Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Desmond Hubert

  1. #11
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reading, Ohio
    Posts
    421
    That is true, but as this program continues to grow, we NEED to add some legitimate players 6'10" or higher. One really good big man could take us to the promised land. The elite teams/programs, with few exceptions build around some true height. So, like I said, lets go get us a BIG man. A reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would be nice. ;)

  2. #12
    Writer wkrq59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colerain Twp.
    Posts
    2,717

    Talking

    The reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would have to be given a deep background check. Remember Wilt's boast that he had over 2,000 or was it 20,000 women. The young man would be welcome, though, but some of the departed blue noses at Xavier would spin in their graves engendering a Poltergeist 22.

  3. #13
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Benxman View Post
    That is true, but as this program continues to grow, we NEED to add some legitimate players 6'10" or higher. One really good big man could take us to the promised land. The elite teams/programs, with few exceptions build around some true height. So, like I said, lets go get us a BIG man. A reincarnation of Wilt Chamberlain would be nice. ;)
    Yeah I know. Butler only got to the Championship game because they had twin towers down low. How did I miss those dominating big guys when Xavier played them earlier in the year?

  4. #14
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yeah I know. Butler only got to the Championship game because they had twin towers down low. How did I miss those dominating big guys when Xavier played them earlier in the year?
    The problem isnt that X is not recruiting these kids, the problem is that there are few good ones worth recruiting. The ones that are good are scooped up by the Kansas/OSU/Duke/UNC/Texas/Uk's of the world.....We got lucky to land Kenny. The 7 footers that have been good since him are all in the upper eschelon schools....

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yeah I know. Butler only got to the Championship game because they had twin towers down low. How did I miss those dominating big guys when Xavier played them earlier in the year?
    I belive history is overwhelmingly in favor of Benxman's recipe for success.

  6. #16
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Harrison OH
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Homer View Post
    I belive history is overwhelmingly in favor of Benxman's recipe for success.
    so North Carolina with their 8 guys at 6'10 or taller made them a high quality team, yet they won the title with Hansbrough and Sean May who are both 6'9. Or how about that 7'8 guy that went to UNC-Asheville. Did he even make the tourney. When Ohio State made the final, they only had Oden on the inside. Florida only had Noah, who might be 6'11. The Fab 5 at Michigan had both Howard and Weber at 6'9.

    Just because some teams get most of the big guys doesn't make them successful. If you look at teams in the Sweet 16 this year, not many of them had extremely tall teams: Butler, K-State, X, West Virginia, Washington, Cornell, and Tennessee.

    It's much better to have a complete team over a very tall team. Sure it helps to have a seven footer, but that does not equate to success. How did Utah do with Andrew Bogut, Texas with LaMarcus Aldridge, or Stanford with the Lopez twins

    You can always find facts to support your argument, X has been very successful with guys 6'9 playing in the post; and if that's what is working, they will only continue to get players that fit the bill and get even better players as they continue this string of successful appearances in the NCAA tourney

  7. #17
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    3,150
    I'd rather have a 6'9 kid who can jump out of the gym than a 7 footer who can jump like me...

  8. #18
    Moderator ballyhoohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    I'm on a boat
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    I'd rather have a 6'9 kid who can jump out of the gym than a 7 footer who can jump like me...
    I would rather have a th 6'9 kids who plays like he is 7' over a kid who is 7' who plays like he is 6'9.
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

    BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

  9. #19
    Moderator MADXSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Finneytown
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by ballyhoohoo View Post
    I would rather have a th 6'9 kids who plays like he is 7' over a kid who is 7' who plays like he is 6'9.
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    I'd rather have a 6'9 kid who can jump out of the gym than a 7 footer who can jump like me...
    Agree with both of these statements.
    Fear the Mack!

  10. #20
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    182
    I want a seven footer who can rebound, hit free throws and play D and a 6'9 who can shoot three's, jump out of the gym, is coachable, plays great D, has handles, and passes like Nash.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •