Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    The amount of talent Calipari is able to load onto one team and manage is admirable, in my opinion, and while the guy is definitely shady, winning is winning, and that's what the fans want.
    My problem is that the NCAA punishes the wrong people, and in the wrong ways. No one cares that UMass' and Memphis' Final Fours were stricken from the records -- they still got to enjoy them.

    If, say, Memphis got to enjoy the fruits of an ineligible player for an entire season, then take away their next season in some form or another. Be it scholarships, postseason ban, or even a 1-year death penalty.

  2. #22
    Calipari is pretty great at the basketball part, the college part...not so much. I think he's too much of a coward to actually go win championships with real pros in the NBA, so he effectively runs a D-League team while everyone else is at least paying lip service to education. Calipari can eat a BOD.

  3. #23
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Calipari is pretty great at the basketball part, the college part...not so much. I think he's too much of a coward to actually go win championships with real pros in the NBA, so he effectively runs a D-League team while everyone else is at least paying lip service to education. Calipari can eat a BOD.
    Maybe I am mistaken, but didn't Calipari make the jump to the NBA already? How can one be too much of a coward to do something he already did? Also, how easy is it to sling crap at someone by accusing him of being a coward for not giving up what they enjoy and are good at? He is a coward because he is happy where he is and enjoys what he is doing? Is Coach K also a coward? Or Self? Roy? None of them have even tried to go to the NBA, yet Calipari is the coward?

    I understand the hate for Calipari, and I also hate Calipari, but some of these comments don't make sense. For the person who posted his tweet and got upset about it, what is he supposed to say? "Damn, 5 guys from my team are entering NBA and I am losing 8-10 players. Well, no need to go get more players for next year's roster, let's just play with what we have."

    Hate the man all you want, but let's be reasonable in what we find "insulting" or "cowardly" in his actions. He gives us plenty to hate without making up things.

  4. #24
    Moderator SixFig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD86 View Post

    I understand the hate for Calipari, and I also hate Calipari, but some of these comments don't make sense. For the person who posted his tweet and got upset about it, what is he supposed to say? "Damn, 5 guys from my team are entering NBA and I am losing 8-10 players. Well, no need to go get more players for next year's roster, let's just play with what we have."
    I see what you are saying, but it just isn't right to be able to reload your entire team every year. In his tweet he is just so damn cavalier about it "Yeah I brought in a NBADL team and lost it but now at the last minute I'm just gonna stock up with one and done's no problem. I have no respect for the education my players are supposed to get...it's all about stocking the roster with talent"

    My blood is boiling just thinking about the guy

  5. #25
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,700
    Whether it's politically correct to say or not, in my mind, there is no doubt that at the highest level of revenue NCAA Divison 1 sports, winning is everything, and in a lot of cases, academics do take a clear backseat. We all know it, so why not just accept it?

  6. #26
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    12,975
    The point is the guy has TWO first al fours vacated at TWO different schools yet he faces no consequences personally. He is a scumbag who surronds himself and his programs around shady people. I am not a Bob Knight fan but when he called out Cal early in the seasonit was great.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  7. #27
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    The point is the guy has TWO first al fours vacated at TWO different schools yet he faces no consequences personally. He is a scumbag who surronds himself and his programs around shady people. I am not a Bob Knight fan but when he called out Cal early in the seasonit was great.
    Oh I'm not saying he isn't a snake, that much is obvious. But that doesn't mean every move he makes is cheap, and it sounds like Kanter is eligible thanks to a new, sensible rule, and he would be eligible whether he was going to play for UK or EKU.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD86 View Post
    Maybe I am mistaken, but didn't Calipari make the jump to the NBA already? How can one be too much of a coward to do something he already did?.
    He went to the NBA and failed. That's the point. He prefers to coach at a lower level and take advantage of the system to obtain an advantage over his competitors, the vast majority of whom operate at a disadvantage because they care (to varying degrees) about academics.

    Unlike Cal, Self and Krzyzewski actually run basketball programs. They don't get caught cheating, they don't travel the country one step ahead of the NCAA investigators. They are college coaches, not NBA wannabes hiding out in the college game because they couldn't hack it in the pros.

    [I'm not 100% serious here, by the way.]

  9. #29
    Junior
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,006
    When Cal leaves Kentucky, there will be a cloud of suspicion behind him at the very least. Vacated wins or other punishments wouldn't surprise me at all. You know, along with a Final Four or two. And Kentucky's fanbase and boosters won't care one bit about the violations.

  10. #30
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    When Cal leaves Kentucky, there will be a cloud of suspicion behind him at the very least. Vacated wins or other punishments wouldn't surprise me at all. You know, along with a Final Four or two. And Kentucky's fanbase and boosters won't care one bit about the violations.
    Hypothetically would we care if the same thing went down at Xavier?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •