Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by _LH View Post
    Miami was doing quite fine out of the MAC before Coles took over.
    Quite fine = 2 NCAA appearance in 10 years.

Coles = 3 NCAA's in 13 years, including Miami's only Sweet 16 appearance in a 64 team field.

I'm not saying Coles is a huge success, but he's not doing much worse than the program he took over.

The fact that Miami is willing and interested to convert the long-standing series to a buy game has more to do with the money required to run a football program than Coles' lack of success on the hardwood.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Sophomore
    Miami was a much better program when Sendeck was there than it is today. Coles is to blame for that.

Quote Originally Posted by _LH View Post
    Miami was a much better program when Sendeck was there than it is today. Coles is to blame for that.
    Herb was probably the exception to the rule at Miami. It's not like it used to be on the UK/UNC/Duke level and fell to the depths of college hoops when Coles took over. He just happened to follow one of the better young coaches in the country.

If Coles is so bad and has ruined the Miami program, why are they such a tough team for us to play? Chuck doesn't bring in loads of talent, but he's a quality coach. If he had more talent playing that system, Miami would be quite good. Granted, bringing in talent is part of a coach's job. But at Miami that job is a little more difficult.

EDIT: I just looked up the records and it appears that Sendek took Miami to the NCAA's one time in three years. So it's not like Coles took over for a guy who always had the team dancing. (Doesn't it seem like Herb was there longer than that?)
    Last edited by Xman95; 03-02-2010 at 09:00 PM.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Miami also had success when Joby Wright (a former Bob Knight assistant) was coaching there - I do remember the "Bomb Squad" that gave UNC a scare in the NCAAs during the early to mid-1990s. He left to take the Wyoming job and was never heard from again.

To me, Miami seems to pul all of their eggs in 1 sport - be it football when Roethlisberger was there or now when their hockey program is tops in the country. They'll be a favorite, if not the favorite, to win their first NCAA title this year. Their hockey team has to be outdrawing their basketball program at this point.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xman95 View Post
    Herb was probably the exception to the rule at Miami. It's not like it used to be on the UK/UNC/Duke level and fell to the depths of college hoops when Coles took over. He just happened to follow one of the better young coaches in the country.

If Coles is so bad and has ruined the Miami program, why are they such a tough team for us to play? Chuck doesn't bring in loads of talent, but he's a quality coach. If he had more talent playing that system, Miami would be quite good. Granted, bringing in talent is part of a coach's job. But at Miami that job is a little more difficult.

EDIT: I just looked up the records and it appears that Sendek took Miami to the NCAA's one time in three years. So it's not like Coles took over for a guy who always had the team dancing. (Doesn't it seem like Herb was there longer than that?)
    Coles had success his first three years when he was living off of Sendec's players and then the bottom fell out.

I never said Miami was UK like but their program was very close to XU's when XU was in the MCC. Miami was the class of the MAC and Coles turned them into .500 ball clubs years after year. Miami went from NCAA at large contenders to NCAA after thoughts.

I was still young the last time I saw a game at the Gardens.

Also, UC is planning a throwback-turn back the clock game where beer prices revert to what they were the last time they made the tournament.