Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Otto Porter, PF (Commit Other)

Ht:6'8"
    Wt:190 lbs
    Sikeston, Missouri
    Scott County Central

Being that there's a little talk about him in another thread, figured he could have his own.

I watched the YouTube video of him and he was pretty impressive. Of course most people do in highlight videos. One thing I really liked was when he was moving and would receive a pass 8-12 feet away from the rim. He would catch, immediately give a little jab step, then take a fadeaway. It's a nice move and one the kid has obviously worked on. It shows up a couple times on the clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    Ht:6'8"
    Wt:190 lbs
    Sikeston, Missouri
    Scott County Central

Being that there's a little talk about him in another thread, figured he could have his own.

I watched the YouTube video of him and he was pretty impressive. Of course most people do in highlight videos. One thing I really liked was when he was moving and would receive a pass 8-12 feet away from the rim. He would catch, immediately give a little jab step, then take a fadeaway. It's a nice move and one the kid has obviously worked on. It shows up a couple times on the clip.
    I might as well repost what I posted in the other thread...

I just heard about this guy. He's putting up video game type numbers (granted I'm sure the competition is pretty horrific). Very intriguing player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5HKn9r_HU

In the state final four, Porter averaged 31 points and 24.5 rebounds. He had 29 points and 35 rebounds in the Finals.

"He's OK with it," Porter said about his father's attitude about the record. "He was very impressed, happy for me. He just told me I have to keep working harder. He said you got 35, why didn't you get 40?"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Live Action

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes37 View Post
    I might as well repost what I posted in the other thread...
    I'm glad you reposted it. I thought about it, but was too lazy to actually go through the process!

Otto went for 31 points, 20 rebounds, and 8 steals against 6'6" Florida signee Casey Prather (#25 in Class of 2010 ESPN) in the Eiffel Tower Shootout

Otto finished with 21 points and 14 boards against St. Elizabeth in about 2-2.5 quarters. His team, the SCC Braves, won 96-46. Mizzou coach Mike Anderson was in attendance, as well as scouts from Purdue and Illinois.
    Live Action

So where do we stand with this kid? Is he interested in X? Never heard of him until now. Those numbers
    he put up are freakin' ridiculous. Sounds like a very intriguing player.

Talking

I seriously question the rebounding numbers, which are sometimes almost as subjective as the assist and steal numbers

I'm from St.Louis and the highlight clip showed the names of the High Schools, and I've never heard of eitehr of them.

Might be a Brad Redford scenario where he's just dominating at a very low level of competition.

35 rebounds is just so out of the question. Thats not positioning or having good hands. That being 8 inches taller than everyone.

Boys player of the year: Otto Porter

http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1623541.html

"However, it's not his height that makes him stand out. It's not even his 747-like wingspan that he calls arms. Otto Porter is the reason Otto Porter stands out. His tireless work ethic and his general personality has placed him towards the top of the Missouri recruiting ladder as one of the most sought after junior recruits.....He led the area with 28.2 points and 14.1 rebounds a game and was a vital part of the Braves' back-to-back Class 1 state championships."

I take it Class 1 is the smallest school division in Missouri?

"Porter scored a career-high 43 points against the Portageville Bulldogs in a 102-63 Braves win....A week later he torched the Charleston Bluejays for 33 points ....His biggest individual spectacle was performed on the biggest stage of the year. Porter grabbed a state record 35 rebounds in the Braves' 14th state title game against Pilot Grove at Mizzou Arena in Columbia. He surpassed his father, Otto Porter Sr., who set the same record with 25 rebounds in 1976.Porter also set the two-game record with a total of 49 rebounds. A record also held by his father"
    Live Action

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I'm from St.Louis and the highlight clip showed the names of the High Schools, and I've never heard of eitehr of them.

Might be a Brad Redford scenario where he's just dominating at a very low level of competition.

35 rebounds is just so out of the question. Thats not positioning or having good hands. That being 8 inches taller than everyone.
    Well he did put up 31, 20 and had 8 steals against against the Florida signee Casey Prather who is a top 40 kid in the 2010 class. It is almost unheard of for a guy to be a top 100 player without playing AAU ball. He's tall, fast, athletic and has skill. I love Brad but he can just shoot really well.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Well he did put up 31, 20 and had 8 steals against against the Florida signee Casey Prather who is a top 40 kid in the 2010 class. It is almost unheard of for a guy to be a top 100 player without playing AAU ball. He's tall, fast, athletic and has skill. I love Brad but he can just shoot really well.
    Duncan is the only one I can think of who was top 100 without being an AAU guy
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning