Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Required Reading From Dana O'Neil

Great column on why tournament expansion is HORRIBLE for college basketball.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tourna...ana&id=5048513

Personally, I feel anyone who thinks expansion to 96 teams is a good idea is an idiot.

One of the best articles she has written.

Here's one of the truly amazing things about this: the majority doesn't want expansion of the tournament, but the NCAA is going to make it happen. The majority would like to see a tourney for college football, but the NCAA won't let it happen.

The NCAA is about money and money only. They should do away with all Prop 48 crap, any kind of regulations regarding academics, maybe even anything regarding eligibility. None of this is about the student, the athlete or the fan. It's about $$$. That's it.

Honestly, this expansion might push me over the edge...to the point where I don't give a damn about the tourney except when Xavier is playing. It's not bad enough that the NCAA has been a joke recently. Now it's turning into a whole stand-up act.

Quote Originally Posted by golfitup View Post
    Personally, I feel anyone who thinks expansion to 96 teams is a good idea is an idiot.
    Or a Big East coach. Well, I guess it's the same thing.

The sad thing about expansion is that while I HATE the idea more than I hate UC, UD, and Adam Morrison's mustache combined, I will still watch the games.

I thought about reading the article, but I think it will make me too depressed.

uggghhhh

It honestly pisses me off. I lost a lot of respect for Bobinkski for pushing this.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Good tweet by Dan Wetzel on this subject today: "NCAA won't touch postseason most hate (BCS) will screw w the one most love (hoops). Pure obstinance and corruption."

Did anyone see the press conference on ESPN.

The NCAA official basically admitted that a big part of the decision comes down to money. He stated that if they did this, it would go a long way to funding other NCAA sporting events.

Everyone recognizes that this will be bad for college basketball. It's extremely frustrating to watch this happen.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

If ESPN won coverage of the Tournament, would this article have been written?

And the teams that are going to suffer? Teams like us. Every season we talk about who the big non conference signature win is going to be. If, as most people have said, this is going to render the regular season meaningless, why would schools book games they know they have a real chance of losing.

Teams that will benefit from this? The 200-300 RPI teams that consider the non-con part of the schedule fundraising time. Prepare for a november and decemer full of games that resemble the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals, except without alll the humour.

And that game schedule sound brutal - consider for a 33-96 seeded team:
    Play Friday in Round 1, play Sunday in round 2, then play Tuesday in round 3 (it could happen), then play Thursday in round 4, then play Saturday in round 5. Survive all that, then you can get a week off for Final Four. They haven't mentioned how the game venues would go, so is it rounds 1, 2 and 3 at "First Round Sites", then 4 and 5 at regionals, then 6 and 7 at finals? Either way teams are going to have to make a wicked 'circus jump' somewehre. In that hypotheticla above. If they travel after round 2 then its play Sunday in round 2, travel Monday to new location which could be clear cross country, the round 3 on Tuesday. If they travel after round 3, then they play Tuesday in round 3, probably at 7 or 9 pm, then on Wednesday have to travel, maybe even cross country to regionals, they will barely have time to LOOK at the regionals arena, much less have time to get settled in. If they round 3 a whole new venue, then look out. Much less the fans, I mean we know airlines are so very accomodating when you try to book a flight 48 hours before the trip. I'm guessing this scenario would abolish the Dayton Flyer Invitational Play In Game.

But yeah, let's mess with what most consider to be near perfection for a tournament, while failing to establish a football tournament. For football let's just start with a 32 team tournament, We're talking 5 weeks. The college football season ends around the first week of December. By Mid January you can have that tourney done with just one round a week. Use a 16 team field and its 4 rounds. Right now we have what 3 major bowls and the BCS title game, so thats 8 teams, so 16 sounds about right. Not to mention 15 games instead of just 4, and if you don't think rabid football fans would travel as a team advances .
    - David Bowers ('95)

Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    Here's one of the truly amazing things about this: the majority doesn't want expansion of the tournament, but the NCAA is going to make it happen. The majority would like to see a tourney for college football, but the NCAA won't let it happen.
    The NCAA doesn't control football. That is controlled by the BCS. Anything that the NCAA wants for post-season football is merely a suggestion to those guys.