Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    It is sold here, just impossible to find. Even the bars that have it have started marking it way up.
    That's better than watering it down.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Re- reading this thread yesterday caused me to make a lunch time tour of NKY liquor stores looking for Blantons. No luck but did pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace to try. Should be the perfect weekend for a few drinks.

Blanton's is in stock here most everywhere around central Indianapolis (just saw a whole shelf full one week ago). Might be worth the drive if you're pining away for some.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterX View Post
    Re- reading this thread yesterday caused me to make a lunch time tour of NKY liquor stores looking for Blantons. No luck but did pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace to try. Should be the perfect weekend for a few drinks.
    Buffalo Trace and Solerno make for a tasty Old Fashioned.

Sophomore
    Thanks for the heads up Muskie, sounds like a road trip may be in order soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Was in one of 12 Michelin restaurants in the country last night. Lady didn't know what bourbon was, but mid way through the meal, came back to the table with half a bottle of Jim Beam.
    I can only assume Bourbonman came through Dingle at some point.
    I haven’t been to Dingle Peninsula yet. Have done both Kerry and Berra peninsila’s, the 2 just south of Dingle. Dingle is a future adventure.

Also saw comments on this thread about Jack as well as Jim on this post. Those two along with Makers have been the staples over time on the international scene until the recent bourbon craze that’s barely a decade old. Just got back from 3 weeks over there and saw those three consistently and now complemented with Woodford as well as some Bulliet and few other upstarts. But as stated on the thread loads of Irish and Scotch as one would expect.

Had a chance to visit several distilleries (Scotland & Ireland)and if anyone ever has the chance it’s really cool to observe the differences on how various whiskies are made and why. Even stayed on property at one, so peaceful at night far removed from any town and enjoy the aromas of a distillery. Had palette fatigue and solved that by visiting a couple of breweries. I recommend this as well, but try to go to some small ones so you can get more of a production POV and not a commercial tour that you can get on line.

Lastly, also saw comment about different bourbons being made at Buffalo Trace (formerly know as Old Frankfort Distillery, Ancient Age, among others). This is common place in the industry. The only 3 major bourbon distilleries (that I’m aware of) that make exclusively one bourbon mash bill for one brand at their distilleries are Woodford Resevre, Makers Mark and Old Forester. (Jack’s is unique too, but as pointed out in the thread it’s not a bourbon.) A key question is how many unique mash bills are used in the multiple brands. Of course, even using the same mash bill, differentiations can and will occur in maturation etc.

Fun topic, and I was blessed to get a 4 decade career out of it. I’m confident a few professors from the mid-‘70’s would be shocked I could get a job much less hold it for 4 decades.

Cheers and GO X.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonman View Post
    I haven’t been to Dingle Peninsula yet. Have done both Kerry and Berra peninsila’s, the 2 just south of Dingle. Dingle is a future adventure.
    You gotta do it. Stay at Heaton's in Dingle; you can walk to town, and there is a distillery about 2 blocks away.
    Do the Slea Head drive around the peninsula, part of the Wild Atlantic Way.
    Eat at the Chart House on the harbor...they had the Beam.

God's country.

Bourbonman, just saw where 45,000 barrels of Beam went up in smoke.

Is that your company?

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Bourbonman, just saw where 45,000 barrels of Beam went up in smoke.

Is that your company?
    Heard on the radio that the financial hit to Beam may be $50mill (or more). Ouch........darn lightning!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by murray87 View Post
    Heard on the radio that the financial hit to Beam may be $50mill (or more). Ouch........darn lightning!
    That's before the Kentucky Department of Environmental Protection and the EPA get at them. This thing seems to be causing a bit of an environmental disaster in Kentucky's rivers.