Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Xavier Tuition

Xavier Tuition

My wife and I were cleaning out some boxes in the basement today and came across the Xavier catalog from 1978-1979. Full time tuition for a semester was $1,200. Room was $350 for Brockman and $365 for everywhere else. Board was $415 or $440 depending on the meal plan. At the high end, that’s $2,005 for a semester. Factoring in inflation from this website, https://www.usinflationcalculator.com, that’s $9,352 in today’s dollars.

Tuition today is $23,948. Room is $3,760 for Kuhlman. Board is $3,350. That’s a total of $31,058. I’m sure other universities have similar numbers. Can any of them really justify the increase? This is a bubble that has to burst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

$62k per year? Lol. Not that my kids are really interested, but there's no way I'd pay even half of that for Xavier. If my kid got full tuition, I might kick in for room and board. Too many good (or at least good enough) state schools that are so much cheaper.

Seriously, there are people writing two $31k checks per year to send their kids to...Xavier?!? That's crazy.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    My wife and I were cleaning out some boxes in the basement today and came across the Xavier catalog from 1978-1979. Full time tuition for a semester was $1,200. Room was $350 for Brockman and $365 for everywhere else. Board was $415 or $440 depending on the meal plan. At the high end, that’s $2,005 for a semester. Factoring in inflation from this website, https://www.usinflationcalculator.com, that’s $9,352 in today’s dollars.

Tuition today is $23,948. Room is $3,760 for Kuhlman. Board is $3,350. That’s a total of $31,058. I’m sure other universities have similar numbers. Can any of them really justify the increase? This is a bubble that has to burst.

You'd think something has to give. (At least hoping so by the time my 4 kids get to college!)

But as long as everyone who wants it has access to unlimited student loans, schools will take advantage and charge accordingly.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I saw somewhere in a past alumni news magazine that 100% of the incoming students that year had received some kind of financial aid. Combine that with the huge push to take on student loans, and you get inflated tuition costs being acceptable, or at least tolerated, by many. In addition the race to make college campuses like resorts, with fancy dining halls, luxury (compared to what we had) dorms, huge recreation facilities, and the like has vastly increased the expenses for many schools across the country. Some of the tuition rise is justified just because of inflation over the years, but much of it is of their own making too.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I saw somewhere in a past alumni news magazine that 100% of the incoming students that year had received some kind of financial aid. Combine that with the huge push to take on student loans, and you get inflated tuition costs being acceptable, or at least tolerated, by many. In addition the race to make college campuses like resorts, with fancy dining halls, luxury (compared to what we had) dorms, huge recreation facilities, and the like has vastly increased the expenses for many schools across the country. Some of the tuition rise is justified just because of inflation over the years, but much of it is of their own making too.
    Yep. If it weren’t for easy to get student loans, tuition would have never increased at a rate almost triple inflation. I’ve read that medical costs and college tuitions have increased more than pretty much anything else over the last 20-30 years.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

If you believe the Democrats there will be “Free college tuition for All!!”
    Oh, that’s only for public colleges.
    Never mind…
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Colleges, especially private schools operate much like department stores like Kohls. Kohls usually prices items ridiculously. If someone buys their items at full price good for Kohls. But almost everyone who goes there, waits for a sale, and buys at the discounted sale price. X may charge $60k, but most pay $50-40-30k. Probably $45k would be my guess. Still, that is a staggering amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    $62k per year? Lol. Not that my kids are really interested, but there's no way I'd pay even half of that for Xavier. If my kid got full tuition, I might kick in for room and board. Too many good (or at least good enough) state schools that are so much cheaper.

Seriously, there are people writing two $31k checks per year to send their kids to...Xavier?!? That's crazy.
    State schools aren't really any cheaper. They are usually more expense after all is said and done. Miami, OU, OSU, UC all have lower tuition in theory but give little to no financial aid, whereas Xavier will give 30k plus a year in financial aid. When I went to Xavier is was my cheapest option against mostly all state schools. You can go to Wright State and end up in way more debt than going to Xavier.

Another interesting thing in the catalog was the class schedule. Classes didn’t start until Wednesday, Sept. 6 and ended Friday, Dec. 22. Second semester started Wednesday, Jan. 17 and ended Friday, May 11.

They start in mid August now, don’t they? Not sure about the 2nd semester.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Another interesting thing in the catalog was the class schedule. Classes didn’t start until Wednesday, Sept. 6 and ended Friday, Dec. 22. Second semester started Wednesday, Jan. 17 and ended Friday, May 11.

They start in mid August now, don’t they? Not sure about the 2nd semester.

Year end must have changed. I graduated in 72 and pretty sure we got out the week before Memorial Day, around the 25th of May.