Silversun Pickups @ Bogarts

The Silversun Pickups will be playing live at Bogarts on September 14th. If you have the time they are well worth the $30, or so bucks. I saw them in Columbus last month and really enjoyed them. The two warm-up groups, Cage the Elephant and Manchester Orchestra are also good.

Just wanted to put that plug out there. Carry on.

Am I getting old? I haven't heard of any of those groups.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Am I getting old? I haven't heard of any of those groups.
    I'll soon be 53, so that can't be it. Though it does help having 20-something kids.

Who, what, and Who?

I need to check out iTunes and see if these groups are any good.
    Zip'em Up!

Cage the Elephant has a song called "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked"

Manchester has a song titled "I've Got Friends"

Those are their big hits right now as far as I know.
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

I have a hard time with "$30" and "Bogarts". I'll probably miss some good music, but for $30, I'd like the bathroom to be cleaned more often than once a decade.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    I have a hard time with "$30" and "Bogarts". I'll probably miss some good music, but for $30, I'd like the bathroom to be cleaned more often than once a decade.
    The worst restroom in town is Snipe's kitchen. Those cats are filthy.

If you haven't heard of this band you probably just aren't paying attention. They're on their third album. That's okay.
    If you love Smashing Pumpkins, you'll probably like the Silversun Pickups. They sound EXACTLY like a Pumpkins wannabe band. Just google Siversun Pickups and Smashing Pumpkins and you'll find some funny comparisons.

Sorry, $30 is way too steep for this band. They just aren't that good.

Save your $30 and go to MidPoint where you can see more than 200 bands for that price. If you don't like one you can walk to another place to check out another. Plus, the beer will be cheaper than at Bogarts.
    Last edited by sirthought; 09-09-2009 at 01:45 PM.

I have heard about the reviews comparing SSPU with the Pumpkins. I have listened to a lot of Smashing Pumpkins over the years. When I listen to SSPU I suppose I do hear a bit of Billy Corgan, Brian Aubert does have his own style. I think that the Pumpkins are in my mind, more grunge while SSPU is more Indie rock. Also, SSPU incorporates more keyboard into their music than the Pumpkins.

I like both groups and if a young group is trying to make it big, then emulating the Smashing Pumpkins is not a bad place to start. However, I think that SSPU has established their own sound.

Just my feeling.

That would be a pretty good show. Too bad its at Bogarts.
    Talent on loan from God