Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

New Religion: Walls of the Temple come tumblin' down

I am too humble to gloat about any of this. I would find that unbecoming.

Breaking News: Hackers break into computers at reputable climate research center and post the emails and data online!

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

If you own any shares in alternative energy companies I should start dumping them NOW. The conspiracy behind the Anthropogenic Global Warming myth (aka AGW; aka ManBearPig) has been suddenly, brutally and quite deliciously exposed after a hacker broke into the computers at the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and released 61 megabites of confidential files onto the internet. (Hat tip: Watts Up With That)

When you read some of those files – including 1079 emails and 72 documents – you realise just why the boffins at Hadley CRU might have preferred to keep them confidential. As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory...
    When the walls
    Come tumblin' down
    When the walls
    Come crumblin', crumblin'
    When the walls
    Come tumblin', tumblin'
    Down

Hadley hacked: warmist conspiracy exposed?

So the 1079 emails and 72 documents seem indeed evidence of a scandal involving most of the most prominent scientists pushing the man-made warming theory - a scandal that is one of the greatest in modern science. I’ve been adding some of the most astonishing in updates below - emails suggesting conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more. If it is as it now seems, never again will “peer review” be used to shout down sceptics.

This is clearly not the work of some hacker, but of an insider who’s now blown the whistle
    When the walls
    Come tumblin' down
    When the walls
    Come crumblin', crumblin'
    When the walls
    Come tumblin', tumblin'
    Crumblin', tumblin'
    Down

Hackers have broken into the data base of the Hadley GRU unit - one of the world’s leading alarmist centres - and put the files they stole on the Internet, on the grounds that the science is too important to be kept under wraps.

The ethics of this are dubious, to say the least. But the files suggest, on a very preliminary glance, some other very dubious practices, too, and a lot of collusion - sometimes called “peer review”. Or even conspiracy.

A warning, of course. We can only say with a 90 per cent confidence interval that these emails are real.

Ethics alert! (my bolding - and I’ve update this post with the full alleged email, now):

To: ray bradley ,mann@XXXX, mhughes@XXXX
    Subject: Diagram for WMO Statement
    Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:31:15 +0000
    Cc: k.briffa@XXX.osborn@XXXX

Dear Ray, Mike and Malcolm,

Once Tim’s got a diagram here we’ll send that either later today or first thing tomorrow.

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline. Mike’s series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.

Thanks for the comments, Ray.

Cheers
    Phil

Prof. Phil Jones
    Climatic Research Unit Telephone XXXX
    School of Environmental Sciences Fax XXXX
    University of East Anglia
    Norwich .
    Nice. This could be fun.
    rumblin', rumblin'
    tumblin', tumblin'
    Down
    Last edited by Snipe; 11-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

I wonder what kind of day Al Gore is having, assuming he has been advised of this incident.
    X A V I E R

"The Blue-Dress Moment May Have Arrived"

This story is taking off. It will be tough for the media to hide this one.

Algore can suck it.

From Planet Gore:

this apparently devastating series of revelations will be very hard for the media to ignore. I didn't say impossible — they're fully vested partners in the global warming industry, because catastrophism sells. But so does scandal, and this appears to be the makings of a very big one. Imagine this sort of news coming in the field of AIDS research. Then reflect that the taxpayer spends more on climate-related research than on the entire suite of AIDS programs, far beyond drug research.
    Last edited by Snipe; 11-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Just further evidence supporting creationism.

Oh don't you go getting Emp's panties in a bunch. I said no gloating!

Looks like the Emperor has no clothes again!

From Reason Magazine:

Earlier this year, the Hadley Centre rejected accusations that it had destroyed original temperature data making it difficult for outside scientists to evaluate their adjustments to the datasets.

From the times article:

At issue is raw data from the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England, including surface temperature averages from weather stations around the world. The data was used in assessments by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, reports that EPA has used in turn to formulate its climate policies.

Citing a statement on the research unit's Web site, CEI blasted the research unit for the "suspicious destruction of its original data." According to CRU's Web site, "Data storage availability in the 1980s meant that we were not able to keep the multiple sources for some sites, only the station series after adjustment for homogeneity issues. We, therefore, do not hold the original raw data but only the value-added (i.e. quality controlled and homogenized) data."

Phil Jones, director of the Climatic Research Unit, said that the vast majority of the station data was not altered at all, and the small amount that was changed was adjusted for consistency.
    And yes that is the same Phil Jones in the email in the first post, tweaking and tricking the data. I bet he did destroy the data. Dirty rotten bastards exposed! F Them! F the New Religion!

No you can't!

To: k.briffa@uea.ac.uk
    Subject: kyrgyzstan and siberian data
    Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:37:09 -0700

Keith,

Thanks for your consideration. Once I get a draft of the central and southern siberian data and talk to Stepan and Eugene I'll send it to you.

I really wish I could be more positive about the Kyrgyzstan material, but I swear I pulled every trick out of my sleeve trying to milk something out of that. It was pretty funny though - I told Malcolm what you said about my possibly being too Graybill-like in evaluating the response functions - he laughed and said that's what he thought at first also. The data's tempting but there's too much variation even within stands. I don't think it'd be productive to try and juggle the chronology statistics any more than I already have - they just are what they are (that does sound Graybillian). I think I'll have to look for an option where I can let this little story go as it is.

Not having seen the sites I can only speculate, but I'd be optimistic if someone could get back there and spend more time collecting samples, particularly at the upper elevations.

Yeah, I doubt I'll be over your way anytime soon. Too bad, I'd like to get together with you and Ed for a beer or two. Probably someday though.

Cheers, Gary
    Gary Funkhouser
    Lab. of Tree-Ring Research
    The University of Arizona
    Tucson, Arizona 85721 USA
    phone: (520) 621-2946
    fax: (520) 621-8229
    e-mail: gary@ltrr.arizona.edu
    That doesn't beat "hide the decline" but it is nice how they juggle and milk the data. Sounds like pure science, no agenda there... (link)

Gary Funkhouser has tried and done a lot but his stomach capacity for fraud is apparently smaller than in the case of Jones, Mann, and similar thugs, so you can't be surprised that Funkhouser is less famous a climate scientist.

By the way, "FOI" in the file name stands for "Freedom Of Information", a bill in the U.S. The e-mails are full of Phil Jones' and other tricks how to circumvent the FOIA legislation: search for "FOIA".

Read it. The conclusion looks pretty clear. These people should be put in jail as soon as possible. You know, these are not just small tricks in an academic discussion. These people have acquired millions if not billions of taxpayers' money by methods that seem to be provably fraudulent.
    Have to agree with him there, these people should be locked up for fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    no you can't!

Yes we can!
    Yes we can!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    That doesn't beat "hide the decline" but it is nice how they juggle and milk the data. Sounds like pure science, no agenda there... (link)

Have to agree with him there, these people should be locked up for fraud.
    There's a Curb Your Enthusiam joke to be made since the email is from Funkhouser but I'm to lazy to do it right now.