New 2010 Rivals Rankings posted

http://rivals.yahoo.com/xavier/footb...ings/rank-1909

Justin Martin fell three spots from 83 to 86
    Jay Canty moved up eight spots from 130 to 122
    Jordan Latham fell from 121 to 130
    Griffin McKenzie fell from 115 to out of the rankings

Nothing surprising. I'm waiting for those '11 rankings. I wanna see where Finney-Smith and Sampson are.

I like those rankings for this reason - they show major college talent, but yet there is also a reasonable expectation that they will remain at X for the four full years. I know there is something to be said for a player talented enough to leave for the NBA early, but the Xavier business model of always having a core group of upperclassmen has worked well.

Think back to the 1980s when we had the likes of Ralph Lee and Jeff Jenkins. Who would have guessed then that one day I would be making comments about the Musketeers having players talented enough to possibly leave early for the NBA!

We could have received a commitment from Gilchrist and in the next rankings he would have dropped to about #85.

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    We could have received a commitment from Gilchrist and in the next rankings he would have dropped to about #85.
    His injury might have had something to do with that. No big deal though. After the top 15 its all a crapshoot on the next 100 or so. There are many top 100 players you have never heard of 3 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCoker View Post
    I like those rankings for this reason - they show major college talent, but yet there is also a reasonable expectation that they will remain at X for the four full years. I know there is something to be said for a player talented enough to leave for the NBA early, but the Xavier business model of always having a core group of upperclassmen has worked well.

Think back to the 1980s when we had the likes of Ralph Lee and Jeff Jenkins. Who would have guessed then that one day I would be making comments about the Musketeers having players talented enough to possibly leave early for the NBA!

Huh??

I would be happy to have another D Brown and JC. No disrespect to RL and JJ, but players of that caliber would see limited playing time with the teams of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Homer View Post
    Huh??

I would be happy to have another D Brown and JC. No disrespect to RL and JJ, but players of that caliber would see limited playing time with the teams of the last decade.
    I think that was Coker's point.

Junior
    Please no abbreviations. It makes it difficult for us newer fans who do not know every player in Xavier's history. I have a hard time picking up on abbreviations of our current players' names let alone those who played decades ago.

(for a second I thought RL and JJ were JaJuan Johnson and Ronnie Lott...)

Upon further consideration, only DFW (David Freaking West) can have his name abbreviated. This is because his name is holy. Yahweh must be replaced with the tetragrammaton, David Freaking West must be replaced with DFW.

If Jesus himself were a Xavier commit, he would never have risen at all (in the rankings)