Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SixFig View Post
    I wonder if we don't go after kids too early. To use poker terminology we show our hand too early, albeit it is a good one. Sometimes we win but other times the high rollers of college hoops flash a better one. They say, "Xavier has a great arena and fan support and schedule, but we have a brand new downtown arena and a national TV contract and big conference exposure" and sweep a player off his feet.
    Ask Jim Calhoun and UConn how easy it was to come in and sweep Mark Lyons off his feet and away from Xavier. Relationships are huge in recruiting. Getting there early doesn't always mean you'll win the recruiting battle, but it doesn't hurt your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskied View Post
    I can’t think of many players I would have rather had, or wish I didn’t have wearing a Xavier uniform for the past several seasons.
    Kyle Lowery.

Beaknose squashed that one in favor of Odia.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Another possible player is Otto porter. He is a top 100 player out of Missouri who does not play AAu ball. Missouri has offered him but he will visit Xavier. He puts up monster numbers had a 30pt 30 rebound game last season. Will be a senior this year.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Another possible player is Otto porter. He is a top 100 player out of Missouri who does not play AAu ball. Missouri has offered him but he will visit Xavier. He puts up monster numbers had a 30pt 30 rebound game last season. Will be a senior this year.
    I just heard about this guy. He's putting up video game type numbers (granted I'm sure the competition is pretty horrific). Very intriguing player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5HKn9r_HU

In the state final four, Porter averaged 31 points and 24.5 rebounds. He had 29 points and 35 rebounds in the Finals.

"He's OK with it," Porter said about his father's attitude about the record. "He was very impressed, happy for me. He just told me I have to keep working harder. He said you got 35, why didn't you get 40?"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Last edited by JimmyTwoTimes37; 07-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Live Action

Sophomore
    Isn't it interesting how the lay of the land changes as the recruiting process progresses? The names change. Original prospects drop off or are dropped from the list. New prospects take their places.
    This is part of what makes following the recruiting process so interesting. Plus, it sure beats a blank during the off season!
    I am very confidant in this coaching staffs recruiting talent recognition, and their ability to land good players. Therefore, I will not be too disapointed if we don't land Jakarr Sampson, and I think X is sitting in a very good position with either Goff or Reynolds, and if not those two, there are others that will make good recruits.
    I think the key is we are getting more interest from the 4* types than we did in the past, and in my opinion, they are the key to building a final 4 program. Most of them are high quiality players, but just below the level of one or two and out. Thus, they tend to stay 4 years. This makes for a more cohesive and more mature team, both qualities that count during a NCAA Trny run.
    So, while this speculation is fun (I love it!), ultimately it boils down to how well the coaches do at recruiting the right kind of players for X and we have little or nothing to do with it.
    Goff? Sampson? Reynolds? Porter? Who?

GO MUSKIES!

Sophomore
    I'd rather have Reynolds than Goff. Hope he commits

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Gotta be there early.......and often.

It impresses a kid - and the parents too- when the coaches show up at almost every event. It indicates that they really care and that the kid is more than a commodity.
    Just to piggyback on this, look at the number of kids over the years who XU has recruited, missed out on initially, and then nabbed after a decommit or a transfer. That speaks to the depth and strength of the relationships our staff builds over a player's high school/AAU career.

Live Action

Sophomore
    Boom goes the dynamite. Reminds me of a shorter JaJuan Johnson from Purdue. He will be a good get :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP9rC4nf97E
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Yeah, he would work as the last 'ship for 2011!! Honestly, I really wanted Sampson at X. But I really don't think there's much of a difference between the two. Both should be outstanding players at the college level. So, if it's Reynolds grabbing the last spot, I'll be thrilled.