Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Watch the video that Jimmy posted the link to. This kid looks to have some skills. Has a nice shot for a big man, some decent moves, appears to have good hands, etc. One thing that didn't stand out was him attacking for rebounds or to score. It might just be difficult to see on a short video clip, but I didn't notice him attacking. He might have that side to his game, but I didn't notice it. Of course I watched during lunch at work so it wasn't like I was locked on the video either!

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I'm from St.Louis and the highlight clip showed the names of the High Schools, and I've never heard of eitehr of them.

Might be a Brad Redford scenario where he's just dominating at a very low level of competition.

35 rebounds is just so out of the question. Thats not positioning or having good hands. That being 8 inches taller than everyone.
    I've seen Porter play several times and can tell you he's the real deal. While I doubt many people would know the Dadeville team in that video (small town in SW Missouri), I'm suprised you aren't familiar with Sikeston (2 hours south of St. Louis). They've been a perennial Class 4 contender the last 5 years, just have had bad luck running into eventual state champs Notre Dame and St. Francis Borgia. They were ranked #2 nearly all year last season before losing to Borgia in the quarterfinals.

Going back to Porter, he's from a small school called Scott County Central (around 100 kids grades 9-12) but from a tradition rich program (14 state titles). While they are small, the only time they play schools their size is during the playoffs. They play in several shootouts and large tournaments in the Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee area with their schedule consisting of mostly Class 4 and 5 (largest class in Missouri). While Porter's numbers may seem gaudy, they are accurate. That 35 rebound game was in the state finals, where stats are kept by official scorers for media/record purposes. I saw him matchup against Dallas Lincoln's Lebryan Nash at the beginning of the high school season and go for 15pts and 15rbs despite playing in foul trouble most of the game. The next night he had 30 and 15 on West Memphis (who was the Class 6 runnerup in Arkansas last year).

The thing about him is he has such a high motor and great body control. He's not going out muscle you or jump over you, but is always active and gets in the right position whether its crashing the boards or working on offense. His skill set is very high for a player his size. He handles the ball well, finishes well with either hand around the rim, shoots very well in that 15-18ft range, and can defend in the open floor. Eric Bossi from Rivals has compared him to Anthony Davis (top 10 in 2011) in his frame and skill set. The thing that has hurt (or helped depending on your view of summer ball) is that Porter has not been allowed to play AAU. His dad was a heckuva player himself, but would rather have him working on his own during the summers than traveling around the country for showcases.

From what I've heard Mizzou is after him the hardest, along with Memphis, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Ole Miss, SLU, and Xavier.

Otto is a palindrome...just FYI

Gonna be tough to get him out of Mizzou/Big 12-2 country...

You never know though
    Live Action

Wonder if he ran into any of the Pro Xavier players that just came in town yesterday....Derrick Brown, Jordan Crawford, etc.
    Balls of Steele!!

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    Otto is a palindrome...just FYI
    It'd be more impressive if his name were Retro P Porter

Sounds like Dad being able to see son play is an issue. Very involved.....I dont think he's going more than a 2 hour drive away from home, unless Xavier had something to offer that Mizzou and Illinois dont.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Is X even involved with Porter anymore? Kid had a triple double in 3 quarters. 31 points, 11 rebounds, 11 steals....he's 6'8. Wow. Granted the team he's playing this game is pretty bad, but he seemingly puts up ridiculous numbers every game

He just got invited to the Jordan Brand Classic

http://www.highschoolsports.net/loca...es-in-on-Oran/

What I really like about him is that he didn't choose some underground hip-hop song that I've never heard of so I can't jam to his soundtrack...I almost started playing the Thunderstruck drinking game by myself during his highlight reel...THUNDER!!!!

Anywho, I also really liked that he doesn't need to dunk everytime he touches the ball to score, even though he is towering over all his competition. I appreciate a big man who can score around the basket without having to dunk. He has a nice touch around the rim, and uses the backboard to his advantage...however, I will admit that I do have a tendency to get frustrated with Kenny when he doesn't go up strong and just bring the backboard down on top of his defender, but I appreciate that Kenny can score using the backboard to his advantage!

I say we do anything and everything we can to get this guy, because it seems like Jordan Latham is having some serious growing pains when it comes to adjusting from the highschool game to the college game
    "I'm gonna make you feel pretty. I'm gonna dress you up in a little pink dress, with rosey red cheeks!" - Ken "Firehose" Akers

I mentioned him about a year ago. I think xavier tried but he will stay close to home.