Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterville95 View Post
    I have to agree that after building a brand new multi million dollar arena, hiriing a high profile coach, their program is aspiring to reach a new high for their program. The road to that goes through performing at the top of your conference (or near the top of your conference) on a consitent basis. If they want to be the perennial A10 second place team and earn some NCAA tourney credits, go for it.

But to start making a bold public move to advancing the state of your basketball program, to then announce you were going to an inferior conference would be sort of backwards, would it not?

At least they seem to be putting more into striving for basketball success than, oh say, that program that trades on the fact they are using the "nation's oldest gym"
    Yeah, when you build a program, success should come before facilities.

I get annoyed when X fans bitch about how cheap other A10 basketball programs are. I think SLU right now is providing us a great example of why most A10 schools decide not to heavily invest in their basketball program.

If I was the AD of GW, Lasalle, Fordham, St. Bona ect.. there is no way I would follow the SLU model and bankrupt my school. The best thing an AD can do at the above schools is to assemble a young, passionate coaching staff and worry about facilities down the road.

Staak, Gillin, and Prosser built the Cintas center...not the other way around.

(I don't know the situation at SLU. Maybe they have a lot of cash sitting around. St. Louis is a big city without another good basketball team. So maybe it's not that risky of a move)
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 01-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    D, only because that's what I read. Can't quote where I read it. Just remember thinking WOW. I was shocked and surprised. It said something to the effect that Majerus didn 't think they were up to the level of playing his liking. I remember expecting him to bring in some top recruits, but he didn't. Just thought he swapped out average players with average players. Just thought it was wrong.
    Just looking at Rivals Saint Louis recruiting.

Cory Remekun Rivals 0 star
    Cody Ellis Rivals 0 star
    Christian Salecich Rivals 0 star
    Jonathan Smith Rivals 2 star
    Jeff Reid Rivals 3 star

Daniel Lisch Rivals 0 star
    Femi John Rivals 2 star
    Brian Conklin rivals 2 star
    Kyle Cassity Rivals 3 star
    Willie Reed Rvials 3 star
    Kwamain Mitchell Rivals 3 star
    Brett Thompson Rivals 3 star #107

Not saying that these guys aren't any good, but I honestly thought he would be bringing in better talent.
    Balls of Steele!!

Dang. What are the odds of signing a player whose rating matches your waist size?

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

Cory Remekun Rivals 0 star
    Cody Ellis Rivals 0 star
    Christian Salecich Rivals 0 star
    Jonathan Smith Rivals 2 star
    Jeff Reid Rivals 3 star

Daniel Lisch Rivals 0 star
    Femi John Rivals 2 star
    Brian Conklin rivals 2 star
    Kyle Cassity Rivals 3 star
    Willie Reed Rvials 3 star
    Kwamain Mitchell Rivals 3 star

Not saying that these guys aren't any good, but I honestly thought he would be bringing in better talent.
    Once again recruiting sites arent always the best source. Especially when it comes to foreign players like Ellis and Salecich both from Australia and both having really good years, while Brett Thompson was terrible last year and transferred.

Majerus has never brought 4/5 star recruits to his schools, I dont know why you thought he would start now. However he does find good recruits who he makes better. Andre Miller, Michael Doleac, Keith Van Horn, and others. Soon to be Kwamain Mitchell, Willie Reed, Cody Ellis, Kyle Cassiy, Christian Salecich and others. SLU has got some great young talent. However young is the key word, the youngest team in the country. The nest two years should bring some great basketball from SLU.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17