Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    First off, Mo Eggers is an uninformed blow hard and my guess is that his watching the elite 8 game was his first XU womens game. Secondly, if he was calling out Jason Love, Dante, or any of the other XU men as a choker, or demeaning the program or game in general, as he is obviously doing here, you guys would be just as riled. Thirdly, no one, including XUPA, said he couldn't express his views and report the news. the question is, do you do things in a classy manner, or in a moronic Howard Stern like attention grabbing smug manner. You can decide for yourselves where Mo falls. Last but not least, he's a UD guy. Nuff said there.
    Last edited by spongebob; 03-31-2010 at 11:13 AM.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    First off, Mo Eggers is an uninformed blow hard and my guess is that his watching the elite 8 game was his first XU womens game. Secondly, if he was calling out Jason Love, Dante, or any of the other XU men as a choker, or demeaning the program or game in general, as he is obviously doing here, you guys would be just as riled. Thirdly, no one, including XUPA, said he couldn't express his views and report the news. the question is, do you do things in a classy manner, or in a moronic Howard Stern like attention grabbing smug manner. You can decide for yourselves where Mo falls. Last but not least, he's a UD and UC guy. Nuff said there.

Fixed your post SpongeBob.

I feel so dirty, I unknowingly violated one of the many credos in life, that's not to give a big rats ass what any UD or UC fan says or thinks. Should have known, wlw.

I'll be showering off.

Time to get back to life, that is preparing for next season! Let's Go X!! Let's Go X!! Let's Go X!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Fixed your post SpongeBob.
    You are correct indeed. Thanks.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    First off, Mo Eggers is an uninformed blow hard and my guess is that his watching the elite 8 game was his first XU womens game. Secondly, if he was calling out Jason Love, Dante, or any of the other XU men as a choker, or demeaning the program or game in general, as he is obviously doing here, you guys would be just as riled. Thirdly, no one, including XUPA, said he couldn't express his views and report the news. the question is, do you do things in a classy manner, or in a moronic Howard Stern like attention grabbing smug manner. You can decide for yourselves where Mo falls. Last but not least, he's a UD guy. Nuff said there.
    I could not disagree with this post anymore. First off, being a UC or UD fan does not automatically disqualify one's opinion. Second off, it has been stated NUMEROUS times on this board that, although he is a UC/UD fan, Mo has given very fair and accurate reporting for the Xavier program. He defended Tutu after the Butler game, claiming it is wrong to judge 20 year olds in the heat of battle for an action like Tutu made. Mo has constantly been touted as the fair and worthy-of-listening personality in this city, even on this board. I know we seem to have a rule here that states the minute you say something bad about Xavier means you are uninformed and a bad sports personality, but that is just not true on Mo. Go back and read his blog, 90% of what he says about Xavier is positive or neutral/objective.

Now for his point, I completely agree. Keep in mind, I AM A FAN OF WOMEN'S BASKETBALL. Not a diehard and I only watch when its a team I care about, but I was at every home game of my (undergrad) D3 women's team for four years and was at multiple XU women's games this year. I appreciate the game on the women's side and enjoy the competition. However, I do understand those who do not enjoy it. Furthermore, I completely agree with Mo that you can not treat a female athlete the same as a male athlete. When talking about the game with a friend, we were both very cautious to be too critical, and it seems as if you must walk on eggshells when discussing female athletics. Case in point, the email Mo got. Now if he had said Dee Dee choked, I would be willing to bet he would have gotten multiple responses angry at him for that (see: this thread). However, if Jason Love had missed those layups to miss out on XU's first Final Four, and during his analysis of it claimed Jason choked, no one would get upset. We would all be saying it, and it would be fair.

Right or wrong, there is a sense that we must be gentler on the female athletes, that we can not be as critical or as blunt in our assessments. For Mo, that is an aspect that makes it hard for him to enjoy women's basketball. That is his prerogative. Everyone has the right to enjoy and not enjoy what they want and his is far from an ignorant or sexist reason not to. He did not say he doesn't enjoy it because female athletes are inferior, or that its not quality basketball. He is paid to analyze and give his opinion about sports, that is the way he approaches sports, therefore it is understandable that a sport where he has to be so politically correct about his analysis would turn him off.

It gets very tiring seeing every sports personality across the country be labeled good or bad based (almost solely) off of how positive or negative his/her latest comment about X was.

DD, my anger is that he states how he will cast off womens sports, won't treat them as equal to men because of his perception that he has to dance lightly.

I've never had to dance lightly, and if you've seen the coverage this half minute of basketball has recieved so far people are not dancing lightly. I've seen Dee Dee take the blame, Amber take the blame, whole team take the blame, coach take the blame, it's open season on X.
    And that's ok, it's sport these people get paid to toss out opinions and to get people to tune in or stay tuned in.

Egger's attitude boil's down to this statement "Until I can do the same with both, I'll never take the sport as seriously as I do the men's."
    So is he letting one email stop him from doing what everyone else does? Or is he using the one email as an excuse to spout a tired old sexist attitude?
    Time for people who cover sport to do just that, cover it, don't ignore it because of an internal bias.
    Egger is showing why he is now and will remain a small time pundit.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    DD, my anger is that he states how he will cast off womens sports, won't treat them as equal to men because of his perception that he has to dance lightly.

I've never had to dance lightly, and if you've seen the coverage this half minute of basketball has recieved so far people are not dancing lightly. I've seen Dee Dee take the blame, Amber take the blame, whole team take the blame, coach take the blame, it's open season on X.
    And that's ok, it's sport these people get paid to toss out opinions and to get people to tune in or stay tuned in.

Egger's attitude boil's down to this statement "Until I can do the same with both, I'll never take the sport as seriously as I do the men's."
    So is he letting one email stop him from doing what everyone else does? Or is he using the one email as an excuse to spout a tired old sexist attitude?
    Time for people who cover sport to do just that, cover it, don't ignore it because of an internal bias.
    Egger is showing why he is now and will remain a small time pundit.
    Maybe you are correct, but I see an entirely different culture around the WBB sport. Yes, you can speak frankly about the team, but you have earned that by being such a good fan. However, without "earning" that ability, it does seem different. The people on ESPN talking about the game from the Women's perspective have earned that. However, maybe it was just me but when normal Sportscenter showed it, it came off different than if that had been a male missing a shot like that. It seems like if you have not "earned" the right, you have to be careful not too come off to harsh or too critical. Even more so, in the normal sports community, those feelings seem to be even more magnified. After all, Mo's audience is Jo Schmo sports fan.

Again, I like the sport and follow the Xavier team. However, that does not mean everyone is in to it. The only thing that bothers me (and I have friends who are like this) is when people dismiss it because it is not men's basketball. They are top notch athletes and very good at what they do. However, I am also a lot like Mo. My approach to most sports is almost always more analytical than emotional. I love to dissect, analyze, and examine the intricate aspects of the games I watch. From that perspective though, I have always seemed a little more guarded in how I talk and what I say about female sports. I do feel as if people see it as an insult to be critical of female athletes in the same way we are about men. Do I think it is right, absolutely not, but I feel that sense anytime I try to talk about female sports or see female sports being discussed. Because of that, I can not blame Mo for his feelings. He is one of the most prevalent sports voices in the city. Lots of people listen to him. He believes (and I agree) that if he had come at that story as he would had it been a men's game, he would have had a bigger backlash than if it was a men's game. In fact, he experienced that while being cautious in how he approached it. First the email, and then the response to his blog post.

I just can not find blame in his stance. He does not diminish the sport or the athletes. He diminishes the manner in which people seem comfortable with analysis and critique towards the sport. For someone who is quite blunt in his feelings and analysis of the sports he follows, I can see this being a problem for Mo. Read his blog, he is quite realistic and blunt towards the UC and UD programs. However, if he were to say those same things towards a female program, I truly believe he would be labeled a sexist and a dick.

Edit: Also, he does not swear off women's sports, but women's basketball.

Double Edit: According to Lance McAllister's Twitter: "Xavier University star Amber Harris announced officially Wednesday that she will return to XU for the 2010-11 college basketball season"

GREAT NEWS!

Sophomore
    This is obviously just a short response to everything that is being said but to me it is mostly an emotional response. I first started coming to Xavier Women's B-ball games about 10 years ago when I got a free ticket. It was a gradual process to get where I am now. I've had season tickets for the last 3 years. I personally believe that no matter what the sport is if you take the time to watch them, follow them, go to road games, read about them, etc, etc. you will become a fan. I never envisioned that I would be such a die hard fan for women's college basketball, and after investing a little time and money I follow the women's team at X more than I do the men's. Incredible. 10 years ago I would have never said that was possible. The men's game and women's game is very very different, but I'll tell you what I find both equally entertaining. The crazy thing is I have absolutely NO affiliation with Xavier University at all. None! And the only reason I consider myself a member of Xavier Nation is that free ticket to a women's game I got 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by xu_fan View Post
    the only reason I consider myself a member of Xavier Nation is that free ticket to a women's game I got 10 years ago.
    Best money you ever spent right?/ Now you know why the marketing dept does what it does. Kid days, giveaways etc.

You are a true fan, and I'm sure you see the huge difference between mens and womens basketball. It's not about who can jump higher, who can dunk, who is a more prolific 3 point shooter etc etc. It's all about the effort that is put on the floor. That's why I watch all of it. from the high school level on up, boys girls men women pro amateur. It's a great game because of the effort the players put into it.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    Best money you ever spent right?/ Now you know why the marketing dept does what it does. Kid days, giveaways etc.

You are a true fan, and I'm sure you see the huge difference between mens and womens basketball. It's not about who can jump higher, who can dunk, who is a more prolific 3 point shooter etc etc. It's all about the effort that is put on the floor. That's why I watch all of it. from the high school level on up, boys girls men women pro amateur. It's a great game because of the effort the players put into it.

Could not agree more XU-PA! Honestly, basketball season is my favorite time of year by far. I could probably watch dogs and cats play against each other. I just love the sport.