now we are talking. I made a vow to only drink whiskey from lands that threw off British rule.

Currently in the AmX rotation:

Buffalo Trace - hand selected by the pros at Binny's, plus affordably priced.

Elmer T. Lee - well-balanced single-barrel.

Rowan's Creek - disappeared over Thanksgiving weekend.

If at a restaurant, a Baker's neat will do. If at a bar, Knob Creek on the rocks is just fine.

Booker's is great, but I find a little unpolished as the highest-priced of those small batch bourbons.

I may have to get to the bottom of a bottle of Four Roses next.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I'm hoping to get Pappy's or Blanton's for Christmas from the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by ballyhoohoo View Post
    $15 a bottle. That crap was like $7.50 when I was getting drunk on it in 1991.

I like Jack if I am mixing with Coke, I like Makers Mark in a Manhattan, and I like Four Roses if I am drinking straight.

xu95

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    As a native Kentuckian I feel that The Premier Whiskey needed its own home.

Let's face it, the other "whiskeys" are just moonshine puked out of USED bourbon casks.

That said, what is everyone's favorite bourbon? I was a Woodford gent but the special lady took me on the bourbon trail for my birthday and I discovered Four Roses and have yet to put it down. However, I still love a good Blanton's with minimal ice cubes when I venture out of the house.
    There's already a Scotch thread...

In all seriousness though, I enjoy a nice bourbon from time to time as well. I have a bottle of Russell's Reserve in my liquor cabinet right now that is not too bad. I always like Woodford reserve and Knob creek as well. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is pretty good also.

I haven't really tried any of the more 'boutique' bourbons yet. I will have to make a point to do so soon.
    Eat Donuts!

Mark me down for 1792

Woodford Reserve won a blind taste test at our place a few years ago but that test didn't include Buffalo Trace, our current favorite. (Knpb Creek did come in second place behind WR in the taste test.)

We drink Makers neat when we're out since few drinking establishments we go to serve Buffalo Trace.

Old Crow! how about this:

X A V I E R