Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AJ Hammons (Commit Other)

6'11" C from Carmel, Indiana. We have offered him.

Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/gavarsity/ba...-Hammons-94068

Currently ranked 14th in ESPN's top 25 for class of 2012.

In Indy Star today: "IU is a good school," he said. "My mom went there and it has a good tradition. Ohio State has a great campus. I like Xavier a lot, too."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...s-pushing-hard

Sophomore
    It is gratifying to see we are in the hunt for a quality big man. I just lamented on the Jakar Sampson thread that we need to stock up a few guys bigger than 6'8". I hope Mack can land someone this size who is a quality player.
    Go Muskies!:)

I always thought we need big men as well but I am beginning to find that quick, athletic players who can shoot and drive the bucket are much better to have on the team. Jordan Crawford is a perfect example. I will take a smaller fellow with speed over a big man who needs work anyday. You can't teach speed.

Actually you can teach speed, through speed training. You can't teach height.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Actually you can teach speed, through speed training. You can't teach height.
    True, but only to an extent. Speed training can make someone a little faster, but it does not make up for a natural lack of speed.

Sophomore
    Actually, you need both speed and height. I wasn't saying we don't need players like Crawford, but even there, I'll take Crawford at 6'4" over an equally fast and talented player 6'2'. Get the point?
    Of course a great athlete at 6'7" or 6'8" is better than an average player who is taller, but you need all types to make a great team, and all other things being equal, I will take the taller athlete every time.
    GO MUSKIES!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Benxman View Post
    Actually, you need both speed and height. I wasn't saying we don't need players like Crawford, but even there, I'll take Crawford at 6'4" over an equally fast and talented player 6'2'. Get the point?
    Of course a great athlete at 6'7" or 6'8" is better than an average player who is taller, but you need all types to make a great team, and all other things being equal, I will take the taller athlete every time.
    GO MUSKIES!
    Athletes don't always equal success, you need guys who can actually play the game, and add an attribute to a team. Look at Dayton, all athletes, very little attributes other than rebounding the past couple years. Hammons would be a good get because of his size. Sure, speed could be a detriment, but not many guys in the A-10 are as big as he is; and skill can still come as he is in the 2012 class.

I love to get one of these guys - looks like we're in the mix

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hammons, DSR (or Gary Harris) and a PF if we don't grab one with the 3rd scholarship for 2011 (FYI - I view Sampson and Finney-Smith as SF).

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hammons, DSR (or Gary Harris) and a PF if we don't grab one with the 3rd scholarship for 2011 (FYI - I view Sampson and Finney-Smith as SF).
    I want DSR and Gary Harris.

Also, why do you see Sampson and DFS as SF? They are both 6'7" and play well around the basket. Also with guys like Canty and Martin (and Walsh), the three will have plenty of people to play already. I see either one as a 4 who could play the 3. Other than one of them, who else is going to play the 4? McKenzie and Robinson are the only ones if I am not mistaken once Taylor and McLean leave.
    Last edited by DoubleD86; 06-02-2010 at 02:34 PM.